ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-18-18, 02:08 PM

arsenalfan22 is on a distinguished road
Drug Test for Prescription

Last week my doc randomly drug tested me. I was never made aware this was part of my treatment, but as I was taking the test he had me sign a contract. It was a saliva test, not urine. Also, I was kind of frazzled, so I never asked what exactly they were testing for.

I am freaking out because the week before I was at a party where I consumed alcohol and cocaine. I drink occasionally but I rarely do drugs. If he would have tested me at any other point in our relationship I would have passed.

I know I made I mistake, and I am very mad at myself. I have done a ton of research, and it seems like there's a decent chance the test will come up negative. I am just frightened and need guidance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arsenalfan22 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-18-18), psychopathetic (02-23-18)
Old 02-18-18, 03:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drug Test for Prescription

Doctors sometimes do a drug test to make sure you are actually taking your
meds and not selling them to someone else.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
arsenalfan22 (02-18-18), mildadhd (02-18-18)
Old 02-18-18, 04:20 PM

Do you know if they test for other things?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-18, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

Well, they test for other drugs, not just prescription medication. A quick google search told me that cocaine is one of them that they test for, though I didn't take time to see how long this particular drug stays in the system and whether it would be detectable a week later on a saliva test.

Did he give you a copy of the contract? If he didn't, he should have, pending local laws.
Old 02-18-18, 05:38 PM

The first time I saw the contract was minutes before I took the test. I didn't even get a chance to read it. I am a little upset because I was only made aware of this contract long after my treatment began. I take my treatment very seriously, so I would have adjusted my behavior accordingly had I read the contract.
Old 02-19-18, 02:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

Drug testing isn't something you're supposed to "study" or prepare for. It's supposed to be a snapshot of your current position. Though if you do turn up with cocaine positive on your drug test, maybe that's a good thing because the doctor can put you on a non-stimulant medication rather than giving you stimulants. I don't suppose it's unusual to find such illegal drugs in people with ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 10:18 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey Arsenal, I sincerely hope it works out and GL. If you do pass this test, I think you need to ask yourself what are you honestly going to do at the next party that someone offers up a line of coke or some other party favor? -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-19-18)
Old 02-23-18, 05:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,204 Times in 14,318 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfan22 View Post
Last week my doc randomly drug tested me. I was never made aware this was part of my treatment, but as I was taking the test he had me sign a contract. It was a saliva test, not urine. Also, I was kind of frazzled, so I never asked what exactly they were testing for.

I am freaking out because the week before I was at a party where I consumed alcohol and cocaine. I drink occasionally but I rarely do drugs. If he would have tested me at any other point in our relationship I would have passed.

I know I made I mistake, and I am very mad at myself. I have done a ton of research, and it seems like there's a decent chance the test will come up negative. I am just frightened and need guidance.
Quote:
How Cocaine Is Detected on Drug Tests
cocaineCocaineís half-life is nearly just as short at only an hour. This means that it takes about an hour for half of the cocaine consumed to leave the body. However, heavy, long-term use will cause the drug to start to accumulate in body tissues, allowing certain tests to detect the drug in the system for an extended period of time.
For example, after a single use of cocaine, agents created by the metabolization of the drug can be detected in a personís urine for 2-4 days. However, for chronic users, or if it follows a heavy binge, cocaine can be detected in urine for up to 12 days. The length that urine tests are effective also depend on the size of the dose and the purity of the substance. Extremely high doses can cause cocaine metabolites to be detectable for up to 3 weeks.

Cocaine can also be detected in the blood and saliva for an average of 12-48 hours after last use. Unlike many other intoxicants, cocaine will stay in a personís sweat for an extended period of time, up to several weeks. It can also be found in a userís hair for years after an individual stops taking the drug. However, urine is the preferred method of testing for most medical facilities and in legal situations.
Anyone who regularly needs to be tested for cocaine is likely to have an addiction disorder.
My doctor never used to drug test but with the DEA stuff thats gotten tougher about 3 years ago I signed a contract acknowledging she could drug test me any time she wants to. I havent been drug tested since but anything is possible. I dont like it but I also have nothing to hide. I get it why she does this as she has to protect her license.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (02-23-18), ToneTone (02-24-18)
Old 02-23-18, 07:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
My doctor never used to drug test but with the DEA stuff thats gotten tougher about 3 years ago I signed a contract acknowledging she could drug test me any time she wants to. I havent been drug tested since but anything is possible. I dont like it but I also have nothing to hide. I get it why she does this as she has to protect her license.
In addition to Sarah's excellent information there, I would like to add that a swab will not show cocaine you used last week even if you won the lottery and pretended to be Tony Montana for a weekend. It will pretty much show if you have taken any cocaine that day, and even that can be a bit hit or miss at times. You have nothing to worry about if you used a bit several days ago at a party.

That said, obviously don't do it again. It's not worth risking your treatment and possibly entire future (depending on how badly you need the prescription) over a bit of extra fun for an hour or two. If you know you have trouble declining when offered, don't go to parties where you know there will be coke. Even if the doctor didn't test you for drugs, you could end up in trouble with the police and get a record for possession and your doctor could find out that way. Just not worth the risk at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-23-18)
Old 02-23-18, 08:57 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,288 Times in 7,106 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

(((Arsenal)))

Man, I hope the best for you. I'm glad to have read Sarah and OyVey's posts and am now hopeful you passed the test with flying colors.

What a scare though for sure!

Here's a question for anyone...

Are doctor's obligated/required to report people who have done drugs? Like if the cocaine did show up on a test a doctor gave...does the doctor HAVE to report it to the police? Or can he just have a talk to the person?

I'm thinking about my family doctor...and unless he was required to do so, I have a hard time thinking he'd go straight to the police if he found out I was taking illegal drugs. I think he'd sit down with me first and talk to me about it and see if there wasn't a way he help me work on stopping.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (02-23-18)
Old 02-23-18, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Here's a question for anyone...

Are doctor's obligated/required to report people who have done drugs? Like if the cocaine did show up on a test a doctor gave...does the doctor HAVE to report it to the police? Or can he just have a talk to the person?

I'm thinking about my family doctor...and unless he was required to do so, I have a hard time thinking he'd go straight to the police if he found out I was taking illegal drugs. I think he'd sit down with me first and talk to me about it and see if there wasn't a way he help me work on stopping.
Having taken illegal drugs is not actually a crime, not even if you are currently under the influence of some. Believe it or not, it's perfectly legal to be high as a kite as long as you're not carrying anything illegal, breaking any public intoxication laws or being a nuisance or danger to the public. Selling, trafficking, buying and possession are crimes. So unless you're trying to hook your doctor up with some or just generally showing off your stash or paraphernalia to them there's nothing for them to report.

That said, it will almost certainly go on your medical record and it will be a huge red flag for the rest of your life every time you need medical care and attention. If you need stimulant medication for ADHD then it can make life very difficult for you if doctors suspect you're going to abuse your medication. If you ever need pain killers they can be hesitant to give them to you as well. That's a lot worse than what the police will do to you for personal amounts if you ask me.

It's really best not to use illegal drugs in the first place, then you don't have to worry (too much) about random drug tests.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-26-18)
Old 02-23-18, 06:31 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,288 Times in 7,106 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
Having taken illegal drugs is not actually a crime, not even if you are currently under the influence of some. Believe it or not, it's perfectly legal to be high as a kite as long as you're not carrying anything illegal, breaking any public intoxication laws or being a nuisance or danger to the public. Selling, trafficking, buying and possession are crimes.
Holy crap! lol I had NO idea! That blows my mind!! I just always thought that the act of being on (illegal) drugs in itself was a crime.
I'm not sure why, but I think this is super fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
It's really best not to use illegal drugs in the first place, then you don't have to worry (too much) about random drug tests.
Agreed!

(((((((Oy-Oys)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (02-23-18)
Old 02-26-18, 01:32 PM

I appreciate all the replies. Regardless of what happens, this has definitely been a wake up call to grow up.

Itís been a full week, and I havenít heard anything from my doctor. I guess no news isnít bad news. For anyone with some experience with this, do you know when Iíd hear from my doctor?
The Following User Says Thank You to arsenalfan22 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-26-18)
Old 02-26-18, 06:18 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,204 Times in 14,318 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfan22 View Post
I appreciate all the replies. Regardless of what happens, this has definitely been a wake up call to grow up.

Itís been a full week, and I havenít heard anything from my doctor. I guess no news isnít bad news. For anyone with some experience with this, do you know when Iíd hear from my doctor?
My guess...they had to send it out to a lab so the turn around time would be about a week. Or they also did a rapid panel to check quick and then sent it out and nothing was found? Or The doc wants to talk in person either way.

I carried a watermelon?