ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-28-18, 08:27 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice
Should I finish my schooling?

So I was working at a Montessori school, but I got fired. The thing is, I'm currently at the tail-end of a 2-year training program for Montessori. In order to finish it, I would need to get a job at another Montessori school, which I could do any time between now and next year.

But, what if another opportunity comes up? Part of me wants to ditch the whole thing, and part of me wants to keep going, but that would mean giving up other possibilities. My sister says I should finish the training, which she's probably right about.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following User Says Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-01-18)
Old 02-28-18, 09:01 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,792 Times in 7,376 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I finish my schooling?

I don't know anything but what you just shared here...so by the small amount of info I have about your situation...I'd HIGHLY suggest finishing up your training program.

You'll be taking a sure thing vs. quiting for an uncertain future.

Plus...even if you do have to sacrifice a couple of opportunities to finish up your training...There'll likely be more waiting for you afterwards. Probably even better ones I'd think since you'll have the training program to put on your resumes.

(((Hugs)))

Wishing you the best either way!!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
eats_mice (02-28-18), namazu (03-01-18)
Old 02-28-18, 10:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,209 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

How painful would it be to finish the program?

This is also an excellent question to discuss with your professors in the program .... you and they can think of whether you can get something intrinsically out of the training program, even if you decide not to pursue Montessori education.

I had a decision like this to make about a decade ago ... whether to continue on a project I had long worked on ... or whether to move on ...

The therapist I was seeing at the time posed the following question:

Let's assume you were to finish the current project and your life didn't magically change. And let's assume you didn't care what people think of your decision--what would you do?

The answer immediately became clear to me: quit the project I was working on, and I moved on very happily to a new project.

But if you are really interested in Montessori education, one firing doesn't mean you should turn your back ... might mean you are going to have work to improve your skills ... could mean you were at a randomly bad Montessori school.

Being fired in a profession doesn't mean you should quit the profession.

Good luck.

Tone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
eats_mice (02-28-18), namazu (03-01-18), psychopathetic (02-28-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-18, 05:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,025 Times in 14,814 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If you are pretty close to finishing, I say stick it out. You can always do something else but you will have that degree under your belt.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
eats_mice (03-01-18), namazu (03-01-18)