ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-01-18, 12:19 PM

ADDCJVA is on a distinguished road
YOUR Adderall IR: "Working" vs "Not Working" symptoms

I'm still titrating generic Adderall IR, and unable to find the correct dose over the last week or so. I have a p-doc meeting upcoming in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I am struggling to figure out why its not working at lower doses, nor higher doses (though today I'm trying the max dose the doctor recommended I try during titration, so maybe today will be my lucky day ).

Please tell me your experience for the following:
(and to make it easier for me to read, please type it like this)

-----------------

Medication:
- IR or XR

For me, I knew it wasn't working yet because:

-This dose range (for me):

-Psychologically:

-Physiologically:

For me, I knew it WAS working once this started happening:

-Psychologically:

-Physiologically:

--------------------------------
(feel free to follow up with a paragraph of any other notes, but it is easier for me to comprehend your first input, and compare it with others, if it is broken up like the above - thank you, and I appreciate your time!)
Old 03-01-18, 06:48 PM

Re: YOUR Adderall IR: "Working" vs "Not Working" symptoms

For starters, so far I've been unsuccessful at low doses (being 10mg IR 2x daily) and today trying the max the p-doc recommended: 30mg in the morning with a meal, I could feel my blood pressure increase about an hour later, but no extra focus or motivation, and the 20mg in the afternoon followed by 10mg an hour later, still I have no additional focus nor motivation. Just "minor" side effects. I'm just noodling around on the internet today, like everyday, researching why these meds don't seem to work for me, instead of all the things at work I'm supposed to be doing. I don't know if I'm "missing" the above "psychological" or "physiological" benefits, or if for me, it might just not work. Or if it might just not work at this dosage. I'm hoping some insight from the forum's users could enlighten me to when they knew it wasn't working, and when it was working.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDCJVA For This Useful Post:
slats28 (03-10-18)
Old 03-01-18, 07:03 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

It's not magic. You still have to sometimes force yourself to focus in on those tasks that aren't as fun as researching online. I could literally spend hours just browsing the internet and reading up on pharmacology.

I find that it happens to me a lot but once I make a conscious effort to exit the browser and get done what I need the adderall definitely helps.

I didn't titrate, I was started out on 20mg XR and that's where I've stayed for years. I don't take it everyday to keep tolerance down. So 3 days during the week I take it at work and those are my get **** done days, and then I don't take it weekends either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lntense For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-03-18), CharlesH (03-05-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-18, 06:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,000 Times in 14,796 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Medication:
- IR or XR

Adderall xr

It has always worked for me.

- 20mg xr 3x a day
-Psychologically:
Mood is good, focus is good, clear headed

-Physiologically:

Some excessive sweating- some chatterbox behavior but only at the first dose of the day.
Overall, no anxiety, no excessive worrying, positive attitude. Not feeling bored or aimless.

The biggest way I have figured my meds work is when I do not take them. THEN I realize how much I need them. This has happened due to poor planning on my part with refills or when my apts overlap with refills and I have to have the appt first before getting the refill.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 02:00 PM

Thank you Intense for your insight, and sarahsweets for your experience too. Good to see myself in context of what other people have experienced.

Yesterday was a rough day for me.

I took 60mg total:

-8am 20MG with 1/2 a protein bar
-10am 10MG
-12pm 20MG with 1/2 a protein bar
-12:30pm 10MG

P-doc said if 20mg and 20mg wasn't working, try 30mg and 30mg. The above schedule I tried to even out any peaks. I also had tons of water all day.

First half of the day there was no noticed focus or motivation or anything. I worked on random things at home which didn't need to be done, to try to motivate me to do something, but I was supposed to head to work. So, the first half of the day I felt fine, but wasn't doing anything I was supposed to, and didn't seem helped by the medication.

I got to work at 2pm, and it got busy at work right when I got there. I tried to eat a protein salad at 3pm, but I got interrupted and couldn't actually finish the salad until 5pm. Since this was really the only meal I had, I felt very off by 5pm. I left work early at 5, but had a customer ask me to visit their home from 6pm-7pm. I felt fine during that visit (maybe my work motivates me in that scenario?) and told my wife I was feeling better and we could go to dinner. But the 3 restaurants were packed so we headed home, and by 8pm a gigantic headache set in. We got fast food, because I was mentally hurting, and feeling off. With taco bell, and electrolytes, I felt modestly better by 9pm.

So, I just don't know what to make of any of this...
Old 03-03-18, 02:33 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you eating only/so much protein?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-03-18, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Why are you eating only/so much protein?
I have osteoporosis/osteopenia. Had 80lbs weight loss a few years ago, over 11 months, from diet only and sustained ultra low calories for about 1/5 years before being diagnosed. Endo thinks I got the condition from dieting, and protein and calcium are things I have to overload on now. But I'm supposed to have only 1,000 calories per day according to the Endo, due to the sudden weight gain (50lbs) after eating about 1800-2200 calories, but the 1,000 calories is hard to keep that low, while properly taking food with the medication.
Old 03-04-18, 04:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi ADD, It was never more complicated than listing each one of my symptoms that were a problem and example of them proving treatment or proving still a problem. HTH, -LN

Start w/ the list of the symptoms you were diagnosed with. Next to each symptom write down specific examples FROM THE PAST that are examples of that symptom causing you a problem. Next to that write down specific examples of that symptom NOW continuing to manifest or partially manifesting, or continuing to manifest.

Add-in which brand you were taking then and for the previous week or so if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-06-18)
Old 03-05-18, 04:31 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDCJVA View Post
I have osteoporosis/osteopenia. Had 80lbs weight loss a few years ago, over 11 months, from diet only and sustained ultra low calories for about 1/5 years before being diagnosed. Endo thinks I got the condition from dieting, and protein and calcium are things I have to overload on now. But I'm supposed to have only 1,000 calories per day according to the Endo, due to the sudden weight gain (50lbs) after eating about 1800-2200 calories, but the 1,000 calories is hard to keep that low, while properly taking food with the medication.

It's also important to keep it balanced with other nutrients, especially if you have osteoporosis/osteopenia. Leafy greens and other veggies are important. We can honestly do fine without carbs, or the minimal amount that vegetables have and keeps insulin sensitivity up which in turn will help you lose weight, but protein, healthy fats (for hormone production), and veggies are needed.

Just curious, what's your height, weight, and sex? Do you exercise
The Following User Says Thank You to lntense For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-06-18)
Old 03-05-18, 06:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDCJVA View Post
I'm hoping some insight from the forum's users could enlighten me to when they knew it wasn't working, and when it was working.
The amount of "noise" in my head went dramatically down.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the above responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lntense View Post
Just curious, what's your height, weight, and sex? Do you exercise
5'7" 195lbs Male 42 years old
Old 03-10-18, 01:42 PM
Jr Member

tristmegitus2 is on a distinguished road

Medication:

Adderall 20mg ir x2 a day is my most effective dosage. Sometimes I only need 20mg a day other times the second one is helpful. This is why I like instant release since it provides more control over dosaging. The days I only need one dosage is if I didn't sleep good to prevent bad crash symptoms.

This dose range (for me): Works pretty I enjoy a good start that the first 20mg does for me in the morning. It allows me to tackle the jobs of the day.

-Psychologically: I can feel a relief of my symptoms in about 30-40 minutes on the instant release. I feel focus and a subtle drive in the background that makes me want to complete the tasks of the day. My reward system is rather defective so the extra dopamine helps with motivation. I also tend to be overly bored with everything I do which is relative to the rewards I don't feel in my life but the medication allows me to complete things and feel rewarded.

-Physiologically: I am not trying to be gross but there is one tell tale sign that my meds have worked. Since it is a stimulate, I know when it is working good because I will have to use the restroom in the morning. I always like this because Adderall seems to help with ibs symptoms. When its working sometimes I will sweat a little, frequent urination, and minor tachycardia if I haven't slept good for the past day. Also I feel relaxed.

-This dose range (for me): Anything below 20mg does not work well for me. Last month I asked to try out 20mg xr and I found it to be rather inconsistent and not effective for me as the instant release. I never really get bad crashes on well rested days so instant release is not hard on me.

-Psychologically: For some reason on low dosages I get headaches and don't feel change between the ideal me and the Adhd me.
The Following User Says Thank You to tristmegitus2 For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-12-18)
Old 03-14-18, 02:30 AM

Smdedon is on a distinguished road

I was put on adderall when i was very young and elementary school. I will be 31 next month and i tried everything. The dosage is different for everyone and which ever is prescribed. The Vyvanse is definitely smoother and it does last awhile.. Other day i had some 60mg Vyvanse. And used to get 70's, they do take awhile to work. They break down inside your body and work with red blood cells. I would say its like a Cadillac.. But its not my preferable drug. I got 30mg XR's and 10mg IR's.. And also had the Dexedrine 10mg .. These are more my type. Everyone is different but they help alot. Mine work.. I get alot of stuff done when before could never do this..
The Following User Says Thank You to Smdedon For This Useful Post:
ADDCJVA (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the above.

I just had my first "med check". Unfortunately, my new, senior P-doc wasn't there. They had me see an NP instead.

I told her the Adderall IR I'm taking I've not been able to get to work for me. She seemed unaware of the 30/30 dose the doctor suggested, should 20/20 not work, and unaware that methylphenidate was on my gene testing as "moderate interaction" and didn't know she had that file. Then said, since previously with my old NP a year ago prescribed me 20mg of XR, and since that didn't work, that she would recommend I try Vyvanse instead.

I said "I can't tell if I'm on too high of a dose, or too low, of Adderall IR". She said "30mg is the max, so you can't go higher". Presumably she means 30mg x2 is the max, so, so much for the likelihood that I'll ever know whether higher is what my body needs. She made it seem like that was the legal limit, or something. And she said that the effects will not be life-changing and would be subtle, so I'm not sure what to make of this, whether those I've talked with on correct medications are not telling me the truth about their meds being noticeable and life changing, or if this NP is correct that it would not be.

So, on to Vyvanse 30mg. First month is free, so I'm going to try it. But after then, $340 per month is essentially a new car payment monthly. ...assuming it works.

(also posted this in the desoxyn thread)

Last edited by ADDCJVA; 03-14-18 at 02:20 PM..
Old 03-14-18, 02:42 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:

I said "I can't tell if I'm on too high of a dose, or too low, of Adderall IR". She said "30mg is the max, so you can't go higher". Presumably she means 30mg x2 is the max, so, so much for the likelihood that I'll ever know whether higher is what my body needs. She made it seem like that was the legal limit, or something. And she said that the effects will not be life-changing and would be subtle, so I'm not sure what to make of this, whether those I've talked with on correct medications are not telling me the truth about their meds being noticeable and life changing, or if this NP is correct that it would not be.
I personally would make another appt asap and see either your doc or her or someone else and clarify some things. First of all even if vyvnase was awesome you cant afford it. Second those recommended maximums are doses that werent a-tested using adult subjects and b- recommended not based on safety but on what the powers that be say you should be able to get relief on. I take 80mg amphetamines a day so 20mg above the max for adderall and dex. You should clarify the reason you cant tell if its working is because xyz symptoms havent improved and you havent been able to do xyz or abc and you feel that at this point you should know that something is working- that you are in the right ballpark. The thing is you have to really think about your symptoms. Medication is life changing because of symptom improvement but its not always an A-ha moment or some spirtitual awakening. Sometimes its more gradual and I think thats a good thing. People that abuse adderall are looking for that switch that will turn them into the guy from limitless- which is not what a doctor wants to hear.

I carried a watermelon?