ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-18, 10:55 AM

Mlr3475080 is on a distinguished road
ADHD before it was cool

Hi everyone
My name is Misty. Iím 41, F and have been living with ADHD (as like to say) before ADD was ďcoolĒ. Lol. Which obviously, to those who actually suffer from it-itís our own personal hell.
I controlled my ADHD for years with nicotine and alcohol. My ADHD comes with a **** ton of anxiety (yay). Anyway, I recently quit. And in the middle of paramedic school. So needless to say, Iím a train wreck. I tried Adderall about 10 years ago- made me a psychopath. Angry, all the time. I hyper focused (tunnel vision). My doctor recently put me on focalin 10 mg. And I feel exactly like I did on Adderall... anxious but energetic. Not helping me focus at all, but helping with the depression that comes from quitting smoking so thatís good.
My question is, Iím beginning to think stimulants just makes things worse for me. The negative outweigh the good. Anyone on anything other than a stimulant? I feel like I canít sit in my own skin... looking for alternatives. Thank you!
Old 02-11-18, 12:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,380 Times in 11,790 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD before it was cool

Did you try different doses of Adderall, waiting at least a week for any side
effects to reduce? We can be so impatient we don't try different doses or give
them enough time.

If you are very sensitive to stimulants, you may need a pediatric starting dose,
(half of your dose) titrating up slowly to find the best benefit with the least side
effect.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me