ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-04-10, 10:45 AM

kello2005 will become famous soon enough
Weird breathing on Vyvanse?

I started taking Vyvanse last week. I started with 50mg x 1 pill in the morning, and now I am taking 50mg x 2 in the morning (I just got off Adderall if the dose seems high).

Anyway, I have this incredibly annoying need to take very deep breaths. And I feel like I can't take a deep enough breath! I cough and try and breathe as deep as I can, but it's never deep enough. After 30 seconds or so of this, I have to force myself not to do it so I don't start hyperventilating.

I am a smoker, but I've never had this before. It's like once I start I can't stop. When I'm distracted I stop doing it...but the second I think about my breathing again it starts again.

Has anyone else had this?! How did you control it?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to kello2005 For This Useful Post:
kayleewun223 (08-22-12)
Old 08-04-10, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

kristymarie_24 will become famous soon enough
Re: Weird breathing on Vyvanse?

Sounds to me like your dose is way to high
Old 08-04-10, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

ZiggyFry has a spectacular aura aboutZiggyFry has a spectacular aura about

This is volume one of an accidental double-post.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-10, 11:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

ZiggyFry has a spectacular aura aboutZiggyFry has a spectacular aura about

I agree that it could be too high a dose, but I want to add that I've experienced this too both on and off vyvanse. I think (at least for me) it is anxiety related; almost like a mini panic attack. Is the vyvanse causing any anxiety for you?

Sin.Ziggy.
Old 08-04-10, 11:58 AM

No, so far no anxiety. Just this annoying breathing. I know the Vyvanse makes me want to smoke more, but not so much more that it would be causing some new breathing issue. Hmmm.
Old 08-04-10, 01:16 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kello2005 View Post
No, so far no anxiety. Just this annoying breathing. I know the Vyvanse makes me want to smoke more, but not so much more that it would be causing some new breathing issue. Hmmm.
Hi, I think I know what you are talking about. I take Adderall, and sometimes it too makes me breathe funny. It's kinda like after you get done crying super hard and you have that jerky breathing...

I also want to smoke more. I think that's common.

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
The Following User Says Thank You to fropunka For This Useful Post:
kello2005 (08-04-10)
Old 08-04-10, 01:23 PM

Thanks, it makes me feel better to know it's common. Is there anything you've tried that gets rid of it?
Old 08-04-10, 01:53 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough

Nope, I just try to ignore it. It doesn't happen that much anymore, so maybe it will go away eventually.

Does it happen to you everytime you take it? I think as long as you aren't getting light-headed or anything like that you should be fine.

Can't hurt to ask your doc though!

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
Old 08-04-10, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping it will lessen with time...maybe it's just my funny reaction to starting it for the first time. It started yesterday and happened a lot, so I woke up thinking about it this morning, which made me start breathing that way, which has led to me still doing it now at 2:30 in the afternoon. Bah!

My doc is away this week, but I'm going to mention it if it persists.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-05-10, 03:06 PM

amberterry is on a distinguished road

i have the same thing! i just moved up from 50mg to 70mg of vyvanse and have had weird breathing and TONS of yawning! it is very annoying, but i *think* i experienced it when i first started vyvanse (i dont really remember the yawning). maybe we're just going trhough an adjustment phase, but it does seem like my side effects increased significantly when my dose was bumped up.

i think one of the reasons vyvanse has such a good reputation is that a low dose is still very effective, so i think im going to ask to be moved back down and see what happens!
The Following User Says Thank You to amberterry For This Useful Post:
kayleewun223 (08-22-12)
Old 06-25-11, 06:30 PM

TCHRwithADD will become famous soon enough

I am experiencing this now for the first time and it is tough. I have to take deep breaths and still feel as if though i am not getting enough oxygen. It feels as though something is in the back of my throat. My vitals are perfect though. I take 2 60mg a day because my body metabolizes the meds too quickly. good to know i am not alone. Something that helps is burping...not sure how i discovered it but it clears up my throat and I can breath properly for a while but it eventually comes back
Old 06-25-11, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHRwithADD View Post
I am experiencing this now for the first time and it is tough. I have to take deep breaths and still feel as if though i am not getting enough oxygen. It feels as though something is in the back of my throat. My vitals are perfect though. I take 2 60mg a day because my body metabolizes the meds too quickly. good to know i am not alone. Something that helps is burping...not sure how i discovered it but it clears up my throat and I can breath properly for a while but it eventually comes back
Since you revived this thread to share your experience, I have to chime in to tell you I had the exact same thing. It got continually worse (I felt as though I was drowning/suffocating all day every day) and I had to discontinue the medication. Fortunately, Adderall doesn't do that to me.

And, not sure if this is helpful or not, but a former tweeker client of mine noticed my breathing when I was going through that week of hell, and told me she used to have the same problem when she was an IV meth user. She said something about it being an issue of her heart and lungs not working at the same pace, and that made complete sense to me.

In other cases, it may be acid reflux. Actually, the way you describe "something in the back of your throat" does sound a lot like heartburn, which can cause similar issues with breathing. In my case, it wasn't heartburn (or at least it didn't respond to antacids).
Old 05-22-12, 09:27 AM

endincollision is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I've been taking 60mg of these guys since August. Immediately I got the same insatiable breath you have all described. I initially attributed it to my dusty room and allergies. I moved to another place the next month, and the irregular breathing still occurred. It remained until I stopped taking it one month ago (so 9 months total) and is with me still... a full month after I stopped.

Hearing all of your responses gives me an assuring feeling, knowing that it's common. So I guess all I can do now is post some things I found help with the breathing pains and irregularities.

1. Avoid caffeine entirely.
2. Drink more water than you necessarily would.
3. Get your doctor to prescribe some kind of counteracting medicine for it (I take Lorezipam or Ativan – It cuts the anxiety which is apparently what triggers the breathing in the first place).
4. Go for a quick 2 minnute sprint periodically throughout the day.
5. Eat 3 full meals and continually have electrolyte-packed drinks every few hours, such as gatorade, vita coconut water, pedialyte depending on the age limit I guess.

It is still affecting me a month after I stopped taking it. So I guess use some caution in considering the duration of time you'll be taking Vyvanse... and anticipate that awful coming down feeling for the first 3 weeks you're off it; it's a load of "fun".

The Following User Says Thank You to endincollision For This Useful Post:
kayleewun223 (08-22-12)
Old 08-10-12, 05:13 PM
Jr Member

kayleewun223 is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm on 50 mg of vyvanse now, but for the last few years I was on 40 mg. and I have been having this problem the entire time. I can't believe I never made the connection I have been to so many doctors...this whole problem I have been having for YEARS is just a side effect...well **** I wish I knew that a year ago..anyway my doctor recently put me on .5 mg ativan, and I'm thinking thats just not enough I was thinking ativan usually made me tired but .5 mixed with my vyvanse does nothing, within the first 10 hours it feels like, should I increase my ativan dose? I don't want to change my vyvanse dosage because 50 really works..but I want something to counteract the breathing, any advice on dosage or something different?
Old 08-14-12, 01:43 PM
Jr Member

mww254 is on a distinguished road

It has changed my breathing even on the off days. Heavy breathing (which can sometimes cause co2 in your blood to spike) and sometimes it feels as though I was forgetting to breath. Like I would take a deep breath and be like "wow how long ago was my last breath?" But I do find this to happen either after drinking a really caffeinated drink, or when I'm really tired..

I'm going to try exercise (mainly because I need to anyway) but I'm hoping it helps. I also sometimes worry about my blood pressure, but every time I get it checked I'm told my bp and rate are really good, and people ask me if I exercise..

I definitely find that cutting caffeine while on vyvanse helps alot (though I usually need it on my off days)
I definitely keep well hydrated. But my diet has lots of room for improvement..
I'm hoping taking some steps can reduce the adverse side effects and also reduce my tolerance..
The Following User Says Thank You to mww254 For This Useful Post:
kayleewun223 (08-22-12)