ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-18, 05:42 PM

Chadjt3 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation First Time being Medicated Questions

Greetings,

24 year old male here who has lived with ADD his entire life, and just now came to medication. This is my second month on Adderall, I became tolerant to the first months trial dosage of 10mg after the first few days. Now I'm on my second week of taking 30mg a day (so technically 6 weeks of treatment).

The medication has worked tremendously. I feel calm and tuned in. My thoughts are no longer sporadic, and distracted. I can go from one thing to another without pausing, and staying on whatever task consistently until done. I use to make all these plans and at the end of the week be lucky to complete half of them, but no more.

I feel as if before my mind was an uncontrollably sky of shooting starts, going in whatever direction they wanted, and burning for however long they wanted to. But now my thoughts are like collected on a sail boat being smoothly blown across the sea. Lame on paper, but it is just the analogy I came up with earlier, so what the hell.

Anywayyysss, I've had no side effects but just one, and I don't even feel a comedown between doses, which I find strange. My one side effect is moderate constipation via frequent pencil stools. Have any of you experienced this, were you able to combat it, if so how? Also I've had a hard time getting deep sleep, but it is starting to subside, and can be corrected easily with melatonin.

I understand that you probably aren't a doctor, and I might get bombarded with people telling me to talk to my doctor, but considering this is an ADD forum, maybe some of you have talked to your doctor about these same things and can give some advice?

Vitamins I take a day: B12, Omega 3 fish oil, Choline, Magnesium, centrum multi vitamin, move free.

Others meds: Gabapentin, I take this as needed for anxiety, I'll take one 300mg capsule every other day on average.

With that said, anyone with any advice? Thank you for reading all this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
pcbnative (07-21-18)
Old 06-30-18, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: First Time being Medicated Questions

I don't think it's common for Adderall to directly cause digestion issues. It often decreases appetite. Has the Adderall led to you altering your dietary habits?

If you've tried 10mg and 30mg so far, then maybe 20 mg would help reduce some of the side effects you've been having?
Old 06-30-18, 07:46 PM

Nope, I've been eating my three meals a day just as before. I'm just curious to if there is a supplement to help me out. I googled searched this and it's tough to sort through the plethora of adderall information on the web to find the answer. I do agree about the dosage though, and have contemplated lowering it myself. I was surprised when she threw 30mg out there, I was expecting her to move me to 15 or 20 at most.

It could be the gabapentin, I've been on those for only two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-18, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen this topic discussed before on this forum ... might have been discussed, but not very often ...

So you might have changed your eating habits ... or you're having a weird side effect (very possible) ... Just try out some laxatives ...

The problem may well subside with time.

And one of the challenges of taking a new med at new dosage: sometimes that change has nothing to do with a new issue ... Just random coincidence ... that's why you want to mention this to a doctor ... might have nothing to do with your ADHD medication.
Old 07-21-18, 02:48 PM

pcbnative is on a distinguished road

I take Colon Max supplement. Iíve discussed this with my doctors (yes, more than one) and they tell me it is fine yo take. I buy on Amazon. I take two before bedtime and it is extremely helpful. Good luck!
Old 07-25-18, 07:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,398 Times in 15,007 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjt3 View Post
Nope, I've been eating my three meals a day just as before. I'm just curious to if there is a supplement to help me out. I googled searched this and it's tough to sort through the plethora of adderall information on the web to find the answer. I do agree about the dosage though, and have contemplated lowering it myself. I was surprised when she threw 30mg out there, I was expecting her to move me to 15 or 20 at most.

It could be the gabapentin, I've been on those for only two weeks.
I already have digestion issues for other reasons and I take a fiber supplement and miralax which helps.Its not so bad in juice but you can take it with water. The fiber pills you need to make sure you drink a lot of water because it can work in the reverse as far as constipation goes.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-25-18, 02:15 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Every stimulant I've ever tried has dried me out in some form or another. Monitoring your water consumption is vital when taking any of these meds, if you're not drinking enough water, the meds aren't going to work to their full potential and you're going to notice a lot more voiding issues.
Chadjt3 (07-26-18), Lunacie (08-02-18)
Old 07-31-18, 06:18 PM
Jr Member

hipsterdoofus is on a distinguished road

I've had this same thing with Vyvanse. I wouldn't consider myself constipated...I always have to go about 45 minutes after taking it. The pencil stools aren't as bad now that I've been taking it for a few months. You might just need to give your body time to adjust. In the meantime, drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fiber.
Old 07-31-18, 11:03 PM

Lost Keys is on a distinguished road

I’m on dexedrine and have noticed the same with it and caffeine. I’ve had the constipation problem and never slept well. I found that I get similar symptoms from caffeine. You might try tracking how much water and veggies you consume, and make sure you have some before you have your first pill.
With melatonin, I get really good results with the extended release 10 mg ones. Lots of companies make them. Without them I can’t get more than 5-6 hours. I also find I benefit from having the occasional one pill day and going to bed early.
Old 08-02-18, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
I've had this same thing with Vyvanse. I wouldn't consider myself constipated...I always have to go about 45 minutes after taking it. The pencil stools aren't as bad now that I've been taking it for a few months. You might just need to give your body time to adjust. In the meantime, drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fiber.
Yup I wrote this a few months ago and today I'm totally normal here. Word to the wise the frequent bowels are probably a matter of time thing like with us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
hipsterdoofus (08-03-18)
Old 08-02-18, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,983 Times in 12,125 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see this thread when first posted. Looks like you gotten good advice.

But ... I would point out that you did not develop tolerance within a week of
starting Adderall. It simply wasn't a high enough dose for you so the benefit
was minimal.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 08-02-18, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I didn't see this thread when first posted. Looks like you gotten good advice.

But ... I would point out that you did not develop tolerance within a week of
starting Adderall. It simply wasn't a high enough dose for you so the benefit
was minimal.
Yes that is probably more so the case. These side effects all have pretty much went away. I switched generic brands of adderall though recently and the new brand has been causing mood swings. I need to get back on my old brand. I'm on 30mg a day now and since the higher dos I've really benefited.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (08-03-18), Lunacie (08-03-18)
Old 08-03-18, 08:23 AM

SlamHamer89 is on a distinguished road

I can corroborate this. As recently diagnosed and started treatment my..... NO. 2 schedule all off. Not really constipated though. Also I have noticed I get "cotton mouth" too. Nothing that can't be solved with more water, which I drank religiously beforehand anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlamHamer89 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-03-18)
Old 08-03-18, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamHamer89 View Post
I can corroborate this. As recently diagnosed and started treatment my..... NO. 2 schedule all off. Not really constipated though. Also I have noticed I get "cotton mouth" too. Nothing that can't be solved with more water, which I drank religiously beforehand anyway.
I hear Miralax works great for constipation caused by it. I actually had thr opposite issue to constipation though. I'm lucky to have never gotten cotton mouth but they have products that act like eye drops for your mouth I'd look into that. Best of luck.