ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 03-08-18, 06:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all
Re: Fear of taking the first pill?!

Just came from my psych and he upped the dose to 54 mg a day.

The pharmacy didn't have the Sandos brand in stock, only the Mylan, so i took the real Concerta this time. It costs 6 times more, but worth some peace of mind, because i've read some negative reports about Mylan (same substance so could be subjective of course), and i know i should try out myself but i will mind**** a lot anyway about what the upped dose is doing and therefor it feels best to at least eliminate thoughts that any bad result could be caused by the brand.

This is how my mind works, so very sensitive to suggestions.... well ones i get used to the dose i can always switch back to a cheaper brand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-08-18), Little Missy (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

Day 1 on Concerta 54 mg. Wow, this is something completely different!

The lower dose just gave me hints about some positive effects and made me even more aware of my adhd symptoms. Although the dose is upped, i don't feel 'medicated' anymore, i could focus on important stuff and for the first time i can remember, i was able to relax this afternoon and read some chapters in a book! So this it how normal people feel?!

I was diagnosed over 6 months ago and now some grieve starts kicking in... like i've been asleep all my life, fighting to get things done, the noise in my head and so much more. At the same time, i'm grateful to experience today what can be. It lasted for about 8 hours, so far no side effects only my 'normal' state coming back... i want to go to sleep now because i'm looking forward to have another day like this tomorrow

Of course this can just be part of the euphoric first days on this new dose, and i also worry about the nights these coming weeks... mornings are not so bad when i start with coffee and i can try to start the meds a little later this weekend so it will last a little longer. The psychiatrist already said that it could be possible that i might need an additional ritalin for the nights. Well i have to be patient and see what happens coming 2.5 weeks. But for now it's very promising at least!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-10-18), Little Missy (03-09-18), ToneTone (03-10-18)
Old 03-19-18, 08:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Day 10 on Concerta 54mg.

I'm on a wrong rhythm for a week now... going to sleep around 2 am, waking up after 10 and taking my meds around 11. When i took them earlier in the morning, they seemed to last only 7-8 hours or so, so i started to take them later for the nights, but now they seem to work longer? I just have to kick my lazy *** tomorrow morning and actually get up when my alarm goes off.

I'm not complaining though, the meds are working for me, no side effects and i feel so much better, more energy and actually like doing things once i get myself started (!) and i haven't slept this good like forever!

Maybe i'm still on a honeymoon period this is such a game changer for me. It's like getting parts of myself back that were lost in always having to adjust or isolate myself because that was so exhausting. I've always been afraid to be too much, so i kept myself small. Now i'm much more free to be me and as a side product i'm more creative and also more present to others, which motivates my system with more rewarding imprints.

What remains is finding the right buttons to put my active mode on when i don't have any appointments with other people. Planning a weekly to do list worked fine as long as it lasted, i don't know why i stopped doing it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-19-18), Little Missy (03-19-18), stef (03-20-18), ToneTone (03-19-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 09:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

When I first went on Concerta, I felt so energized and alive. It wasn't a buzz, but it was as if all kinds of obstacles had been moved out of my way. I felt really "present" in my life.

Use this period to plan for the long term ... good sleep, exercise ... some kinda (even flexible) routines and rituals ...

The temptation is to go unconscious and sort outsource all our functioning to the medication. That, trust me, doesn't work. Try not to have the medication do ALL the work ... Help the med and yourself out by building up in your life all around.

Sleep, exercise, breaks ... walks ... look to build on your strengths ... looking where you can outsource tedious work ... I'm about to do my taxes online ... (Used to kill two days to fill out my taxes and even then there are scratch-outs and all of that).

Good luck!

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 06:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
When I first went on Concerta, I felt so energized and alive. It wasn't a buzz, but it was as if all kinds of obstacles had been moved out of my way. I felt really "present" in my life.
Yes that's it exactly!!

Quote:
Use this period to plan for the long term ... good sleep, exercise ... some kinda (even flexible) routines and rituals ...

The temptation is to go unconscious and sort outsource all our functioning to the medication. That, trust me, doesn't work. Try not to have the medication do ALL the work ... Help the med and yourself out by building up in your life all around.

Sleep, exercise, breaks ... walks ... look to build on your strengths ... looking where you can outsource tedious work ... I'm about to do my taxes online ... (Used to kill two days to fill out my taxes and even then there are scratch-outs and all of that).
Thank you for this, i needed to hear that because yes there is that temptation! The psych told me to go and do things now, and some i already have and that feels good, but over the past days there has been a setback in old habits, and beating myself up for -again- letting days pass by doing nothing even when the meds work so well. They work but i have to do the work ;-) i'm still the same person with ad(h)d. It's really good to have this pointed out by some one who experienced the same thing, to know it's how this works and get back on track with it!
Old 03-20-18, 12:23 PM

ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

And change occurs slowly ... even with the best medication, most of us have to slowly build new and better habits ... often good just to focus on one area of life and work on that area ...

Some of these changes take years ... I've been working on better sleep for years ... and I have indeed made progress ... the night-owl thing just always blew up in my face ... so i'm going to bed earlier ... which requires about five different steps in order to feel sleepy earlier ... took years to figure out all those different steps ... one of these for me is to start dimming the lights hours before I go to bed ...

We don't go from sitting on the couch to running a marathon by flipping a switch or taking a drug ... a ton of training and practice ...Same with ADHD and organization, but the meds can give us a crucial boost.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-21-18)
Old 03-20-18, 01:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaia.S View Post
Day 10 on Concerta 54mg.

I'm on a wrong rhythm for a week now... going to sleep around 2 am, waking up after 10 and taking my meds around 11. When i took them earlier in the morning, they seemed to last only 7-8 hours or so, so i started to take them later for the nights, but now they seem to work longer? I just have to kick my lazy *** tomorrow morning and actually get up when my alarm goes off.

---SNIP---
Similar issues for me since starting the meds. What I did is;
  • Fix a wake-up time at my previous normal of 5AM. Alarm goes off, reach for first dex dose and glass of water. Taking the Dex first thing makes it easier to get going in the morning. I have to be careful because I can fall asleep before or after the Dex kicks in.
  • Target going to bed at previous norm 9-10PM, but really just go to bed whenever tired.
  • At first I go to sleep too late and drag-*** in the morning. By fixing a wake-up time and taking meds first thing, I'll eventually start falling asleep earlier and earlier until it reaches an equilibrium.
  • It is very easy to disrupt the cycle also. If I stay up too late for a day or two I have to fight morning wake-up again much worse than before meds.

GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-21-18)
Old 03-27-18, 03:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Day 18 on Concerta 54 mg... side effects kick in?

I have been away for the weekend, taking care of 2 dogs and a guesthouse, it was a bit stressful already on forehand but i thought i would be a good break to get in a better daily rhythm and practise with different situations outside the normal ones at home.

First challenge was a 2 hours car drive. After my first panic attack last year while being on the road, i'm always a little afraid to be on the highway, and now with medication i didn't know what to expect. The drive went pretty well, even without the 'almost panic attacks' i had before the medication. But apparently it took a lot of me, because just after i arrived, my friends started asking me questions about how i'm doing and what i'm doing in life, and i had a hard time digging deep for answers and somehow felt like having to deliver a performance? Looking back i should have said something like i need a little time to land before talking, but no i tried to answer right away even when i noticed somehow i couldn't. That made me very anxious.

On the second day one of the small dogs was suddenly attacked by a very big other dog, and i totally freaked out. Luckily the dogs were okay in the end, but i was out of balance for hours because of these sudden emotions of fear and anger, couldn't focus on work in the evening and again, that made me insecure about myself and therefor anxious.

On the third day i had a meeting on my way home and another in the evening... the drive and meetings went well and i slept good, but today at another appointment, again i was confronted with this hard time coming up with answers from the mind... how can i explain? When the subject is 'heart based' i can focus very well, but when it feels like i have to give certain information that's not 'alive' for me in that moment, it seems further away in my brain, and i get very insecure. That, together with tiredness and worries about my anxiety over the past days, effects my thinking also i suppose? And the fact that people don't know i'm on medication nor about the current work i'm doing, makes it also a bit difficult for me to relate... like i'm not prepared for conversations when it's about me?

What do you think could be going on? Is my dose too high after all? Am i asking too much of myself having this busy time doing too many things, while being relatively new on medication? Should i re-learn how to pull the break, also in conversations? Is there more than adhd going on? This thursday i'm seeing my psych again...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-27-18), stef (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 06:09 PM

Part of learning to work with this condition ... (and actually part of life) is noticing your energy patterns.

If you spend a lot of energy driving some place and keeping a lid on the anxiety and panic attacks, you may be exhausted (mentally and emotionally) later. So you don't feel like digging into deep introspection when asked questions. That's part for the course.

We are not machines or robots that can move at a certain pace, steadily for 24 hours a day.

So I would say pay attention to when you feel tired or don't feel like getting deep and think about the actions you took before then ... Most likely you are getting clues ... And by the way, there's nothing wrong with not feeling like going all deep in response to people's questions ... After a long day, I don't wanna get deep ... and that's fine.

Also, I have noticed that following an intense day (in which I have stayed "on task" and focused for a long period of time), the next day, I find it really hard to be as intense ...

There's a statement out there at a lot of planning and organization experts make ... Basically, the statement goes ... "it's not time management you want to focus on ... so much as energy management." You want to notice your energy ups and downs ... and allow for that ... The point is not to randomly schedule some event when we can easily predict that our minds will be tired.

Ideally, you want to schedule a reasonable amount each day ... a reasonable amount of actions that require a lot of focus and emotional energy ...

I have a job where I work mostly from home and sometimes I'll work on weekends to "catch up." ... Well, it usually happens that if I don't take a weekend day off ... come say the following Wednesday, my brain shuts off ... it's telling me it needs a break. With ADHD, you have to be mindful of energy more than most people ... but truly the best organized folks I know (total non-ADHD people) are very aware of the energy they expend on various tasks ... and they schedule breaks ... and fun times ... and they are realistic about how much attention they can bring to any one day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-28-18), PoppnNSailinMan (03-30-18), stef (03-28-18)
Old 03-28-18, 05:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Part of learning to work with this condition ... (and actually part of life) is noticing your energy patterns.

If you spend a lot of energy driving some place and keeping a lid on the anxiety and panic attacks, you may be exhausted (mentally and emotionally) later. So you don't feel like digging into deep introspection when asked questions. That's part for the course.

We are not machines or robots that can move at a certain pace, steadily for 24 hours a day.

So I would say pay attention to when you feel tired or don't feel like getting deep and think about the actions you took before then ... Most likely you are getting clues ... And by the way, there's nothing wrong with not feeling like going all deep in response to people's questions ... After a long day, I don't wanna get deep ... and that's fine.

Also, I have noticed that following an intense day (in which I have stayed "on task" and focused for a long period of time), the next day, I find it really hard to be as intense ...

There's a statement out there at a lot of planning and organization experts make ... Basically, the statement goes ... "it's not time management you want to focus on ... so much as energy management." You want to notice your energy ups and downs ... and allow for that ... The point is not to randomly schedule some event when we can easily predict that our minds will be tired.

Ideally, you want to schedule a reasonable amount each day ... a reasonable amount of actions that require a lot of focus and emotional energy ...

I have a job where I work mostly from home and sometimes I'll work on weekends to "catch up." ... Well, it usually happens that if I don't take a weekend day off ... come say the following Wednesday, my brain shuts off ... it's telling me it needs a break. With ADHD, you have to be mindful of energy more than most people ... but truly the best organized folks I know (total non-ADHD people) are very aware of the energy they expend on various tasks ... and they schedule breaks ... and fun times ... and they are realistic about how much attention they can bring to any one day.

This is so very helpful again ToneTone, it feels like you know me!

So i'm having more energy and focus now, but when i let that just run wild, either i spend days doing 'nothing' when i don't make plans, or spend days doing too much when there are a lot of plans with others. In both cases i beat myself up, for either not having organised my day, or disappoint myself when i expect too much from my brain functions. This makes my adhd worse, medicated or unmedicated.

I'm trying to recall now, how i handled this without the medication. As i was on my regular job, i was always exhausted. After i quit my job and that structure fell away, i lost myself in things like brain fog and panic attacks.

I'm re-reading your previous posts in this topic now:

"The temptation is to go unconscious and sort outsource all our functioning to the medication."
That goes also for the negative effects, i guess? I blame the medication for making me anxious, but it could very well be me doing that to myself, because i don't manage my routines and energy levels in a healthy aware way yet. When i talk about this and read your reassuring answer, the anxiousness gets much less, so it's mostly happening in my head, and not because of the medication?

"And change occurs slowly ... even with the best medication, most of us have to slowly build new and better habits ... often good just to focus on one area of life and work on that area ..."
Yes, i noticed that i'm asking too much of myself when i have to focus on several area's at the same time. I ignored warning signs and just kept going, i couldn't say no when i felt i should. I'm more enthusiastic about things now, but i over-estimate myself and use my improved energy the wrong way (focus outwards immediately instead of slowing down and look inwards first).

Looking at the positive effects, my sleep has improved a lot and i'm getting back from people who know me, that i'm more calm now (ahem that was before the weekend, after i was very scattered) and much more present when it comes to being creative or taking initiatives. I recall some sharing here, that i should not evaluate the meds on how i feel, but on my actions. When i look at my actions, i'm doing so much more already. Somehow it's easier to look at what's not working (like the anxiety) as i'm used to be very hard on myself, than looking at what went well... i did manage to drive there and take care of the things that needed to be taken care off... but i did not take very good care of myself.

So i'm going to write your suggestions down and put it out there on the table, that's where i need to focus on first. And find balance in what the medication is doing for me, and what i need to do myself. And keep awareness on the fact that i still have adhd, and now that i'm writing that down, i get a little emotional about it... like it keeps on dropping in on deeper levels, and i'm grateful for that at the same time, because without, i would be terrified for really loosing it, and that's a thing my mind does, when i'm not aware of what's really going on and don't share about it.

I'm so grateful for you and this forum, best therapy for me is sharing with people who have been where i am, and not talking me down because of the things that are not working (i'm so over-sensitive for suggestions, from myself or others), but giving me recognition and clues on how to handle things so i can feel a little more 'normal' again, and from there i find new inspiration to go on
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-28-18), PoppnNSailinMan (03-30-18), stef (03-28-18), ToneTone (03-28-18)
Old 03-30-18, 11:29 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
And change occurs slowly ... even with the best medication, most of us have to slowly build new and better habits ... often good just to focus on one area of life and work on that area ...
And it's especially slow if you start the whole process off when you're in your 50's like me! As we all know, teaching old dogs new tricks is much more difficult.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 01:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

The medication has its effects right away. It doesn't need time to build up in your system. However, often there are (positive) side effects that go away after a few days, such as increased energy/confidence/motivation. Don't base your expectations on that.

Your mental baggage, life skills, habits, etc. do not get fixed right away. That requires effort on your part.

I hope that provides a helpful way for you to reflect upon your experience!
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 02:03 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
The medication has its effects right away. It doesn't need time to build up in your system. However, often there are (positive) side effects that go away after a few days, such as increased energy/confidence/motivation. Don't base your expectations on that.

Your mental baggage, life skills, habits, etc. do not get fixed right away. That requires effort on your part.

I just raised the dosage of my medication a few days ago and have indeed been feeling much more confident, decisive and motivated since then which has allowed me to get a lot of things done, some of which I had been procrastinating for months about doing. I hope that this doesn't go away!!
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 05:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post

The effect comes right away, but that fact can also be misleading... like if it doesn't do exactly what i want or need from it right away, something might be wrong? And then the fear comes in, especially after the first euphoric days... what if this isn't right for me, and i have no controle over it once it's in my body (fear for side effects, not knowing what to expect). And not knowing anymore what things are caused by the meds, or what's still ADHD?

So i notice that i have to get used to it first, to the idea of it, having meds in my body, how that feels, built confidence that this is what it is and it's okay, and knowing me, that takes some time. I still have to learn how to deal with my ADHD, and now with meds even more, not just because of the effects, but also because i can't think anymore: "once i'm on medication, everything will change". It feels like i have all the right support now, and now facing that this is how far it gets and i have to work it!

For that reason, and because of the positive effects on my actions, i'll stay on 54mg Concerta for the following weeks. That gives me some peace already, after having seen the psych and get his reassurance... haha and now i even get a bit over self confident, like i should have asked for extra ritalin for the nights already, while the days before i saw him i considered even that my dose might be too high
Old 03-31-18, 07:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I just raised the dosage of my medication a few days ago and have indeed been feeling much more confident, decisive and motivated since then which has allowed me to get a lot of things done, some of which I had been procrastinating for months about doing. I hope that this doesn't go away!!
Yes i also felt like that after the dose was upped, i even kissed the medsbox

With me it went something like this: first days very happy, then i got sloppy in being aware of my own actions, followed by doing either too little (<2nd week) or too much (<3rd week), which made me axious and doubt the medication... and now, after some very good feedback/advice here on this forum, and seeing my psych to know it's all good, it feels like a new period, where i can learn to trust the medication, and focus on DOING MY PART (writing that out loud because it's a challenge ;-)). I have a lot more energy and creativity, better sleep, less dark/unproductive thoughts, and panic attacks transformed to 'just anxiety', which i can learn to manage better.

This is 6 weeks after starting with the medication (Concerta 36mg), and 3 weeks after upping the dose (Concerta 54mg). Next evaluation with psych is in 4 weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (03-31-18)