ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-11, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,029 Times in 609 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
opening up to other people

Does anyone else have trouble opening up to other people including therapist?Why do you think you have trouble opening up?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-27-11), GabesMom (03-27-11)
Old 03-27-11, 07:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,243 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all
Re: opening up to other people

I have trouble trusting people enough to open up to them. I tend to be very guarded and suspicious of people's intention. My therapist said it probably has less o do with ADHD and more to do with my relationship issues with my father though.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Offle For This Useful Post:
awesomekitty (11-19-11), Celeste (10-15-11), finallyfound10 (06-19-11), GabesMom (03-27-11), Gilthranon (04-18-13), hypergirl96 (03-27-11), shysmile (03-27-11), Triptych (03-27-11)
Old 03-27-11, 07:07 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I too have trouble opening up to people.It usually takes me a long time of knowing someone before I feel I can open up to them.I especially have trouble opening up to a new therapist.I have been seeing my current doctor for about 5yrs. & I finally feel as though I can be completely open with him.But wouldn't you know he is no longer going to be seeing patients, so I will have to see someone else.I could never just meet a doctor & immediately start opening up to him/her.It takes me awhile before I can trust them.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 07:35 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of it has to do with fear and possibly uncertainty about my feelings being ok. I wonder if they're weird or not and what the therapist thinks of them.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-27-11, 07:47 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Do we tend to trust the wrong people?
Old 03-27-11, 08:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,208 Times in 677 Posts
C8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to behold

Initially talking to a therapist was super awkward for me. Now I probably talk too much. By initially, I mean the first 10 minutes or so. Lol. :-/

But when it comes to deep friendships, I have quite a bit of difficulty. Then even with some of my best friendships, I still find myself over-analyzing saying certain things because I'm afraid of opening up too much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C8H10N4O2 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-27-11), hypergirl96 (03-27-11)
Old 03-27-11, 08:24 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

I am relatively closed as I am an introvert and exposing what is going on in my mind would be a threat to national security.

Not opening up may be the result of repeated experiences of disapproval in the past. With so much disapproval, one learns to not express their thoughts and/or to deal with them independently. It's probably related to ADHD in an indirect fashion. I would think that the correlation would be higher with undiagnosed and late-diagnosed individuals than early ones.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
awesomekitty (11-19-11), bof00 (03-29-11), C8H10N4O2 (03-27-11), Freedom101 (03-29-11), hypergirl96 (03-27-11), Kirby Albee (04-03-11), SylviaLynn (11-10-11)
Old 03-27-11, 08:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Triptych is a jewel in the roughTriptych is a jewel in the roughTriptych is a jewel in the rough

Not anymore. I used to stay quiet about everything. I'm a quiet person. Being too quiet has gotten me into more trouble than anything I've ever actually said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Triptych For This Useful Post:
Kirby Albee (04-03-11)
Old 03-27-11, 08:48 PM
Banned

glebo will become famous soon enough

I used to be quiet. But ever since i was getting ongoing treatment and lifestyle adjustments, ive known to be more talkative and became more open to myself. This can lead to many good opportunities and helped me get back on socializing alot more often.
Old 03-27-11, 08:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

yup! Why is this? social anxiety and years of bullying and having my trust broken by people who were supposed to be close friends. I don't trust easily even though I try to be friendly. The trust is what takes a while for me to build up. My social anxiety came about from the bullying and other factors as well. I would tell secrets to people who were supposed to be my close friends, very personal ones, and before you know it, its spread through the school like wildfire.

So, I have loads of trouble opening up to people, even my parents and best friend! I'm either worried about what they'll think of me, if they'll make fun of me and stuff, or if they'll go and tell the world. Yeah, that's right, I said with my parents even, and I trust my mom over most everyone. If the pediatrician hadn't brought up ADHD first, I may never have talked to her about it. Yup, it's bad. Again, trust is easy to break and hard to mend. I'm the kind whose willing to forgive and forget, no loose ends (i just hate loose ends) but you can have your trust broken only so many times before you stop trusting people with your secrets. Which is one reason I'm shy.

I'm a hyperactive introvert. what does that mean? if i dont know you, im the quiet one jumping off the walls. if i do? I'm the loudest one bouncing of the walls. Even if i know you, but i judge myself around you or dont feel comfortable around you, then im the quiet one bouncing off the walls. which is why i get in trouble for talking in english class more than in, say, tech class.
Old 03-27-11, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

sienasmama09 has a spectacular aura aboutsienasmama09 has a spectacular aura about

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFunctioning View Post
I am relatively closed as I am an introvert and exposing what is going on in my mind would be a threat to national security.

Not opening up may be the result of repeated experiences of disapproval in the past. With so much disapproval, one learns to not express their thoughts and/or to deal with them independently. It's probably related to ADHD in an indirect fashion. I would think that the correlation would be higher with undiagnosed and late-diagnosed individuals than early ones.

Old 03-27-11, 09:14 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

yeah, and what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFunctioning View Post

Old 03-28-11, 08:40 AM

What exactly is an introvert?
Old 03-28-11, 02:38 PM

I have trouble trusting peope bcause they always seem to break that trust
Old 03-28-11, 03:03 PM
Forum Guru

Mesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I have trouble trusting peope bcause they always seem to break that trust

you almost took the words out of my head. i believe whether you have trouble trusting people is determined largely by what has happened as a result of you putting your trust in other people in the past. if, for example, you grew up with parents that betrayed your trust, and got involved in relationships where promises were broken and you lost a part of yourself... well, there's only so much of you to lose before there isn't anything left anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mesaana For This Useful Post:
buddy (03-28-11)