ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 04-27-18, 03:47 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road
Drug Holidays Dextroamphetamine; 50/50 If

Hey all. I'm having a very hard time drug holidaying dextroamphetamine tablets. I take 10-40 mg daily, but the withdrawal even from tapering all the way down to just 10 mg a day is pretty bad, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to always try to taper down to get a drug holiday, just to have to wait days, come back on the medicine (which I have startup side effects after drug holidays), and then finally get increased benefit after the 2-3 week process it takes me to resensitize my dopamine receptors and norepinephrine/serotonin receps. I'm told it will help up-regulate my receptors and make them more sensitive to the meds again after some discontinuation of the meds and some length of time off the meds, but I don't know if it's worth it and I've done up to 2-3 weeks off before, and the benefit was great when I came back on, but it's really hard to go that long with severe ADHD (hyperactive AND inattentive), especially with finals coming up, so any thoughts on your own opinions of drug holidays or what you may suggest for me would be super appreciated.

P.S. When I say "2-3 week process," I'm referring to how long it takes me to taper off dextroamphetamine tablets from 40 mg a day to 0 to avoid as much withdrawal as possible. I know there's no set time on how many drug holidays need to be taken, but what I'm getting at is that it's hard enough for me to come off dextroamphetamine that I'd rather take a longer period of time off to ensure it's worth it rather than just taking like 2-3 days off and jumping right back to taking dextroamphetamine. Longest break I've had off dextroamphetamine has been 9 days since I started, but it seemed like the tolerance came back fast enough that I am not sure if trying my 3rd round of drug holidays is going to be worth my time.
Old 04-28-18, 12:02 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,285 Times in 7,104 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drug Holidays Dextroamphetamine; 50/50 If

Have you talked to your prescribing doctor to see what they have to say?

What happens if you don't take holidays...but rather keep taking the meds consistently everyday?
What happens during the first few days when you go back on them after a holiday?

I don't know you and I'm sorry for being preachy here...
But are you sure you're not looking for more than is intended for these meds? It sounds like you're looking for the high these meds can give out...the euphoria a lot of us experience when we first start the meds.
I can hardly blame you...it feels wonderful!
It's just dangerous. It can become addictive and you might start abusing the meds, taking more of it than prescribed to chase that dragon...and that's no good .

But I may be waaaay off base here.

Sorry I don't have better advice.

Stay safe .

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 03:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,189 Times in 14,310 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drug Holidays Dextroamphetamine; 50/50 If

The idea of drug holidays always ruffles me. Because taking "holidays" by going off your meds does absolutely NOTHING for you in the future. Sure you will feel like crap and when you get back on them you will feel them and maybe have euphoria but thats for a few days.. then you will return to your "normal". Taking days off does nothing for tolerance or how effective the medication works in the long term.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-07-18), tudorose (05-14-18)
Sponsored Links