ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 03-02-18, 06:12 PM

mzamot is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed with ADHD, pills questions

Hey folks,

I am on my 16th day of Vyvanse 30mg, every day has been really good, if not amazing. Almost zero side effects or issues, I was able to do schedules, stop biting my nails and reducing my anxiety and focusing on stuff that I had to do. I was diagnosticated less than a month ago.

A couple days ago I was a little depressed, my fiance stood me up in January, so I don't blame the pills for my depression, I guess it's normal.
The thing is, that day I was with a horrible brain fog, not paying attention to anything, my eyes were just unfocused and I was totally spaced out. And of course, listening to sad music lol.

Yesterday and today I am focused like the first days and was able to be productive. Something I notice, always between 3 PM and 5 PM I get kinda sleepy, start yawning and get a little of this brain fog or hyper tiredness, but after a break of maybe 30 minutes taking a short walk, I am good again. Normally with the pills, I feel a bit tired (or maybe is too relaxed?), not alertness.

TL;DR
- Could my brain fog of a couple days ago be related to my depression caused by the breakup or could be dosage too high or too low? Maybe the coffee? (used to drink 4 cups, now do 2 strong cups a day)
- Could the tiredness/exhaustion/lack of alertness be caused by circadian rhythm or simple just from working?
- My fidgeting is still present, never went away, perhaps now it's more controlled, but I still spinning in my chair sometimes or bouncing my legs. Shouldn't this disappear with the pills?
- I am slowly reducing the coffee to see if I feel less tired and if I stop fidgeting.

Thank you so much!
Old 03-02-18, 07:22 PM

Re: Diagnosed with ADHD, pills questions

Forgot to add. I am taking Vyvanse at 10 AM, one hour after breakfast.
Old 03-03-18, 07:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,156 Times in 14,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think your brain fog could be because you need more medicine like a booster dose. I know vyvanse bills itself as the 12 hour once a day medication but I have yet to meet someone where that is true. Almost all of the people I know that have taken vyvanse need a booster dose late in the afternoon.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-18, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,375 Times in 11,789 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Even neurotypical people have those days when everything is too much effort.
You were probably just having an off-day.

Sometimes that happens because we are getting sick, didn't get enough sleep,
haven't eaten well, or eaten a grapefruit for breakfast. Those can all change
how well the meds work. Oh yeah, also hormonal fluctuations can interfere with
the meds ... and guys get this too.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-03-18, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I think your brain fog could be because you need more medicine like a booster dose. I know vyvanse bills itself as the 12 hour once a day medication but I have yet to meet someone where that is true. Almost all of the people I know that have taken vyvanse need a booster dose late in the afternoon.
I thought that, but after a break I am able to fully focus again up to 7:30-8 pm, after that it's just difficult to focus.
Old 03-03-18, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Even neurotypical people have those days when everything is too much effort.
You were probably just having an off-day.
Could be, moving into a new city, no friends, fiance left, I guess some blue days should be normal.

Quote:
Sometimes that happens because we are getting sick, didn't get enough sleep,
haven't eaten well, or eaten a grapefruit for breakfast. Those can all change
how well the meds work. Oh yeah, also hormonal fluctuations can interfere with
the meds ... and guys get this too.
Been eating exactly the same each day while I monitor the effects for this reason.

Wonder if it's normal to still have some fidgeting, definitely is not as before. And something good really happened, I stopped bitting my nails! I even had to buy a nail clipper!
The Following User Says Thank You to mzamot For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 08:47 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,156 Times in 14,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamot View Post
I thought that, but after a break I am able to fully focus again up to 7:30-8 pm, after that it's just difficult to focus.
Yes but what is it you really have to focus on at 730pm?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-03-18, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Yes but what is it you really have to focus on at 730pm?
So far not much, just monitoring how the medicine reacts and if it's normal, been keeping a log to bring to the doctor in a couple of weeks.

Been trying to adjust my life to the pill. I take it at 10 because in the morning I do technical stuff I love so I never had problems focusing on that (my problem was starting). And it actually helps me in the afternoon to do reports and analysis. I am adjusting my time to have a couple of hours, finishing at 8pm to study college.

I guess the "crash" may start around 7-8 but it's slow and still let me focus a bit.

Around 10-11 I start watching my nails, but still I don't bite them, but that feeling of me wanting to bite starts to appears. I am so happy I don't bite.

With fidgeting I am still not sure, I thought medicine would stop it, seems more in control, and even less if I remove caffeine. I still move when concentrated one of my foot.

But so far seems to be helping overall.

Will monitor if I get another bad day, but I guess even normal people feel ****ty if they are depressed.
Old 03-04-18, 04:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,346 Times in 779 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamot View Post
Hey folks,

I am on my 16th day of Vyvanse 30mg, every day has been really good, if not amazing. Almost zero side effects or issues, I was able to do schedules, stop biting my nails and reducing my anxiety and focusing on stuff that I had to do. I was diagnosticated less than a month ago.

A couple days ago I was a little depressed, my fiance stood me up in January, so I don't blame the pills for my depression, I guess it's normal.
The thing is, that day I was with a horrible brain fog, not paying attention to anything, my eyes were just unfocused and I was totally spaced out. And of course, listening to sad music lol.

Yesterday and today I am focused like the first days and was able to be productive. Something I notice, always between 3 PM and 5 PM I get kinda sleepy, start yawning and get a little of this brain fog or hyper tiredness, but after a break of maybe 30 minutes taking a short walk, I am good again. Normally with the pills, I feel a bit tired (or maybe is too relaxed?), not alertness.

TL;DR
- Could my brain fog of a couple days ago be related to my depression caused by the breakup or could be dosage too high or too low? Maybe the coffee? (used to drink 4 cups, now do 2 strong cups a day)
- Could the tiredness/exhaustion/lack of alertness be caused by circadian rhythm or simple just from working?
- My fidgeting is still present, never went away, perhaps now it's more controlled, but I still spinning in my chair sometimes or bouncing my legs. Shouldn't this disappear with the pills?
- I am slowly reducing the coffee to see if I feel less tired and if I stop fidgeting.

Thank you so much!
Hey Mz, From reading your OP and subsequent posts in this thread, I have more questions for you than suggestions.

One suggestion I have is to keep a daily log including any questions you have along the way. I always found going over my log and summarizing it was a great way to prep for a visit to the Doc's and make sure I didn't forget questions/open points I have.
Is this a fair characterization. You are taking 30mg Vyvanse QD, You get good symptom treatment for 10-11 hours. (For all symptoms.) After ~6 hrs +/- you get tired, fuzzy headed and this is corrected after 30min w/ light walking. (During the sleepy part your symptom treatment is still good?)

I don't have experience w/ Vyvanse, but I do w/ Dexedrine. When I forget a dose I notice a little bit of hunger and focus starts to go, but not drag butt. I used to get that if I skipped coffee at a time my body was used to it. (Upon waking, arrive at work, start of the afternoon...) What would you think the cause was if this happened before you were taking Vyvanse?

Answers/Responses to your TLDNR;
  • I'm guessing from cutting back on coffee or something else. If it was drug wearing off I would think your other symptoms would come back, not still be treated for 4-5 hours more.
  • When I start dexedrine it messes w/ my sleeping regimen for 4 weeks or so. During that time I normally fall asleep later, sleep less, maybe wake up in the middle of the night and rather than being my normal morning person bright-eyed and bushy tailed, I am DRAGGING *** in the morning. As long as I enforce a regular wake-up time it eventually straightens itself out after a month or so. Never had a middle of the day crash except when I had only a couple hours sleep at night for a few days.
  • Did the fidgeting start/get worse w/ the Vyvanse?
  • If coffee not a problem and you enjoy it, I would keep it. Wish I could drink what I want.

GL, -LN
Old 03-04-18, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post

Answers/Responses to your TLDNR;
  • I'm guessing from cutting back on coffee or something else. If it was drug wearing off I would think your other symptoms would come back, not still be treated for 4-5 hours more.
  • When I start dexedrine it messes w/ my sleeping regimen for 4 weeks or so. During that time I normally fall asleep later, sleep less, maybe wake up in the middle of the night and rather than being my normal morning person bright-eyed and bushy tailed, I am DRAGGING *** in the morning. As long as I enforce a regular wake-up time it eventually straightens itself out after a month or so. Never had a middle of the day crash except when I had only a couple hours sleep at night for a few days.
  • Did the fidgeting start/get worse w/ the Vyvanse?
  • If coffee not a problem and you enjoy it, I would keep it. Wish I could drink what I want.

GL, -LN
Thank you for the advises! I am definitely logging everything, every single bit, with time and everything.

I think you are right, so far I reduced coffee even more, one cup a day, and decaf after. I guess my sleepiness could be related to circadian rythm perhaps. I mean after many hours focused straight, I imagine is normal to feel tired. I can definitely feel the efficacy of the pill is still otherwise, just a little weaker, and around 8-9 I barely feel it at all, but motivation is still there. I've been motivated pretty much all the time, perhaps because I can finally finished stuff and that motivates me even more!

I was always hyperactive, fidgeting has always been with me. I feel I am more conscious about it, I still do it, less than without medication. Thought it would be fine with medication, but I guess doing it less frequently is good.

Thank you!