ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-11-18, 11:56 PM

Darth_Potato is on a distinguished road
ADD has just cost me my job, again

Maybe I'll go into more detail later, but right now I'm honestly just looking for some sympathy.

I am a teacher, at least until early June, and ADD (along with a host of other mental illnesses) has cost me my third teaching job, and maybe the last. Right now my heart is broken and I've shed several tears wondering why this is happening to me.

I'm nearly 50, what am I going to do now?

Sorry to be so vague, I'm just not up to writing it all down yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth_Potato For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18), DeClutter (02-12-18), namazu (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18, 06:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD has just cost me my job, again

I am so sorry for you and want to offer you more than just sorry but I'll wait until you are comfortable enough to share.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18)
Old 02-12-18, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

I'm so sorry. ((((hugs))))
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 01:22 PM

sammyfuji is on a distinguished road

I just lost my job recently too and I'm 24. I've never held a job for more than 6 months and I have always gotten fired. I can't pay attention, or I'm exhausted and forgetful. or I move so fast I break something and freak out. Im sorry honey it'll be ok.
Old 02-12-18, 03:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I'm just so sorry. I know the feeling. Take care of yourself. It does get better
Old 02-12-18, 04:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,349 Times in 13,985 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry. Teaching with ADHD is tough!!! I hope something good will come along soon.
Old 02-16-18, 11:02 PM

Thanked 1,574 Times in 869 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I have ADHD and was a teacher. It didn't go great but then I only had 1 real contract job for 1 year in a bad school district with a lot of behavior issues- basically the expectations of me weren't that high so my disorganization and other issues weren't very obvious.

I am sorry that you are going through this. Is there any way to rectify it? You say ADD and a host of other mental illnesses have caused this 3x. Are you able to get your meds adjusted and make other adjustments to show them that you can do it?

I hope so!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 02-16-18, 11:33 PM

Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the most disappointing thing to imagine.

I'm a teacher and I KNOW teachers can pour every once of energy into their job ... and if you have ADHD, keeping track of all the teaching responsibilities is really overwhelming.

If you are at a less than supportive school--with students who are difficult--these difficulties are all compounded.

So sorry to hear this ... will wait to hear more when you are ready.

A friend of mine has this saying that part of what makes a really good teacher ... is to be tuned into others and their feelings ... and to be really open ... and giving ... and humble ... and unfortunately those qualities can all make our esteem quite fragile.

So you're not imagining the pain ... or the disappointment ... or the fatigue ... or the sense of rejection.

Tone
Old 02-19-18, 08:55 AM

For context, I am a 48 year old male who did get any kind of treatment for depression or any other mental illness until I was 33.

If this is too long, skip down to the bolded part to see what is going on with me today.

I am currently in my third and probably last teaching position.

The first one was teaching 3rd grade over 14 years ago. I actually made it 4 years and left at the end of the school year. I now know I probably wouldn't have made it even that long if not for the amazingly supportive team I had.

Year 4 of my first teaching job is also when I finally began getting treatment for depression and took a month off because of a nervous breakdown (or whatever they are calling it now).

After I quit I worked as a substitute teacher and then as a technology assistant on an elementary campus. After five years of that I worked at a local government office for four years. Then I decided I wanted to teach again because I believed it to be my calling.

I obtained a job teaching kindergarten that lasted about two months. I began having severe anxiety, broke my contract, and left after two months because I was terrified of everything all of the time.

However, this did not end my aspiration to be a teacher, which brings me to the current time.

After three more years as a substitute, and then one year as a paraprofessional at a high school, I obtained another teaching position (1st grade). After having tried various combinations of meds over the last few years, for bipolar disorder, severe anxiety, and ADD, I thought I was ready for the demands of teaching. I was very, very wrong.

I have spent this entire school year just trying to keep up, which is not unusual when you are teaching. However, this is when I finally realized that the ADD was real (even though I had been taking Adderall for 2-3 years by then) and was affecting my ability to teach.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep up with schedules, events on my calendar, or papers. And there is A LOT of that stuff. I was evaluated, and found to be lacking in all of those areas, which I could not disagree with, because they were all true. I was put on a performance improvement plan, which I failed. Even knowing the importance of it. I still overlooked details and required meetings that were part of the plan.

I failed the PIP, and was asked to resign, although I get to finish the academic year. This, in itself, causes conflict for me, because I need the job, yet I am hurting my students, because I cannot keep up with them and everything that they do or need to do. I am constantly scrambling to have enough grades each term, to keep up with grading assignments, and to help my lower performing students. I rarely know how my students are doing academically, because invariably, I put off grading most papers until the last week of the term, and then donít have time for students with missing assignments to make them up. It makes me feel like a fraud as a teacher, and that I am failing them by not provided all of the things they need to succeed.

On top of that, I am still constantly monitored, even though I am leaving at the end of the year. You can imagine the stress that puts on me.

Right now, I donít know what I am going to do after this job ends. This was my dream, and it turns out I suck at it, and probably anything else that requires a high degree of organization. I donít really know if I would ever be given a fourth chance at a teaching position, or if I should even try, now knowing the ADD will make it nearly impossible for me to keep up.

I donít what I will be doing in the future, and it breaks my heart that I am apparently not equipped to follow what I feel is my calling.

I have had several panic attacks, or near enough over the last few weeks. A couple of times I took days off because of it.

My challenge now is to make it through the rest of this year and provide at least some of the education that my students deserve.

I have begun wondering if I should ask for accommodations under the ADA to maybe help me deal with/function through the next few months.

What do I do now?

Thatís it. Thanks for reading.

(There are probably a lot of mistakes in this as I am writing it right before I have to leave for work. I will come back and edit later.)
Old 02-19-18, 09:23 AM

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

Oh goodness, you have no idea how much this thread hits me... I feel like I'm in exactly the same position as you, just without being fired...
Old 02-19-18, 11:28 AM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

I just got let go from my job too, but I was at a bad school, so it was actually a relief. But I was under a ton of stress. I could barely get out of bed in the morning.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
Old 02-20-18, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
Is there any way to rectify it? You say ADD and a host of other mental illnesses have caused this 3x. Are you able to get your meds adjusted and make other adjustments to show them that you can do it?

I hope so!
I hope so, too. I am going to see my Pdoc today, and I hope she can prescribe me something that will help me get through the rest of the academic year.

I think I was close to a panic attack at school this morning, but I doubled the amount of meds I usually take at one time. So I got through it, so far.

I don't care if she prescribes me something that turns me into a zombie for 12 or so weeks. Anything has got to be better than the way I feel now.
Old 02-20-18, 03:04 PM

I would really like quit altogether, after giving a two week notice, but right now my family cannot afford for me to quit. Which adds more stress.
Old 02-20-18, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eats_mice View Post
I just got let go from my job too, but I was at a bad school, so it was actually a relief. But I was under a ton of stress. I could barely get out of bed in the morning.
I would like to quit, but cannot afford to do that financially. Along with having no idea of what kind of job to look for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth_Potato For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:33 PM

Well, at home today. Had a really bad day yesterday. The principal talked to me (she's very nice) and talked to me about accommodations, medical leave or resigning immediately. She told me that if I did opt to resign immediately, should would not have my teaching certificate made invalid for a year, which is very nice of her.

I don't want to quit, but it's probably the best option.

This is, understandably, stressing my wife out, because we would be down to one income until I can find something that I can handle as a job.

This sucks so much. I worked so hard to become a teacher, and I find out that I can't handle it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth_Potato For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-21-18), namazu (02-21-18)