ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-18, 09:33 AM
Jr Member

memtigers1996 is on a distinguished road
Re: How are people getting access to medication?

I didn’t say I was writing them. You asked how people get so much medication. I know some people who have done it.
Old 03-05-18, 11:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,132 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I forgot I read in the book “ADHD Nation” by Allan Schwarz (the concussion guy) there is a very serious problem with people faking ADHD symptoms to get diagnosed with ADHD, which gives the person faking symptoms access to ADHD medication.

I wonder if a mandatory EEG (along with present DSM diagnosic criteria) to help confirm diagnosis, would help reduce doubt of the existence of ADHD, and also reduce the number of people faking ADHD symptoms?

When EEG does not confirm diagnosis doctors could get a second opinion from another doctor.

I read EEG could confirm ADHD diagnosis in about 80% of diagnosis of ADHD.

(Then maybe the general population of people doubting existence of ADHD would also be dramatically reduced, making awareness and accommodations easier to access)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-05-18 at 11:39 AM..
Old 03-05-18, 11:55 AM

(Continued from my last post, missed edit deadline)

Or instead of EEG, maybe a mandatory second doctor’s opinion to help confirm DSM diagnostic criteria and also reduce ADHD misdiagnosis?

It would be much harder for a person to trick two doctors.

If the second opinion, does not agree, a third doctors opinion, etc..

I know this type of protocol sounds like a hassel, but I do not think it is when considering the long term pros and cons, of taking stimulant medication.

I think a second doctors opinion would improve healthy access to ADHD medication, and reduce number unhealthy access to ADHD medication.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-05-18 at 12:14 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-18, 12:27 PM

Thanked 21,088 Times in 11,258 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it may be the time to ride a different bicycle.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-05-18, 12:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Also there are the episodic users. Cramming for tests, weekend party favors.....A 7x/week prescription that is used to supply 1-2x/week use. The prescription may be the individuals or a friends. Tougher to identify and stop.

For the stimulants, as long as available via Rx there will be the vast majority that "need" them and a much smaller minority that abuse them. The abusers will have the option to substitute illicit non prescription, less safe supplies (e.g Walter Whites....diversion of amphetamine base from actual manufacturers, ...) and the people in need will not. Do not know the magnitude of abuse problem, but if really low I would worry about baby/bathwater issues. -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-05-18), Lunacie (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Also there are the episodic users. Cramming for tests, weekend party favors.....A 7x/week prescription that is used to supply 1-2x/week use. The prescription may be the individuals or a friends. Tougher to identify and stop.

For the stimulants, as long as available via Rx there will be the vast majority that "need" them and a much smaller minority that abuse them. The abusers will have the option to substitute illicit non prescription, less safe supplies (e.g Walter Whites....diversion of amphetamine base from actual manufacturers, ...) and the people in need will not. Do not know the magnitude of abuse problem, but if really low I would worry about baby/bathwater issues. -LN
Considering in many cases people could be taking ADHD for years and years, I do not think strenthening/confirming diagnoses would increase “babies being thrown out with the bath water”.

Improving protocol may even reduce the present number of “babies being thrown out with the bath water”

Maybe the number of mother and fathers who doubt the existence would be less and have more awareness and confidence in their child’s diagnoses?

It is a big problem for many people who have ADHD, whose mother and/or father (family/friends) doubt the existence of ADHD.

I have asked friends who go to university if it is easy to get access ADHD medication and they said yes.

People were not in favour of new concussions protocol, before the changes in concussion protocol, but I do not think many people would doubt now that strenthening concussion protocol has helped reduce some of the negative effects of repeatitive concussions now, and not just in football, but in all sports.

Doctors could refer patients to other doctors who they know support the existence of ADHD as well, for second or third opinion, reduce misdiagnoses (increase proper diagnoses) and reduce access for people who abuse the system/medication.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-05-18 at 01:38 PM..
Old 03-05-18, 02:54 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

At writing I am thinking of Mild's response, but it really applies to everyone's ideas to make change to reduce abuse with this specific case or with other proposed changes that could dramatically impact alot of people. I think we need to do a better job framing the problems and proposed changes w/ objective numbers. A couple of items currently/recently on the front pages of newspapers in the States come to mind. (PLEASE NO POLITICAL POSTS IN RESPONSE TO MY POST ONE WAY OR THE OTHER). It just seems we are good at proposing changes to fix a problem, we just don't make sure the problem is truly big enough to worry about, how we will determine if the changes work, and identify what to do if changes don't work or cause new problems BEFORE we make discuss the changes.

For example identify the number of people affected. The number of abusers. The detrimental costs of the abuse ($, number of people drastically effected). The desired goals of the target (How much will dollars be reduced, the reduction in number of people impacted, etc). Lastly what is proposed plan to measure the impact of the change and what is to be done if don't meet the Goals (Undo the changes, alternate changes, Stop worrying about the problem at hand?).

*Jumps off of soapbox*
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 04:07 PM

So far...

-street dealers
-friends at school/university
-theft
-misuse/abuse legal prescription
-internet
-write fake prescription
-people with AD(H)D selling their medication
-parents abusing their children’s medication
-faking ADHD symptoms to get diagnosed and lifetime prescription.

M
Old 03-05-18, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
-street dealers
-theft
-internet
-write fake prescription
-faking ADHD symptoms to get diagnosed and lifetime prescription.
You're missing children abusing their parent's or sibling's medications. Although technically this would fall under theft, I guess.

I agree with Little Nut's post about taking into consideration the impact of perceived problems and proposed solutions. I have a very strong feeling that only a tiny minority of abused ADHD medication comes from false prescriptions from legitimate doctors. What I mean by this is that people who are looking to make money off of meds (organized criminal gangs, specifically) have contacts who write out prescriptions on demand, no questions asked. They typically have more than one friendly doctor and rotate between them so as not to arouse suspicion. They don't want their sources getting burned any more than the doctor wants to go to prison. Add to that bulk imports from Asia (India and China especially) and you have the vast majority of black market pills covered.

With that in mind the proposed second opinion solution would be a hassle only to people who legitimately need a prescription. With how daunting it can be to seek help as it is when you have ADHD, it wouldn't have a net positive effect on society in my eyes. Trying to curb domestic sources isn't going to be very effective in reducing the amount of illegitimately sourced ADHD medication. It would only put a minuscule dent in it even if you managed to stop that front entirely.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 08:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

You get access by seeing a psychiatrist who will refer you to a neuropsychologist for testing and then makes a diagnosis. Then you get a legitimate prescription for the medication. How else would you imagine one gets access to a controlled substance?
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-06-18)
Old 03-05-18, 08:54 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,852 Times in 9,929 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
You get access by seeing a psychiatrist who will refer you to a neuropsychologist for testing and then makes a diagnosis. Then you get a legitimate prescription for the medication. How else would you imagine one gets access to a controlled substance?
The OP was asking about illegitimate prescriptions -- or legitimate prescriptions being used for purposes other than those for which they were legitimately intended.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-05-18), Greyhound1 (03-05-18), Little Missy (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
This thread is about exploring how people abusing ADHD medication, are getting the ADHD medication.

So far people have mentioned...

-street dealers
-theft
-internet
-write fake prescription
-faking ADHD symptoms to get diagnosed and lifetime prescription

M
aeon (03-05-18), namazu (03-05-18)
Old 03-07-18, 09:54 PM

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

There are. Dr. Feelgoods. The safest way is for him to sell (directly or not) to pusher bosses.
Old 03-07-18, 10:40 PM

Thanked 21,088 Times in 11,258 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
There are. Dr. Feelgoods. The safest way is for him to sell (directly or not) to pusher bosses.
HUH???

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-09-18, 09:15 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,220 Times in 14,325 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I forgot I read in the book “ADHD Nation” by Allan Schwarz (the concussion guy) there is a very serious problem with people faking ADHD symptoms to get diagnosed with ADHD, which gives the person faking symptoms access to ADHD medication.

I wonder if a mandatory EEG (along with present DSM diagnosic criteria) to help confirm diagnosis, would help reduce doubt of the existence of ADHD, and also reduce the number of people faking ADHD symptoms?

When EEG does not confirm diagnosis doctors could get a second opinion from another doctor.

I read EEG could confirm ADHD diagnosis in about 80% of diagnosis of ADHD.

(Then maybe the general population of people doubting existence of ADHD would also be dramatically reduced, making awareness and accommodations easier to access)

M
Have EEG's been proven scientifically to determine whether someone has adhd or not?

I carried a watermelon?