ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-18, 07:01 PM

Aantsnow is on a distinguished road
Any advice is awesome

Was taking 15 mg Xr everyday for about 2 months but eventually built tolerance. Started working in merchandising dept of a company 2 days (Monday and Tuesday) a week which requires a lot of focus and attention to detail. Wasnít really motivated on my 15 xr so I tried to experiment and take (2) 15xr before work. It went great, really motivated, euphoria, focus etc. only down side is I donít sleep but about two hours the first night (Monday) but by Tuesday night Iím ready to crash so that work . Now since Iíve doubled up on the two days, I stopped taking even my prescribed dosage the rest of the week for fear of building a tolerance. I started this about 3 weeks ago and today I noticed the slightly wear off about an hour or two earlier than usual. Is this the inevitable tolerance building? And if so, am I still better off only taking my adderall as needed but maybe asking for 20XR. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

** I havenít mentioned this to my psychiatrist yet. Iíll see her in two weeks to discuss.... hard to get her by phone and didnít want to confuse her over an email by trying to explained I was experimenting with my meds.
Old 02-16-18, 08:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,834 Times in 7,139 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice is awesome

***Moderator Note***
Please be aware that our medication guidelines prohibit discussions regarding the seeking of advice and or the endorsement of taking more medication than prescribed.
Please refrain.

Cheers,
Hound.
Old 02-16-18, 09:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Experimenting with meds without the guidance of a doctor is never a good idea.
Never!

Suddenly doubling your dose can cause some really unwelcome side effects.

I don't think you built "tolerance" so much as your workload increased so that
you need more Adderall to handle the bigger stress.

ADHD affects more than just our work (or school), so it's best to take it every
day and not put the demand of adjusting to taking or not taking it from day to
day on your system.

Please take the Adderall as directed until you can talk to the psychiatrist about
increasing the dose gradually until you find the best coverage.

I hope you're not looking for that euphoria or rush ... because that road leads
to addiction and taking more and more meds to find that feeling.

Don't even tell the psych that you "experimented." Just say that due to work
demands your usual dose isn't working as well and you'd like to try an increase.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-18, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Never!

you need more Adderall to handle the bigger stress

day on your system.

Please take the Adderall as directed until you can talk to the psychiatrist about

demands your usual dose isn't working as well and you'd like to try an increase.
Thanks for the response... very helpful

Also my work load hasnít really increased. The first two weeks I could feel the effect last from about 6:30am to about 1-1:30pm. Today I could feel it wear off about 11:30am. I think it was the lack of sleep.

** no im not chasing the euphoric high, I just want to perform to the best of my abilities at my job.
Old 02-16-18, 11:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

"Work load" may not have been what you meant when you said your job had
changed so that two days a week you needed sharper focus and attention.
But it was clearly a change.

Not sleeping well is certainly one of the things that can make your meds work
less effectively.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-17-18, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Never!

you need more Adderall to handle the bigger stress

day on your system.

Thanks for the response... very helpful

Also my work load hasnít really increased. The first two weeks I could feel the effect last from about 6:30am to about 1-1:30pm. Today I could feel it wear off about 11:30am. I think it was the lack of sleep.

** no im not chasing the euphoric high, I just want to perform to the best of my abilities at my job.
Old 02-17-18, 07:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,952 Times in 14,766 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think the inconsistency of your dosing could be an issue as well as the amount and when you take it. Taking it regularly is what your doc has asked you to do but you have taken more than the prescribed dose on some days and none on other days. I also think that taking it more often in smaller doses could help. I take my xr three times a day with a dex booster as my last dose. The tolerance thing is not as common as you think and everyone always worries about it before there is an issue.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-17-18)