ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-18, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future
Impact of self medication post diagnosis....

Just realizing now...

Self medication practices (nicotine and caffeine) I picked up during my journey are probably going to be causing me a lot of harm now...

Sigh, dealing with those addictions is gonna be an absolute pain
Old 02-19-18, 10:27 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Impact of self medication post diagnosis....

MY experience is that it will be a pain. Just realize that in addition to the PITA problems/symptoms of quitting there will also be those reemerging symptoms that you were self medicating that you need to identify and address. (Hope that made sense.) GL, -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-19-18), stef (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighduck View Post
Just realizing now...

Self medication practices (nicotine and caffeine) I picked up during my journey are probably going to be causing me a lot of harm now...

Sigh, dealing with those addictions is gonna be an absolute pain
I can see the nicotine being bad but is the caffeine terrible?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 11:37 AM

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

Doesn't play too well with methylphenidate I believe
Old 02-19-18, 11:46 AM

Thanked 21,254 Times in 11,386 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I always drink coffee no matter what I take, but others are more sensitive to it.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (02-21-18), stef (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 12:09 PM
Jr Member

yentzee is on a distinguished road

I cant have anymore coffe at all. Not the worst thing in the world. Also my habbits of selfmedicating at raves completely changed for the better since taking methylphenidat.
Old 02-19-18, 12:11 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

You will find what works for you in balance with everything else.

I think dextroamphetamine, caffeine, and (vaped) nicotine is a great way to start the day for me.

That said, I don’t consume 500+mg/day of caffeine like I used to, and I don’t chain vape...based on the stats from my device, I tend to have, on average, 7 draws per day.

Those things work for me and with my ADHD meds. Your experience will likely vary.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-19-18), Little Nut (02-20-18), stef (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 11:34 PM

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,204 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Caffeine ... not a biggie at all ...

You can gradually cut caffeine if you want ... that's not a killer habit to break ... just do it gradually ... start with say 3/4 caffeinated 1/4 decaf ... and cafe's will happily to do that ... 1/2 caf and 1/2 decaf is called officially "halfcaf."

I use nicotine ... but I only use gum ... so consider gum or lozenges as replacement ...

But no, I don't see any high price with caffeine ... not sure why you think that ... I've drunk coffee through absolutely every med and every dose I've taken, though i recently reduced as I'm getting older and coffee is running me to the bathroom ...

These are hardly the worst self-medication substances out there ... there are a ton worse products than these two ...

Tone
Old 02-21-18, 05:05 PM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Don’t smoke cigarettes.

Do the gum and try the vape.

That’s a post synopsis.

Your gums will thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-21-18)