ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-12-18, 01:07 PM

sammyfuji is on a distinguished road
Cool Is it ADD or just depression and anxiety?

Hello everyone, so I'm a 24 year old female and lately, with how everything has been progressing- or not, in my life, I think I should see a psychiatrist but I'm not sure if I could possibly have ADD or if I'm just swallowed by depression and anxiety. I've taken all the silly little "screening tests online" for ADD and they all come up with Inattentive sub-type. The symptoms do match me but my god, there are so many other simple things that could be wrong with me. So basically here's a little over view list of my issues.

I don't know if I can go into all of the details of my issues. It's complicated. But I can definitely say a few things.

1. I've gotten fired from every job I have ever had besides one, and that's because I moved away. I got fired because I did not do a good job. I get extremely overwhelmed in customer service. I sucked at being a cashier and a sales associate, oh and not to mention a horrible waitress. People make me SO nervous when they're my customers and not just someone I can ignore. I'd say the same thing twice to customers, ask them twice in a row how they are, or forget they didn't even get their appetizer yet and I asked if they wanted their check because I had so many others to take care of, and I can't eventually look these people in the eyes even on a good day. I really am determined to work from home with computers like I've always dreamed of. I love technology.

2. I constantly pick at my skin, it's worse when I'm anxious, bored, or upset. It can take me hours sometimes just dazed in it (I have had dermatillomania since I was 12).

3. When I talk I out of nowhere will forget what I'm saying.

4. THIS IS THE WORST PART (and longest) OF MY STRUGGLES... Being physically frozen. Unable to accomplish any tasks even if I actually enjoyed them, like playing a video game. I get these streaks of motivation and positivity to do things, I actually sometimes try to get them in motion.

Then I find myself sitting on the bed in the same spot for 2 hours now, just thinking, staring off into space. Then crying because I just want to be able to have control of my body. I'm lucky if I get myself in the shower most days. It helps having people around, I live with my boyfriend, but because of this, because of the way I am he feels I just don't want to be apart of our team as a couple. That I don't care if I'm jobless.. and he is so wrong. And, even when I do get to finally doing SOMETHING, I am so exhausted minutes into it and I take constant breaks. Sometimes I lay down and fall asleep because my mind and body feel so tired. I can't get the trash together, water my plants, make myself food, clean up, all without days of being yelled at by my boyfriend and beating myself up to the point of physical anger and sadness.

I don't understand why I'm unable to be a normal, productive human being. My job history is so bad it's getting harder for me to find a job. I got a DUI recently and now I have no car.. it's just all getting worse and so are my symptoms. I mean, I got another job after I got my DUI but then I got fired from that place too..

5. Every day I lack the energy to do the simplest things, yet my body is so tense I'm sweating profusely with my knees crossed, biting my nails, or talking too much. Sometimes I just make random noises because I can't contain myself. Sometimes my energy peaks when I'm out with friends or just my boyfriend and I tend to be humored easily, laughing loud, and hyper during that, but once something around me or in me changes just a bit, I can be just as sad, monotone, or discouraged as I was the day before (which is usually how I am) Sometimes it's almost like I can physically feel my emotions changing.

ANYWAYS. That was long my apologies. I know a psychiatrist will dive into all of my issues with me when I one day get one, but I would love to talk to some of you guys and see what you think
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammyfuji For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18), ToneTone (02-12-18)
Old 02-16-18, 04:19 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,976 Times in 14,784 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it ADD or just depression and anxiety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyfuji View Post
Hello everyone, so I'm a 24 year old female and lately, with how everything has been progressing- or not, in my life, I think I should see a psychiatrist but I'm not sure if I could possibly have ADD or if I'm just swallowed by depression and anxiety. I've taken all the silly little "screening tests online" for ADD and they all come up with Inattentive sub-type. The symptoms do match me but my god, there are so many other simple things that could be wrong with me. So basically here's a little over view list of my issues.
I am not a doctor but I like to go with my gut and I can give you my opinions.

Quote:
1. I've gotten fired from every job I have ever had besides one, and that's because I moved away. I got fired because I did not do a good job. I get extremely overwhelmed in customer service. I sucked at being a cashier and a sales associate, oh and not to mention a horrible waitress. People make me SO nervous when they're my customers and not just someone I can ignore. I'd say the same thing twice to customers, ask them twice in a row how they are, or forget they didn't even get their appetizer yet and I asked if they wanted their check because I had so many others to take care of, and I can't eventually look these people in the eyes even on a good day. I really am determined to work from home with computers like I've always dreamed of. I love technology.
This sounds like social anxiety to me.

Quote:
2. I constantly pick at my skin, it's worse when I'm anxious, bored, or upset. It can take me hours sometimes just dazed in it (I have had dermatillomania since I was 12).
Skin picking is often associated with OCD and anxiety. Are you being treated for anything?

Quote:

4. THIS IS THE WORST PART (and longest) OF MY STRUGGLES... Being physically frozen. Unable to accomplish any tasks even if I actually enjoyed them, like playing a video game. I get these streaks of motivation and positivity to do things, I actually sometimes try to get them in motion.

Then I find myself sitting on the bed in the same spot for 2 hours now, just thinking, staring off into space. Then crying because I just want to be able to have control of my body. I'm lucky if I get myself in the shower most days. It helps having people around, I live with my boyfriend, but because of this, because of the way I am he feels I just don't want to be apart of our team as a couple. That I don't care if I'm jobless.. and he is so wrong. And, even when I do get to finally doing SOMETHING, I am so exhausted minutes into it and I take constant breaks. Sometimes I lay down and fall asleep because my mind and body feel so tired. I can't get the trash together, water my plants, make myself food, clean up, all without days of being yelled at by my boyfriend and beating myself up to the point of physical anger and sadness.
This sounds like severe depression. Depression and adhd can overlap and they can also mimic each other as well.

Quote:
I don't understand why I'm unable to be a normal, productive human being. My job history is so bad it's getting harder for me to find a job. I got a DUI recently and now I have no car.. it's just all getting worse and so are my symptoms. I mean, I got another job after I got my DUI but then I got fired from that place too..
What was the dui for? Can you share the circumstances?

Quote:
5. Every day I lack the energy to do the simplest things, yet my body is so tense I'm sweating profusely with my knees crossed, biting my nails, or talking too much. Sometimes I just make random noises because I can't contain myself. Sometimes my energy peaks when I'm out with friends or just my boyfriend and I tend to be humored easily, laughing loud, and hyper during that, but once something around me or in me changes just a bit, I can be just as sad, monotone, or discouraged as I was the day before (which is usually how I am) Sometimes it's almost like I can physically feel my emotions changing.
I swear this reminds me of the rapid cycling that happens with bipolar- but it strongly suggests anxiety/depression.

I dont see much that reminds me of adhd-but that could be because there is so much else going on. Frankly, Im shocked that you arent already under the care of a psychiatrist- or that your BF didnt insist that you see one. I mean I know its not his responsibility but as someone who loves you and wants to see you succeed it would seem like the logical thing to do.
Please see someone. Your life can get better.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-16-18), ToneTone (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 08:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of times when people think they have ADD...they do\\

when people have chronic emotional problems it generally indicates poor emotional regulation...and so does the rest of your post

ADHD ( the PI subtype is misleading if you go by the current accepted russell barkley model) is a disorder now defined by poor self regulation (emotional regulation )

that's the best i can do

good luck and welcome!!!
Old 02-16-18, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,206 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're having having a tough time ... and a tough time figuring out what's going on ...

Here's the only thing I would say ... When you're out of sorts as you describe yourself to be ... trying to figure out why you're out of sorts ... doesn't really work ... Your brain is overwhelmed with depression or anxiety or paralysis or loss of confidence ... perhaps a combination of a number of things ..

You don't need to assume this is strictly brain ... you could have hormone issues ... thyroid ... all kinds of stuff ... bottom line ... why not just get to a doctor and a therapist and start the process of trying to get some release from the pain you're in ...

I say start the process ... because you can start with a family doctor ... tell of your issues and struggles and go from there ... it's a process ... to find the right docs ... right treatment ... right therapies ... right meds ...

But really just go and tell them of your struggles ... you'll get a response ... you don't like the response, get to another doctor ...

No need to have to figure this out yourself ... that's my new goal in life ... less time spent trying to figure out what's wrong with me and a more quick trip to the doctor or whoever to simply report my symptoms and let them use their best judgment to figure out what's going on ...

Obviously research can make for a more informed patient ... but I think you're past the point of research ...

Have you been treated for anything or diagnosed with anything before?

Tone
Old 02-19-18, 05:12 PM

Made4Match is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing everything that has been going on. It sounds like you’ve faced some challenges in your life and are trying to find a way to work through all of them. Out of curiosity, if you were to talk with a counselor and were diagnosed with either depression or ADD what would that mean to you? If this was to occur, I hope you know that this doesn’t define you as a person and wouldn’t have to be something that hinders you or your future. Diagnoses can often help people seek the support that they need to help them find success. Sadly though, individuals often use those diagnoses as a way to show others that “something is wrong with them.” I don’t see this as the case at all though! I see a diagnose as a way to learn how to love on yourself more than you typically would.

It sounds like you worked within positions that weren’t the greatest fit for you and that’s okay! I think it’s awesome that you know so well that you love technology and want to pursue a career within a technological field. I think it’s so cool when individuals are able to work with computers and technology and put things together that way! I just hope you know that I think you’re really gifted and talented! I think you’re capable of creating something truly unique when it comes to technology. Maybe consider creating your own website or software? I believe the opportunities you have available to you are endless and I would love to see where the future takes you!
Old 03-25-18, 09:33 PM

fregpie is on a distinguished road

Perhaps consider, that you are not afflicted with a brain disorder, but what I would call "discernment". Perhaps, you simply are not satisfied with the common myths that serve to make sense of the world. I have tried ritalin, and found an initial spike of positivity, followed by a return to a disatisfaction with things as they are. We are not broken; we simply "see." May I recommend:

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari

Last edited by namazu; 03-26-18 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: ADDF guidelines prohibit religious discussion / promotion of particular faith traditions -- see ADDF guidelines.
Old 03-26-18, 05:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,976 Times in 14,784 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregpie View Post
Perhaps consider, that you are not afflicted with a brain disorder, but what I would call "discernment". Perhaps, you simply are not satisfied with the common myths that serve to make sense of the world. I have tried ritalin, and found an initial spike of positivity, followed by a return to a disatisfaction with things as they are. We are not broken; we simply "see." May I recommend:

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari
If the OP has adhd then they are afflicted with a brain disorder.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-26-18, 10:59 PM

Thanked 10,182 Times in 3,202 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The most common co-occurring/comorbid conditions for females with ADHD (as the

primary problem), are Depression & Anxiety.

Hope that helps.

tc

Robert
Old 03-29-18, 09:24 PM

Thanked 10,182 Times in 3,202 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Being unable to hold (or keep) employment, is one of the most tell tale impairments

associated with (real) ADHD.

Good Luck.

tc

Robert