ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-18, 11:49 AM
Jr Member

CaptainSheridan is on a distinguished road
Was just diagnosed this week

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I went my whole life suffering through school, and work, even organizing my home life is very difficult. I procrastinate on chores, and lose important papers. When I am at work, I have a tendency to make stupid mistakes that I feel I should not be making.
I just turned 26 and went off my parents insurance and onto my own so I decided to bring these concerns up to my new GP. He referred me to a psychologist, and I was diagnosed with ADD. My GP decided that the best course of action was to put me on Adderall. I took my first dose yesterday, and everything just kind of clicked while I was on it. I felt a calm state of alertness and didn't feel the need to aimlessly pace around like I usually do at work. It seemed to be very beneficial for me to be on this medication. Though, as the day wore on I believe it started to ware off a little and I found myself becoming more and more unfocused, though I could feel the medication was still having an affect on me. I went to sleep around 2 last night and woke up around 9am, but I feel like it was a very light sleep. I took my first dose this morning, and I am back to being very focused and alert. I'm probably going to try to do some writing after I finish this post.
I just wanted to know if this all seems normal and consistent with experiences you guys have had. My GP wants me to take two of these a day, because it will begin to wear off, but I fear that it might cause sleeplessness for me. Is it fairly normal to experience light sleep, or sleeplessness even after the dose has seemed to wane off? Do you guys have any tips for me to help get my life in order, now that I am taking medication for it? Thanks for reading this post and I hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-04-18, 03:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Was just diagnosed this week

---SNIPPED CAP's POST FOR QUESTION RESPONSE---

Keep in mind that my response is based on the practices that my Doc and I agreed to and that work for me. I don't know what you and your Doc agreed to. Mine may be different from what you and your Doc agreed to, so stick with what you and your Doc agreed to if different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSheridan View Post
Is it fairly normal to experience light sleep, or sleeplessness even after the dose has seemed to wane off?

Do you guys have any tips for me to help get my life in order, now that I am taking medication for it? Thanks for reading this post and I hope you all have a great day!
For me yes and for most people I would think this is true.

At first focus on how YOU go about finding what the right dose is FOR YOU and how you find out what the right dosing frequency is FOR YOU. This process may take a couple of months and you may have to switch to a different drug. After you nail this down, then you can sort out how to be more productive.

EVERY time you start a stimulant med, change the dosage, or change how many times per day you take it, your body has to adjust to it. During that adjustment you need to take notes, but you really have to wait until it is lined-out to evaluate how well it worked. For me when I make a change it takes up to 2 weeks for most (4 weeks for a cupla others) to line-out. The same applies to side effects e.g. sleep disturbances. So when I made a change I waited for 2 weeks before trying to figure out how well it worked and what changes if any needed to be made. I did keep a daily log and write down positive and negative observations and try to summarize it. The log made it easier the next time I saw the Doc to objectively answer; How'd it go?

Another thing to worry about whenever you start out, increase dose, or increase frequency is the "euphoric kick" you will probably get for several days. It can make it difficult to evaluate your treatment. Many (including me) confuse this euphoric kick with treatment and think the drug stopped working when it was just the euphoric kick stopping. This is another area that the daily log helps with. GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (03-05-18)
Old 03-04-18, 04:36 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,958 Times in 14,772 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Little Nut did an awesome job of summing it all up. To highlight one of his points though: Beware of confusing how it feels with how well it works. Like he said the euphoria is short lived (unless you are a lucky one) and it can seem like it doesnt work anymore without it but very often thats not the case. Evaluate your symptom control always to see how well the med works.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CaptainSheridan (03-04-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-18, 09:18 AM
Jr Member

yentzee is on a distinguished road

Congratulations. I was diagnosed 6 months ago and my life got so much better since then. Hope you will feel the same after a while. I don't have that strong issues not being able to focus with things that are somehow important for everyday life (I do with lots of other stuff) but my Impulsive behaviour stopped completely. I didn't notice myself but lots of people tell me. So yeah... congratulations you might be able to solve a lot of issues now.