ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-18, 02:07 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road
Something as simple as listening to music

I notice when I am off medication I tend to listen to the same few songs over and over and over again. If I am playing in a social setting etc. I tend to play the same 10 songs or playlist over and over, which leads to people getting annoyed with me.

But when I am on medication, I tend to branch out more and I enjoy it. I can actually listen to music that I am not familiar with and develop a liking for new songs. Likewise, when playing music for friends I tend to incorporate more songs that I know other people like and as a result they are happier. Or I am just able to think more clearly and come up with songs that more people will enjoy.

But when I am off medication it is like I am reluctant to find new music to listen to, even though I am bored of constantly listening to the same songs. It has always been this way.

It is like I am so accustomed to a routine off meds and hate changing anything. But on meds I am much more willing to branch out, which actually makes me happier!

Why is this? Is there something I'm missing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to italianstallion For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (09-11-18), Hyperman87 (09-11-18)
Old 09-10-18, 02:23 PM

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Something as simple as listening to music

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
I notice when I am off medication I tend to listen to the same few songs over and over and over again. If I am playing in a social setting etc. I tend to play the same 10 songs or playlist over and over, which leads to people getting annoyed with me.

But when I am on medication, I tend to branch out more and I enjoy it. I can actually listen to music that I am not familiar with and develop a liking for new songs. Likewise, when playing music for friends I tend to incorporate more songs that I know other people like and as a result they are happier. Or I am just able to think more clearly and come up with songs that more people will enjoy.

But when I am off medication it is like I am reluctant to find new music to listen to, even though I am bored of constantly listening to the same songs. It has always been this way.

It is like I am so accustomed to a routine off meds and hate changing anything. But on meds I am much more willing to branch out, which actually makes me happier!

Why is this? Is there something I'm missing?

It is normal, it will happen to you with many other things, not only with music. With medication, in general you are more predisposed to do things, you are less worried and more attentive to live the moment.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-11-18), italianstallion (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 03:47 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
It is normal, it will happen to you with many other things, not only with music. With medication, in general you are more predisposed to do things, you are less worried and more attentive to live the moment.
Well said! That is definitely true as it applies to many facets. I just found the music thing interesting because it is one specific thing that is easy to measure as I see a very clear difference when on meds vs. off.

But that is so true, once accustomed to taking the medication it does seem to make every activity better as I am definitely 'less worried' and more 'attentive to the moment'.
The Following User Says Thank You to italianstallion For This Useful Post:
benito (09-10-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-18, 04:39 PM

cuegeee is on a distinguished road

I have the same workout music playlist for the last 15 years. The songs sometimes are just repeated for the whole week. It’s just what works and what gets you in a specific rhythm that you gravitate towards. Who cares if it’s the same song over and over!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuegeee For This Useful Post:
italianstallion (09-11-18), PoppnNSailinMan (09-11-18)
Old 09-10-18, 05:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,279 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to the same song over and over again sometimes for months (e.g. I listened only to one particular song for about three months on three hour commutes. My husband used to get pretty annoyed too. Sometimes I also listen to a single passage of a song repeatedly.

I think for me when I like something I just really like it.

Having said that I do not do well with change and rarely listen to new songs in general. Most of the music I like is still what I used to.listej to in my formative years..about twenty years ago.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-11-18), italianstallion (09-11-18), Little Missy (09-10-18), PoppnNSailinMan (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 02:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

I do this sometimes with music and movies
acdc01 (09-11-18)