ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-04-18, 09:55 PM

winnifred is on a distinguished road
Anyone experienced insomnia caused by Adderall XR?

Adderall 5mg and 10 mg didn't work for me. I felt very little effect on concentration and experienced terrible rebound.
Strangely, Adderall XR 20 mg worked amazingly well! (I found online that Adderall 10mg is equivalent to Adderall XR 20mg.) I could concentrate for a long time easily which was unthinkable before. But if I take only 10 mg it only makes me kinda sleepy and I could hardly sense any positive effect.

However, the side effect for taking 20 mg is quite strong too. On the first day I took the pill at noon and I didn't sleep the whole night. Even though I was really tired, I just couldn't fall asleep! I don't know exactly when the effect worn off because I could feel the medicine was still in my system till the second day!
I'm sleep deprived now.

How do I deal with this insomnia problem? Is it the dosage is too high? Maybe Adderall XR 15 mg would be better? Cause 10 mg really does nothing. Is it that Adderall and Adderall XR are just not for me? Is there possibility that my body may adjust to Adderall XR after a couple of weeks? Share with me your experience and I will be grateful!

PS: melatonin doesn't work for me
Old 09-11-18, 02:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone experienced insomnia caused by Adderall XR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnifred View Post
Adderall 5mg and 10 mg didn't work for me. I felt very little effect on concentration and experienced terrible rebound.
Strangely, Adderall XR 20 mg worked amazingly well! (I found online that Adderall 10mg is equivalent to Adderall XR 20mg.) I could concentrate for a long time easily which was unthinkable before. But if I take only 10 mg it only makes me kinda sleepy and I could hardly sense any positive effect.
Mg per mg IR adderall and xr adderall are the same. Its probably working better for you because its a higher dose and the release mechanism is different. With xr half the beads are released immediately and the other half about 4 hours later.

Quote:
However, the side effect for taking 20 mg is quite strong too. On the first day I took the pill at noon and I didn't sleep the whole night. Even though I was really tired, I just couldn't fall asleep! I don't know exactly when the effect worn off because I could feel the medicine was still in my system till the second day!
I'm sleep deprived now.
Some people have issues with xr meds. It could be due to metabolism or just sensitivity. Personally in your case, I would take it in the morning only to see what happens and avoid any caffeine or afternoon dosage.

Quote:
How do I deal with this insomnia problem? Is it the dosage is too high? Maybe Adderall XR 15 mg would be better? Cause 10 mg really does nothing. Is it that Adderall and Adderall XR are just not for me? Is there possibility that my body may adjust to Adderall XR after a couple of weeks? Share with me your experience and I will be grateful!

PS: melatonin doesn't work for me
I think you should give it a little more time and take it in the morning before you write it off. If 20mg worked perfectly its not necessarily a dosing issue its a timing issue.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
benito (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 03:19 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone experienced insomnia caused by Adderall XR?

Try taking the XR earlier in the day.

This is also something that tends to happen at first but will go away with time. I can take my regular dose of XR or IR later in the day now and still fall asleep just fine.
Sponsored Links