ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-18, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,333 Times in 675 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
How I work.

Hey guys, this is more or less, a self concept, a giant bit of realization. again, sense we all have ADHD, I think this concept might help those that are struggling with the same thing.

ehh, personally, I have had a couple of giant transformations the past couple of months, some realizations in spirituality (that process was wild). err, ya I'm tired, keep on track.

people with ADHD tend to be hunters in a farmers world. phrases like "the field of science and engineering, stem subjects etc..." are in direct reference to hunter/farmer societies. can't say this of all smart people, but sense I'm a smart hunter in this metaphor, how can I apply my smarts to the stem fields.

I finally came up with a solution, something my therapist and phd at the college have been pushing for (and something I had to realize). for me anyway, the words that I express have a direct effect on my behavior(affective language).

Attack the day. like, heh, I love video games and the reason, they satiate my deep hunter sense of, well, adventure, challenge, calculated risk taking.

Lists work well when I use them, and now that I've figured out why (not faking faking it). a List is like, heh, a hitlist in a way. in a video game we get quests and stuff and when we get done with the quest we mark them off, this gives us our dopamine hit, it's like hunters 20 thousand years ago who scored the big take down.

we can apply that same energy into task lists, action plans etc... for me though I had to realize this with some deep thinking and acceptance.(I won't lie, I think on one hand, while people with ADHD are very open, we do tend to also be very... ehh, hard headed in some area's (other's telling us what to do)).

thus we can guide ourselfs through utilizing lists and checking off(killing, like in a video game) the tasks that we have done. I think the breakdown of said lists are somewhat personal and take experimentation. for me (as in right now) I have my room I have to clean (cause I know I work better when my room/office is organized), so like, I mark down on a list 4 separate spaces I need to clean, after I clean a space I check that item off on the list.

personal taste also matters. sense affective language helps, well, I'm a man of action so action plans are what I put down. Music is a large part of my life, so I turn on music to help facilitate my actions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 02:43 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,388 Times in 10,226 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How I work.

If that approach works for and appeals to you, and you also appreciate some external motivation, there are some apps out there that will gamify your to-do lists. (If you prefer to do it yourself, that's cool, too.)
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,333 Times in 675 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
Re: How I work.

hah, I see what you did there

nah , give me them recommendations, I've been taking off my hardhat sense I know what control looks and sounds like now
Sponsored Links