ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-18, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,086 Times in 12,173 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is your “agenda/reason” for frequenting ADDForums?

A 'reason' is a basis or explanation for a belief or action.

An ' agenda' is a plan or a list of things to be done.

I don't believe I have an agenda for being a participating member of this forum.

I am here to learn things about mental illness, to share my own experiences,
to find other people who share my beliefs or traits. Those are reasons.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
lntense (03-06-18)
Old 03-03-18, 03:29 PM

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Get support.

Get motivation.

Share what I've learned.

Encourage others.

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-03-18)
Old 03-04-18, 02:12 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,629 Times in 15,110 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thanks

I think if we looked, we could find examples of many of us making same mistake.

That being said, in the future I will try harder to use more appropriate terminology when I reply in general.

M
I guess I dont look at it the same way. Not as in mistakes- more misunderstandings? Or not being clear? Sometimes I think its deliberate.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-18, 03:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Cut up Mild's OP so easier for me to be clear what question or statement my response goes with.
Quote:
----SNIPPAGE----

Why do you frequent ADDForums?
Socialize w/ people that I have "this" in common with.
  • I don't have ADHD buddies that I go out and have a cupla beers with. Joke, share common experiences, blow off steam.....
  • I think Docs for the most part do a poor job explaining the process for starting and evaluating ADHD treatment w/ stims. This is also the time that I was and I believe most individuals are the most anxious. I spent alot of time up-front studying/rationalizing that part for me to feel comfortable with it. I try to help others (where I am capable) of understanding what the initial process "mechanics" are and ways to objectively evaluate their treatment.
  • Gain insights into longer term "issues" I might encounter or need to avoid.

Quote:
Does everyone who frequents ADDForums have some type of “agenda” for being here at ADDForums?
YES. But for me agenda just means goal or purpose. (In all honesty, Mild, I have a "feeling" you mean a hidden or not overt purpose.)

Quote:
Is “agenda” the right word to use in this context?
Yes if we share the same understanding of what "agenda" means/includes. (Damn, I sound like Bill Clinton and "Is".)

Quote:
I do not always have the same interests/preferences as other members.

Do you think members who do not always agree with the majority have some type of hidden agenda or do some people simply have a different opinion based on personal experiences/preferences?
I think either is likely/possible. I like to think my default mode is to assume a simple difference of opinion. TBH there have been times I strongly suspect someone's post of not being open and forthright, I have adjusted my response.

Quote:
Who does not have some type of agenda/reason for frequenting ADDForums?
No One. I believe everyone is here for a reason(s) whether they are open/honest/forthright about it or they attempt to hide/obfuscate it. IOW everyone is here for a reason, not everyone is honest about it.

Mild, I have a question for you. Why are you asking these (in this post and others) questions and to what end? I suspect it is more than to collect information, but to promote/provoke a dialogue. For me I ask this question because I am simply curious what the dialogue may be about. TIA, -LN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18), Little Missy (03-04-18), mildadhd (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 04:44 PM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Hi Little Nut

Thanks

I honestly do not mean hidden agenda.

Maybe if we consider the term “epigenetically inherited”, would help understand what I am thinking.

Some people could have a epigenetically inherited predisposition due to distresses that their grandparents experienced, that may make the emergence of AD(H)D more likely.

Some people could have no epigenetically inherited predisposition, but experienced distresses in utero, or after birth in early life that may make the emergence of AD(H)D more likely.

Some people could have both epigenetically inherited predisposition and experienced early life distresses that may make AD(H)D even more likely to emerge.

I started this thread to get different perspectives/reasons why people frequent ADDForums, to show that people can have different perspectives and not have a hidden agenda.

Side note, I also seem start threads with a good idea what I want to discuss, but have a hard time verbally expressing what I want to discuss.

Often the discussion at hand helps me to develop the terminology, so I understand that my threads can sometimes be confusing, but that is not intentional, my intention is as much about learning to express myself better, as it is to discuss any particular subject.

Also when I feel people are “attacking” me i find it harder to verbally reply, and when people like you do not attack me, i sometimes find it much easier for me to find the right words to reply.

I also wonder if the people who get frustrated with me, would wait til after the 30 minute time period allowed for me to correct and clarify after posting would help reduce everyone’s frustration. (Something about the 30 minute timeline helps me sometimes focus and notice where I could have expressed myself better, remove parts that I might be out of line or correct my mistakes)

Even if you disagree, your patience in disagreeing is much appreciated.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-04-18 at 05:06 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18), Little Nut (03-05-18)
Old 03-04-18, 05:07 PM

Thanked 26,086 Times in 12,173 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Also when I feel people are “attacking” me i find it harder to verbally reply, and when people like you do not attack me, i sometimes find it much easier for me to find the right words to reply.

M
mild, does it feel like a person is attacking you when they say they don't
understand and ask you for more information or to clarify?

My autistic granddaughter sometimes feels she is being attacked when we are
asking her something. She had a meltdown Friday night and when I went to
ask her if she was okay she was very rude about telling me to go away.

She was apparently overwhelmed and couldn't answer any questions right then
even though I was trying to find out if I could help her.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18), daveddd (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 08:50 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

No agenda, but my reason for participating on the forum is to enjoy the experience.

That enjoyment comes from:

• reading someone genuinely sharing of themselves
  • witnessing someone's success and/or growth
  • gabbing with levity and lulz
  • learning something new or being reminded of something forgotten
  • reading old posts and seeing how situations and people change
  • enjoying other people's gifts in terms of language, storytelling, and articulation
  • being shown perspectives and interests I would not have considered myself
  • keeping in touch with those I have a relationship with beyond the casual
  • reading/seeing artistic expression in writing, art, and photography
  • knowing through feedback that something I said was of value and/or help to someone

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, and I left out a couple of things I didn't have words to explain.

tl;dr ...the people here.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-05-18), Little Missy (03-04-18), Lunacie (03-04-18), psychopathetic (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 10:40 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,391 Times in 7,662 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful post.

(((((((Aeon)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 10:45 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Beautiful post.

(((((((Aeon)))))))
Thanks. Know that your recent elephant and nefarious posts brought me the lulz.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 09:14 AM
Jr Member

yentzee is on a distinguished road

It makes me feel good to read that there are people with similar issues, people that are thinking the way I do etc. It makes me feel less weird and misunderstood.
Also I am looking for new ideas, insights etc as my life has changed so much within the last six months (for the better) since I got the disgnosis and I know that I just scratched the surface so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yentzee For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-05-18), psychopathetic (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 12:53 PM

Thanked 21,519 Times in 11,543 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even have an agenda.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 01:04 PM

Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I come as its just a fun break for me and I do learn things sometimes.

That said, there are certain topics I feel strongly about. When those topics pop up, yes I do wish I can convince people of my side sometimes. It's just human to want this, has nothing to do with adhd.

I don't think anyone here thinks you have some nefarious hidden reason for being on this forum. I do think (and I think it's what people have been reacting to) you sometimes start threads hoping to prove to people something. This thread itself is an example of that. Your response to little nut about why you started this thread said "to prove to people......" so yeah, you do have an agenda.

And personally, I think that's absolutely fine and I do it myself sometimes especially when I'm upset by something just like I think you are right now.

I personally wouldn't change your style of posting just cause a few people complained. That said, made up words are harder for people to understand so if you post word like that, people will question them. Some of the words they were complaining were made up, I didn't think were made up either though maybe a couple were (don't know as I'm not a dictionary). Anyway, I personally have no problems with you saying things however yoh want to say them. It's a sign of you possibly being a creative person to me.

Sorry you've been feeling attacked by the way. Hopefully people will tone down doing what's been bothering you since they now realize you are sensitive to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 02:13 PM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I come as its just a fun break for me and I do learn things sometimes.

That said, there are certain topics I feel strongly about. When those topics pop up, yes I do wish I can convince people of my side sometimes. It's just human to want this, has nothing to do with adhd.

I don't think anyone here thinks you have some nefarious hidden reason for being on this forum. I do think (and I think it's what people have been reacting to) you sometimes start threads hoping to prove to people something. This thread itself is an example of that. Your response to little nut about why you started this thread said "to prove to people......" so yeah, you do have an agenda.

And personally, I think that's absolutely fine and I do it myself sometimes especially when I'm upset by something just like I think you are right now.

I personally wouldn't change your style of posting just cause a few people complained. That said, made up words are harder for people to understand so if you post word like that, people will question them. Some of the words they were complaining were made up, I didn't think were made up either though maybe a couple were (don't know as I'm not a dictionary). Anyway, I personally have no problems with you saying things however yoh want to say them. It's a sign of you possibly being a creative person to me.

Sorry you've been feeling attacked by the way. Hopefully people will tone down doing what's been bothering you since they now realize you are sensitive to it.
Thanks for the support.

I agree I do have an agenda/reason, but it far from hidden.

(Edit: I do not think you are saying I have a hidden agenda)

As far as making up words, the whole thing about making up words is made up, in my opinion.

(Edit: I do not think you are saying I make up words)

I am learning that in science there are more than one way to say the same thing.

Example, adrenaline and epinephrine are the same thing.

(“To learn all the different scientific terminologies and ways of saying the same thing is a right of passage” -paraphrasing Dr. Panksepp)

I also have a strong personal interest due to having ADHD and trying to understand the origin of ADHD, in learning how our brain develops and the order it develops, and I try to encourage both affective scientific terminologies and cognitive scientific terminologies. I learned the affective terminologies first, because our affective brain biology matures before our cognitive brain biology. Now I am learning our cognitive brain biology terminologies and how the reciprocal relationship “works” with affective brain biology. I think learning both affective and cognitive terminologies is giving me a much better perspective than if I learned cognitive scientific terminologies alone, and in turn a real boost of confidence that I know both. (So your right, I do have a agenda/reason, but I think I have a legitimate reason)

(Edit, I do not think you are saying I do not have a legitimate reason)

I think most of us have a legitimate agenda/reason based on personal interests/experiences.

Maybe it would help people to know I am an exconstruction worker with a phobia of post secondary institutes, and this is the only real place I practice discussing any of these topics, and very greatfull for ADDForums and members, because I hope to get over my phobia, with help from the confidence I am gaining here with all the practice discussing things here at ADDForums.

I will also try to be less repeative and more considerate and patient of others.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-05-18 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: See 3 edits
Old 03-05-18, 04:34 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

To attempt to help others based off personal experience.

Not everything I say always applies to everyone but I know what works for me so I share.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lntense For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-05-18), Lunacie (03-05-18), mildadhd (03-05-18)
Old 03-06-18, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

To get 100 Thanks

...as this is the only place I can make such careless posts