ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-20-18, 07:45 AM

Darth_Potato is on a distinguished road
Should I ask for accommodations under the ADA?

I know that this is ultimately my decision, but I am looking for other peoples' opinions/insight.

If you read the thread here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190375
you will see that I have resigned from my job do ADD.

I am teacher, so I will actually be working through the end of the school year, early June.

Although it is too late to save my job, I am still under a tremendous amount of stress, sometimes panic inducing.

As a teacher, do you think I should as for accommodations that might help reduce my stress over the next three months?

If so, do you have any idea what accommodations should I ask for?

Thank you.
Old 02-20-18, 12:10 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Should I ask for accommodations under the ADA?

Hi DP, Sorry, but nothing to directly address your OP, but this may prove helpful. Even if no long-term benefits for present position, it may help w/ targeting for next position or evaluating accommodations for the next position. HTH and GL, -LN

[/url]https://www.healthcentral.com/article/workplace-accommodations-for-adults-with-adhd

[/url]

[pls lemme know if this is a violation of linking guidelines and if so any suggested alternatives would be much appreciated. :-) ]
Old 02-23-18, 01:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Should I ask for accommodations under the ADA?

Does this mean you haven't disclosed yet?

I assume you would have to disclose in order to get accommodations. The risk of disclosure in your case is that word of your adhd would spread to other potential employers who knowing that information may not want to hire you.

If you got accommodations would you perform ok? The risk of diclosure should be weighed against whether you will suffer long term mental health damage if you don't get accommodations as well as if you don't start doing better (and that's assuming accommodations will help you perform decently) will potential employers find that out and will that hurt your chances at getting a new job.
Sponsored Links