ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-22-18, 09:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about
Resigned From My job Today, Feel terriffic!

I started a part time job in September as an independent contractor for an agency. Well, it started off disastrously as the ADD mistakes I made flowed like a fountain of folly. My professional clinical skills, ( that for which I'd ostensibly been hired were never an issue I'm well qualified and have decades of experience). The issue was the computer system we use to document clinical treatment of clients. Because of ADD PI issues I don't comprehend things easily, and need to have things written doen so I can practice them repeatedly
and copiously. Well, that accommodation had not been available to me despite the fact that I'd asked for it.
Though admittedly I had not disclosed my ADD. My boss was somewhat less than sympathetic/empathetic and quite frequently, quite bluntly, and quite rudely expressed her frustration with me often in a disrespectful and rude manner. By late November--early December, I'd been written off by my supervisor who by then had decided that she was no longer going to give me any additional work despite the fact that by December I had corrected my mistakes, mastered the computer documentation system, and had risen above the mistakes of my early days at the agency. I hung in there, continued to give it my best, but nothing was ever good enough. It was as though I 'd committed unforgivable sins, had been excommunicated from the Church, and there was no penance that could grant redemption. I felt very ostracized and devalued thought most of December, January and February despite my accomplishments. Nothing was ever good enough. Finally in February she became increasingly exploitive and abusive ,and engaged in frequent lieing, manipulation shame, and bullying in order to get what she wants including forcing me to do work for which I am not paid. In Feb I put my foot down, told her off and let her know I would not be exploited or bullyed by her. She laid it on the line and I gladly resigned which took place today. I resigned with the confidence that it was not my ADD mistakes that I had risen above that made me a bad employee, but rather her poor supervisory skills, exploitive , and abusive behavior The failure of this venture was far more due to the deficiency of the content of her character, than the courageous manner in which I overcame my disability with precious little help from her
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-23-18), finallyfound10 (02-25-18), Fuzzy12 (02-23-18), Greyhound1 (02-22-18), Little Missy (02-22-18), Lunacie (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 09:57 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,364 Times in 6,875 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Resigned From My job Today, Feel terriffic!

Congrats on overcoming your ADHD work issues and recognizing “ The failure of this venture was far more due to the deficiency of the content of her character, than the courageous manner in which I overcame my disability with precious little help from her.”

Having ADHD makes it easy to beat ourselves up. I’m glad you recognize your boss’s character deficiency and not blaming yourself. Cheers to you for standing up for yourself.

Sounds like you have plenty of experience, finding another job with better working conditions hopefully, isn’t too difficult.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
allesandro1 (02-22-18), Little Missy (02-22-18), Lunacie (02-22-18)