ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-18, 07:18 PM
Jr Member

memtigers1996 is on a distinguished road
Adderall Addiction

I started off taking it for ADHD but am now addicted to it. I take approximately 300mg a day. I have tried to stop or decrease the dosage but I canít keep go through any means to get it. No one knows about this addiction I have. I have covered it up very well. Despite several consequences that have occurred, I continue to take it. Can anyone help??
The Following User Says Thank You to memtigers1996 For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (03-04-18)
Old 03-02-18, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,519 Times in 11,543 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Addiction

Either quit or turn yourself in.

It really is that easy.

Just so you know, other people always do know what you think is hidden.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18)
Old 03-02-18, 07:41 PM
Jr Member

Iíve tried to quit and the withdrawal was so bad. I think my body is addicted to it now. If I taper down I feel so drowsy, and my body just feels bad. The Adderall keeps me going through the day. I canít go a day without it. I make sure I never run out I will always find a way to get some. I do want to change though I just donít know why I canít stop.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-18, 07:59 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,623 Times in 15,106 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Rehab.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-02-18, 08:02 PM
Jr Member

I don’t have good insurance that will cover it and I will lose my job if I go to rehab.
Old 03-02-18, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by memtigers1996 View Post
I started off taking it for ADHD but am now addicted to it. I take approximately 300mg a day. I have tried to stop or decrease the dosage but I can’t keep go through any means to get it. No one knows about this addiction I have. I have covered it up very well. Despite several consequences that have occurred, I continue to take it. Can anyone help??
What do you mean "no one knows about this addiction"? Does 300 mg of Adderall just magically appear at your doorstep each morning? Do you have anyone IRL that you can talk to about this?

As far as I know, you can't die from Adderall withdrawal. If you don't have the "willpower" (I hate using that term, since it's a loaded word) to quit, then change your environment so that it's easier for you to avoid temptation. For instance, maybe have a buddy monitor you for a few days. Give him your car keys and wallet so you can't pull a fast one on him!
Old 03-03-18, 08:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I donít have good insurance that will cover it and I will lose my job if I go to rehab.
I guess it depends on how badly you want to stop. They have outpatient rehabs and there are also 12 step programs. How are you getting the adderall now?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 05:43 PM

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Courage to you for sharing and opening up with your problem. Being honest is the first step to reaching a better place.

A few thoughts.

First, get your mind off legal trouble and the law. Doctors see addiction as a medical-psychological issue ... they don't call the cops when an addict shows up in their office. They want the person to get treatment. Unless, you are on the verge of murdering someone or yourself, they can't break confidentiality. And they don't wanna break confidentiality. They want people treated and getting on with their lives.

Find the most mature and open person you know and share this ... you'll get some fresh air ... Call someone and say it's an emergency. Real emergency ... and that you need to talk ASAP. BTW: doing this is part of the skill set you will need as you recover.

Call your prescribing doctor ASAP and tell them what's going on ... Time to just open up. Ignore the fear and shame! ... that the doctors will be mad at you ...

Depending on your resources ... find a psychiatrist that deals with "addiction" and call that psychiatrist and tell them you have an urgent situation.

You can google and get to a 12-step meeting for substance abuse ... Addiction to "legal" drugs--narcotics--is a big issue these days, so your issue won't be foreign to the folks at the meeting. Trust me: there is NOTHING you've done that folks at the meetings won't be familiar with.

And you'll get inspiration and knowledge from some of the folks at the meetings--you'll hear how they overcame their situations. There might be a meeting near you tonight.

I was in the throes of a totally different addiction about a decade ago. Making that first phone call--to a therapist with a specialty in treating my particular addiction--was one of the best steps I've taken in my life.

We're here to encourage you.

Love to hear a first step you think you can take.

Tone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18), Lash107 (03-04-18), Lunacie (03-03-18)
Old 03-04-18, 03:12 AM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

300 mg a day?

Do you have ADHD?

That is about 4 times the total recommended daily dosage.

Does your doctor prescribe you that much for everyday?

M
Old 03-04-18, 10:08 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
300 mg a day?

Do you have ADHD?

That is about 4 times the total recommended daily dosage.

Does your doctor prescribe you that much for everyday?
He knows he is addicted and the dose is excessive.

He states he has a problem.

Thatís all we need to know to support him, IMO. Your post sounds more interrogative than supportive.

OP, I wish you the best. Perhaps you can switch to Vyvanse, which is considered less likely to be addictive.

If youíre not taking it sublingually and/or obtaining the pills has legal consequences ... I think you need to get professional help.

Perhaps youíre taking it as directed (swallowing it) but taking more than directed. Youíre running out early and having extreme fatigue that you mentioned. Youíre struggling getting through your day and you simply have to wait until itís time to fill your rx. So thatís what you do and itís happening every month.

If the second scenario is happening, you can buy a timed drug safe on Amazon. Or, ask someone you trust to hold your pills and give you your prescribed dose. If you start pressuring them for more, or sooner...thinking of options, etc. You need professional help.

Donít ďturn yourself in.Ē lol Telling your doctor is a good idea. He or she will quit prescribing it. Basically you need to cut off any source(s).

You need to be ready to quit. Youíve had consequences. Itís affecting your life negatively. If youíre ready, cut sources, tell your doctor you have trouble taking it as prescribed. Try NA if you canít take time off or have work find out. You need to decide if putting treatment/quitting is what you need and youíre ready...thatís priority.

Take care. I think you need rehab.

M[/quote]
The Following User Says Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
Roxx1980 (09-18-18)
Old 03-04-18, 10:17 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I’ve tried to quit and the withdrawal was so bad. I think my body is addicted to it now. If I taper down I feel so drowsy, and my body just feels bad. The Adderall keeps me going through the day. I can’t go a day without it. I make sure I never run out I will always find a way to get some. I do want to change though I just don’t know why I can’t stop.
You’ll be dragging for about a week. Caffeine is your friend and I’ve read cardio helps a lot. Eat regularly and nutritional food. Drink water, multi vitamin. I’ve not experienced it before but I read on a drugs-forum about how to get off of it. I’ve heard the psychological addiction can be hard. Try NA?

You can do this and there are other forums that you can post your progress, ask questions ...lots of support. Don’t pick up other amphetamines and make it harder. If you have, think long and hard about where your life is going, what could happen and what has happened. Ask yourself if you’re ready. If you are, pay the piper on the exhaustion and utilize online sites and NA or Smart Recovery meetings. I think there are even meetings online. You have to tell your doctor you want off it ... cut ever source. No access. Period.

This website is a great site, but not for addiction support, IMO. That said, I used to be addicted to alcohol and cigarettes and I’m clean. I had to detox inpatient because alcohol withdrawals can kill you. Same with benzos. Not amphetamines. You won’t die or seize, etc. I understand addiction. You can do this but when you’re ready. Cold turkey it’s titrating isn’t helping. Sending positivity your way.

Last edited by Lash107; 03-04-18 at 10:33 AM..
Old 03-04-18, 01:48 PM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash107 View Post
He knows he is addicted and the dose is excessive.

He states he has a problem.

That’s all we need to know to support him, IMO. Your post sounds more interrogative than supportive.
Yes I think your right.

Sorry to be so insensitive.

I was surprised at the amount of adderall the opening poster could get everyday!

It is just that I see a another huge separate problem here.

How does any person get 300 mg of adderall a day?

If the opening poster was not able to get 300 mg a day, he/she would not have this problem with adderall.

My pharmacist will not even dispense my prescription two days early, and I have been going there for 7 years.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-04-18 at 02:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (03-09-18)
Old 03-04-18, 02:23 PM
Jr Member

I take 300-450mg every day. 10-15 30ís. The weekends Iíll just take a few (120 mg) because I know I can sleep more, so Iíll try to decrease a bit. But during the week I need that much to stay awake. It has helped so much with work. I have a great job and I donít want to lose it by going to rehab. I really need to stop though. This is getting serious and I will go to any means to get it.
Old 03-04-18, 02:44 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
I take 300-450mg every day. 10-15 30ís. The weekends Iíll just take a few (120 mg) because I know I can sleep more, so Iíll try to decrease a bit. But during the week I need that much to stay awake. It has helped so much with work. I have a great job and I donít want to lose it by going to rehab. I really need to stop though. This is getting serious and I will go to any means to get it.
You have to decide...do you want to quit or do you want to be a slave to this forever? Rehab might be something you have yo do regardless of the consequences with your job.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-04-18, 07:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
You have this "great" job. It must be paying you a lot if you can keep affording that many (illicitly obtained) Adderall pills. Yet somehow, your "great" job doesn't even come with a health insurance policy that covers decent addiction services?

I believe you that your job is difficult, but what you're doing simply isn't sustainable. Even if you could have an unlimited lifetime supply of Adderall, you're going to eventually burn out. Adderall isn't designed to turn people into long term super humans.