ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-20-18, 05:26 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Question How would you explain this situation to others

I've volunteered/worked in a field for many years and have realized that I'm being passed up for positions that other less qualified and younger people are obtaining. What's the best way to explain my situation when other opportunities for me to volunteer my time pop up?

I've realized that no matter how much I do in this field, I will not advance any further. Therefore, I'm not going to be volunteering like I used to. I'm not going to be as involved as I used to. I hope to explain myself in a way that I'm understood, but I'm sure it's going to seem like I'm ungrateful or being negative.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 09-21-18, 06:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
Re: How would you explain this situation to others

Simply go to the boss an tell them you're going to quit because you do not feel the job is intereting/valuale/fullfilling.

If they dn't care, you can alway say you took a trip to North Carolina and sw the Florence ictims and you're back on track
Old 09-21-18, 07:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,060 Times in 13,141 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

You don't owe any kind of explanation. just say you are currently less available bc of other priorities or engagements. Especially if it's volunteer work.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 08:47 AM

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,189 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Anon it's about self care and boundaries. You don't have to do what others request / expect of you. You don't need permission. You don't even need to make an excuse or give a reason.

I remember your posts from earlier days so I will offer you this.

Do not JADE (justify, argue, defend, explain). A simple no with suffice. This is something you need to practice and it gets easier with time. It's so hard at the start but the more you do it the easier it gets.
acdc01 (09-21-18), anonymouslyadd (09-22-18)
Old 09-21-18, 09:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post

Do not JADE (justify, argue, defend, explain). A simple no with suffice. This is something you need to practice and it gets easier with time. It's so hard at the start but the more you do it the easier it gets.

Why "do not jade" is a good idea if he can either gain or lose ?
Gain money/recognition, lose satisfaction/self-respect...
Old 09-21-18, 10:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,434 Times in 15,027 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Tudor is right. The answer is no. No one needs an explanation. Less is more.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-22-18)
Old 09-21-18, 01:50 PM

Thanked 3,978 Times in 2,047 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I like tudorose's answer and if they don't ask you why, you can just not tell them the reason. But if they end up asking you why which would not surprise me since you've been doing it for so long, just tell them something generic but still true like you want to prioritize your family (might not be the only or even main reason but I assume spending more time with your family is a good thing).

I've been told, you never give the actual reason for leaving on any job (especially paid ones but unpaid too) if the reason is dissatisfaction in something. They rarely learn and it may bite you in the butt someday. It's a smart practice which tbh, I've had difficulties following myself in the past.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-22-18), stef (09-21-18), tudorose (09-21-18)
Old 09-22-18, 08:45 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I've been told, you never give the actual reason for leaving on any job (especially paid ones but unpaid too) if the reason is dissatisfaction in something. They rarely learn and it may bite you in the butt someday. It's a smart practice which tbh, I've had difficulties following myself in the past.
That's the struggle I'm having. I want to let them know the "why," but it's probably unproductive. It's not going to change anything anyway.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
tudorose (09-23-18)
Old 09-25-18, 11:52 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Anon it's about self care and boundaries. You don't have to do what others request / expect of you. You don't need permission. You don't even need to make an excuse or give a reason.

I remember your posts from earlier days so I will offer you this.

I've never seen this before!! I love it!! I'm all about JADE to my great detriment.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (09-26-18)