ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 03-01-18, 11:58 PM

ihaveadhdh is on a distinguished road
Getting ADHD medication in Czech Republic as an adult?

In short: I was not born in Czech Republic but I do have European citizenship and insurance. However I've looked into it, and it seems that here people don't see ADHD as anything but something that kids have and then it magically goes away. Well, it did not for me, in fact, it got much worse since I was a kid. Is it possible for me to somehow get medication in Czech Republic? Methylphenidate (half of ADHD medication) or Modvigil (modafinil) doesn't work for me at all, however Dextroamphetamine does. I have not tried any other medication besides benzos and some others that are used for depression or anxiety - didn't help with motivation one bit.

Question: how can I try getting proper ADHD medication (I suppose I'd need a prescription and an official diagnosis first), and is it even possible in Czech Republic? I looked for info everywhere, but I cannot find much because I cannot understand the language or because there is no information other than "it's a kid thing."

Story that's unnecessary but explains things more in depth:

I have never been to a doctor who works with ADHD, since I have always seen it as a psychological problem, and until a few years ago, I refused that I could have any psychological problems. Though then I started recognizing that I have one title or another, or multiple. Then I had a lot of experience with various people, read a lot of scientific studies and information for years (and I sure have the brain for it)...

Recently someone gave me a few pills of different doses of Vyvanse, and so I tried them to see how they make me feel. They solved my two-decade long problem of no motivation to such levels that I just couldn't do anything at all and to feeling bad about not doing anything (which came from not being able to get myself to do anything). Or being really focused until a neighbour or someone outside or the fridge or anything else makes the slightest noise and I couldn't do anything again.

So I figured I'd read up what it is used for, and turns out that's ADHD. So I've spent weeks reading on ADHD, medication, chemistry, biology, how it works and everything that comes with it. I fit around 85-90% of the symptoms perfectly, and I took multiple tests (official ones) on my own even before I even began to read.
Old 03-02-18, 06:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,220 Times in 14,325 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting ADHD medication in Czech Republic as an adult?

So someone in the czec republic gave you the vyvanse? Which means its available there? Why not ask them how they got it and what doctor they see?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-02-18, 10:18 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Getting ADHD medication in Czech Republic as an adult?

Hey ihave, I can't help w/ how you should go about getting treatment in the Czech Republic and available treatment options. I can offer a suggestion on how to prep for an evaluation that would make it go quicker and help to keep the Dr. visits focused and more effective. Also, it comes in handy to evaluate how effective any treatments are.

I like lists to help keep me focused as well as others. Make a list of problems/symptoms that negatively impact your life. Even ones that are not on the ADHD list. Then next to each one provide a short narrative of ACTUAL occurrences of that problem happening. Then next to the narrative detail the ACTUAL negative impact to you. Nothing suppositional, it has to be actual occurrences and non trivial impacts. At first the list may be a little short, but keep the list handy so you can add to it as things happen or you remember things. After a while look at the list and try to organize it. Things that are very infrequent or you can't remember specific occurrences may not be a real priority/problem. Things w/ minor/trivial real life impacts may not be a priority/problem. OTOH things that happen frequently and/or have bigger impacts become real obvious and they can now be communicated to your Doc quickly and effectively. It may even give your Doc ideas/help identifying other areas to investigate. Also when you have to evaluate treatment you can look at the list and see how well each is or isn't being addressed. HTH, -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-02-18), stef (03-02-18)
Sponsored Links