ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 02-11-18, 01:15 PM

Cas40v is on a distinguished road
Untreated adhd ruined loveing relationship in one year

Relationship of a year was ended suddenly by my 48 year old adult boyfriend that has untreated ignored adhd
Loving boyfriend that was so happy to find me after loosing touch for 15 years and eager to be with me
I knew him back then at a time he always struggling w substance abuse
And was being prescribed Desoxyn but not taking it right .
I know he has this condition but hes ignoring it
This is causing issues like crazy and the more I ha e tried to bring it to his attention the further away from hes gotten until now the spark is out
He got short w me a lot barely touched me and We argued over his lack of affection to many times
He is striving to build a business , has full cost off of his 10 year old son. Works out , goes to church w his family and is truly trying to be a success
There are no drugs of any kind and he rarely drinks .
The Following User Says Thank You to Cas40v For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-11-18)
Old 02-11-18, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Untreated adhd ruined loveing relationship in one year

Sorry to hear that
Old 02-12-18, 05:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,946 Times in 14,764 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas40v View Post
Relationship of a year was ended suddenly by my 48 year old adult boyfriend that has untreated ignored adhd
Loving boyfriend that was so happy to find me after loosing touch for 15 years and eager to be with me
I knew him back then at a time he always struggling w substance abuse
And was being prescribed Desoxyn but not taking it right .
Did you lose touch after 15 years because of his substance abuse issues? Because someone that doesnt get that under control in a positive, long term way will not be capable of thinking beyond themselves in the long run.

Quote:
I know he has this condition but hes ignoring it
This is causing issues like crazy and the more I ha e tried to bring it to his attention the further away from hes gotten until now the spark is out
He got short w me a lot barely touched me and We argued over his lack of affection to many times
Even though you and he knew that he has adhd, and even though he used to be on meds and you knew that, and even though you were prodding him to seek help, he ultimately decided that not seeking help, not getting treatment was more important to him that staying with you. I say that not to be mean but as a matter of fact. No matter how right someone is,and how badly it seems like they need treatment, only they can do it for themselves.

Quote:
He is striving to build a business , has full cost off of his 10 year old son. Works out , goes to church w his family and is truly trying to be a success
There are no drugs of any kind and he rarely drinks .
It sounds like ending the relationship was the best thing for you even if it doesnt feel that way. I mean you invested like 15 years right? After 15 years someone should have enough experience to know how to act in a relationship or at the very least be open to working on problems in a relationship. I think as much as it hurts- you will end up being better off.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-12-18), SuperP (02-15-18), Tetrahedra (02-19-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-18, 12:17 AM
Jr Member

freshish is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that. Maybe he should go to therapy or go to the doctor soon. i guess the best course of action right now is to support him. Dont give up on your partner just yet. The real him is just hiding down there somewhere.