ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-19-18, 05:42 PM

ch3r0k33king is on a distinguished road
Alternative Drugs to Treat ADHD Besides Nicotine

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ie coffee, diet/exercise and in fact at times it makes the ADHD worse!

My case is odd but my doctors SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED me to not take ADHD meds of any kind. (including minimal dosages)

#1 they gave me severe allergic reactions ie siezures. #2 They never helped anyway and low doses made me feel like a zombie (before I had the seizures) My adhd is ruining my life and it is socially crippling. Before I dipped (dip is chewing tobacco) ADHD felt like I was permanently drunk and high every second of the day and was not able to think straight.

When I tried grizzly wintergreen dip (a kind of chewing tobacco) it was an amazing experience. Almost like a trip. I was able to focus get things done. I was able to organize and not lose things. I paint as a hobby and was literally able to paint as well as Bob ross. (that's what my friends told me)

It also helped with my dieting by reducing my appetite. I have even lost weight with dip.

The only downside is that the dip hurts my teeth and I risk gum recession. The dip also made me feel nauseous in the mornings.

When I quit I felt irritable for a few days. (I am fine now and don't feel a craving).

But when I quit my ADHD relapsed. I painted horrible looking paintings (what my friend told me anyway), i lost things, and was disorganized.

what do I do?

PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO TAKE ADHD MEDS! I ALREADY TOLD YOU THEY DO NOT WORK AND MY DOCTORS TOOK ME OFF THE MEDS DUE TO SEIZURES!

Thank you for your time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ch3r0k33king For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (02-19-18), Greyhound1 (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 06:17 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,300 Times in 7,371 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternative Drugs to Treat ADHD Besides Nicotine

Welcome to the forum!

Have you come tried or considered nicotine gum or the patch?
They would be a healthier alternative.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 07:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,075 Times in 12,165 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

What works for me is Omega 3 fish oil supplements. There have been studies
done that show it can be a useful treatment for some with ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (02-19-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 10:36 PM

FlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
What works for me is Omega 3 fish oil supplements. There have been studies
done that show it can be a useful treatment for some with ADHD.
What dosage works for you? I want to try. I have taken them on and off but usually just one pill a day (not for ADHD)
Old 02-19-18, 11:00 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperTheWhale View Post
What dosage works for you? I want to try. I have taken them on and off but usually just one pill a day (not for ADHD)
I take between 1.5 and 2.5 grams, depending on which brand was on sale.
The bottle I'm using now says to take 1 softgel 3 times a day with meals.
There is no way I can remember to take anything more than once a day.
For the last 10 years I've been taking 2 softgels every morning ... unless I
forget, which does happen. If I miss more than 3 days I start to notice.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
FlipperTheWhale (02-20-18)
Old 02-19-18, 11:23 PM

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

Also have you tried other non stimulant based meds?
Old 02-20-18, 12:31 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Have you come tried or considered nicotine gum or the patch?
They would be a healthier alternative.
Sorry, didn’t read the thread title. Thought you were looking an alternative to dip.

OP, If nicotine works, why are you seeking an alternative drug? Sounds like the administering of nicotine using dip was the problem.
Old 02-20-18, 11:52 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hound, The OP implied it was due to the health concerns of dip and nothing on nicotine itself.

OP, Maybe try Hounds suggestion of gum/patch (maybe vape?) and while your symptoms are being addressed investigate/research alternatives if so inclined. I would start with the "Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder management" WIKI as a starting point. Some of the off-labels are effective, but have "higher risks" than the approved meds. I do not know their likelihood to induce seizures from your problems, but it is a starting spot.

GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (02-21-18)
Old 02-20-18, 08:34 PM

Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is relevant or if you already tried this ...

I use nicotine gum ... doesn't do damage to gums or mouth ... I can go as high or low as I want in terms of dosage.

I can chew 2 pieces if I want a immediate pick up ... or slowly chew one ...There are all kinds of flavors and coatings ...

My doctor is totally fine with my long-term use of nicotine gum.

Tone
Old 02-20-18, 09:29 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hound, The OP implied it was due to the health concerns of dip and nothing on nicotine itself.
GL, -LN

Hey Little Nut, I agree. I think maybe you missed or misunderstood my last post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1
OP, If nicotine works, why are you seeking an alternative drug? Sounds like the administering of nicotine using dip was the problem.
Old 02-24-18, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

I’ve heard tramadol can be effective for those with ADHD but it’s a prescription only med for severe pain.

With regards to other treatments, many speak highly of omega 3s, a vigorous exercise regime, L-Tyrosine, Ashwagawana (?) and the ketogenic diet.

With the exception of the ketogenic diet, I have tried all of those mentioned above at some point in time. But it’s difficult to say if they made any difference at all.

I’m currently trying out Dr Barkley’s suggestion of sipping on energy drinks throughout the day. I also take instant release methylphenidate, graze on healthy snacks each day and try to ensure my diet is low in sugar. Carbs are still a weakness of mine, though. I eat way too many rice cakes.
Old 02-24-18, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Iíve heard tramadol can be effective for those with ADHD but itís a prescription only med for severe pain.

With regards to other treatments, many speak highly of omega 3s, a vigorous exercise regime, L-Tyrosine, Ashwagawana (?) and the ketogenic diet.

With the exception of the ketogenic diet, I have tried all of those mentioned above at some point in time. But itís difficult to say if they made any difference at all.

Iím currently trying out Dr Barkleyís suggestion of sipping on energy drinks throughout the day. I also take instant release methylphenidate, graze on healthy snacks each day and try to ensure my diet is low in sugar. Carbs are still a weakness of mine, though. I eat way too many rice cakes.

I've taken Tramadol for my back pain and migraines, didn't help with either of
those and didn't seem to make any difference in the adhd. But then, the fish
oil seems to make a big difference with my adhd so maybe I woudn't notice
anything further?

Barbrady1 (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I've taken Tramadol for my back pain and migraines, didn't help with either of
those and didn't seem to make any difference in the adhd. But then, the fish
oil seems to make a big difference with my adhd so maybe I woudn't notice
anything further?
Iíve never tried tramadol but there are quite a few success stories online. I guess itís something I would like to sample but thatís unlikely to happen due to it being prescription only.

Out of curiosity, how much fish oil do you have each day?
Old 02-24-18, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Iíve never tried tramadol but there are quite a few success stories online. I guess itís something I would like to sample but thatís unlikely to happen due to it being prescription only.

Out of curiosity, how much fish oil do you have each day?
I take 2 soft-gels each morning, depending on where I shopped they have
between 1,000 and 1,200 mg. I've bought cheap ones at the dollar store
and expensive ones (on sale) at Walgreens. No difference that I can tell.

Tramadol was great for my dog when injured his back. I have no idea why
it works for him and not for any of my pains.

Old 02-25-18, 05:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
Not sure if this is relevant or if you already tried this ...

I use nicotine gum ... doesn't do damage to gums or mouth ... I can go as high or low as I want in terms of dosage.

I can chew 2 pieces if I want a immediate pick up ... or slowly chew one ...There are all kinds of flavors and coatings ...

My doctor is totally fine with my long-term use of nicotine gum.

Tone
Tone: Back in the day (maybe 10 years ago) the way you used to have to use nicotine gum was you had to chew and then "park it" between your gum and teeth. You couldnt chew it like regular gum. And it tasted awful and repeated on me. Has it gotten any better? does it taste better and can you chew it more like regular gum? I would be willing to try it again if they improved it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (03-16-18)