ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-19-18, 06:12 PM

WilliamSteak is on a distinguished road
Several year break, how do I get prescribed again?

So I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in middle school. I was doing bad in classes and my parents took me to see someone, they asked questions and diagnosed me. That was nearly 10 years ago. I was on Adderal, then vyvanse, then back and forth. I stayed on vyvanse for a while until I hit the age of 21, I was then too old to see my doctor since they didn't see patients over 21.

Due to social anxiety and procrastination I didn't see a new doctor for over 2 years. The new doctor prescribed me paxil 2 months ago for social anxiety which is working nice, I've been getting out of the house more. They wouldn't however prescribe me anything for ADD. He wanted me to get a neurological exam for ADD. Again due to social anxiety/procrastination I didn't do that test.

I've moved to the other side of my state, am living on savings right now and looking for work. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and am hoping to get a prescription for vyvanse or adderal to help get my life together. Is there any reason a doctor wouldn't prescribe something to me since i've been off of it for a couple years now? Do I really need a neuro exam which I never needed before?
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamSteak For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-19-18)
Old 04-19-18, 06:54 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,378 Times in 7,653 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Several year break, how do I get prescribed again?

It's possible that your new doctor will want you to get an exam so they know for sure you have ADHD. The doctors have to watch their own backs as these meds are pretty tightly regulated and monitored, so they have to be careful not to prescribe them to just anyone.

That being said, I think it's important to be honest with your doctors. I'd suggest telling them what you just said here...that you're really struggling with your ADHD which you've been diagnosed with, and that a few years ago you were on meds and would like to try vyvanse to see if that might help.
I've found personally that my doctors appreciate when I let them know up front what I'm looking for from them. It makes their job a bit easier.

I'm wishing you the best and welcome to the forums!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
WilliamSteak (04-19-18)
Old 04-19-18, 07:06 PM

WilliamSteak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
It's possible that your new doctor will want you to get an exam so they know for sure you have ADHD. The doctors have to watch their own backs as these meds are pretty tightly regulated and monitored, so they have to be careful not to prescribe them to just anyone.

That being said, I think it's important to be honest with your doctors. I'd suggest telling them what you just said here...that you're really struggling with your ADHD which you've been diagnosed with, and that a few years ago you were on meds and would like to try vyvanse to see if that might help.
I've found personally that my doctors appreciate when I let them know up front what I'm looking for from them. It makes their job a bit easier.

I'm wishing you the best and welcome to the forums!
Thanks , I tried being honest with the doctor that prescribed me the paxil, but due to the social anxiety at the time i couldn't say what I wanted to say clearly. I've got the old bottle from my last vyvanse prescription that i'll bring with me to the new doctor. Also now that I'm on Paxil i'm a little more comfortable going to new places so getting the test will be easier this time if need be.

The way I would take vyvanse/adderal wasn't everyday and I think the way I described it to him made it seem like I didn't have ADD. I would take it when I needed to drive somewhere or go and do something. Although since I was usually just sitting behind the computer not going anywhere I didn't take it often since I didn't feel I needed it to watch youtube videos or browse the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamSteak For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-19-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-18, 06:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSteak View Post
The way I would take vyvanse/adderal wasn't everyday and I think the way I described it to him made it seem like I didn't have ADD. I would take it when I needed to drive somewhere or go and do something. Although since I was usually just sitting behind the computer not going anywhere I didn't take it often since I didn't feel I needed it to watch youtube videos or browse the internet.
That right there could make it difficult for you. ADHD is a chronic 24/7 disorder. We have issues that go beyond needing meds to "do something", or to drive, do schoolwork or stay employed. I know for me, I need meds everyday and take no breaks.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-21-18, 07:04 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

You don't specify whether the doctor you're going to see is a psychiatrist or a general practitioner. Some general practitioners don't have a DEA license.

I don't think you will have too many issues with getting it prescribed. You've been diagnosed and treated in the past. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder, so it's not just going to magically disappear from your life, and you have a reasonable explanation for why you haven't been treated for the past few years.

That being said, each doctor is different, so it really depends on who you get.
Old 04-21-18, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely take the med everyday.

If you only occasionally used the med, I can see the doctor concluding, "Well they must not have ADHD really bad."

If you get too scared during an appointment to speak up, consider writing out your words ... ahead of time and printing them out ... or take your phone or laptop and show to the doctor ... mention how scared you are ...that's very helpful for doctors to hear.
Old 05-06-18, 04:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If you have your old records documenting you were on a stimulant that would save you some trouble. If you do not have them but can get some sort of note, letter or verification that you were on vyvanse that would also be good. Maybe a fax or email if it needs to be received quickly. At worst case tell the new doctor to call your old office and they can at least look it up and tell the new doctor.

I carried a watermelon?