ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-18, 08:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,068 Times in 15,337 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
My 22 year old son Jacob had a stroke..

I do not have much time, have to get back to the hospital. Just taking a quick break. Black Friday my son lost vision and couldnt speak so we rushed him to the ER. He was put on a stroke protocol. He had a stroke and there was evidence of another tiny one that he wouldnt have even noticed. We are besides ourselves. I have been at the hospital nonstop. It is unreal. The damage seems for now to be minimal. He is so upset. He says he doesnt want to be "dumb" and he wanted straight A's. He keeps apologizing about the cost of the hospital stay ( do we worry so much about money around our kids that they feel this way?) I guess we do and that sh*t stops now.

They think it could be his heart. Today he is having a TEE to look at the back of his heart for holes or tumors. We kind of want it to be his heart in the sense that it will give us a reason that we can fix. If it isnt then we have to chalk it up to a fluke and worry about it for the rest of our lives. He is so scared. This independent wonderful son of mine is so embarrassed and feels like a burden. I love him so much. So so much. He is 22 years old. We feel guilty that we didnt take him to my moms hospital or call 911 but we got him to the er in 10 minutes, we just didnt even think it was a stroke..who would think that at 22 years old?

He mixes up words, and gets a little tongue tied. He is angry at how unfair it is. He has right side weakness and unsteadyness. They think he will make a full recovery which is good but seeing him like this, knowing he was going to be at the UN in NYC for debates and he now has to miss that.His young democrats society is put on hold.
We are hoping his professors make exceptions so he does not have to take a withdrawl.

He gets so sad..but then he is the old jake cracking jokes. His personality seems to have changed slightly which they said could happen. He has no filter now and proudly announced that he smelled a fart last night which made us laugh.
I plan on checking in here when I can. Helping others or just posting will help me not ruminate on everything but it depends on how busy I get.
I wanted you all to know. If you pray, pray hard.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-26-18), Greyhound1 (11-26-18), lisariver (11-30-18), Little Missy (11-26-18), Lunacie (11-26-18), midnightstar (11-26-18), namazu (11-28-18), psychopathetic (11-26-18), someothertime (01-01-19), stef (11-26-18), tudorose (11-26-18)
Old 11-26-18, 09:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,733 Times in 14,133 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My 22 year old son Jacob had a stroke..

Sarah I'm sorry. What a huge scary shock that must be for your son, you and your family. I hope you can find some answers and I hope they will hlgive you some comfort. Your son sounds incredible. You have much to be proud of and nothing to blame yourself for. Much love and strength to all of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 10:05 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,709 Times in 14,019 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

That's awful sarah, all the good wishes I can possibly send coming your way
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 12:20 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,210 Times in 2,580 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 12:38 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i'm so sorry. love and light xx
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 02:46 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,985 Times in 7,935 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god this is so heart breaking

(((Sweets)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 02:57 PM

Thanked 11,398 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

im very sorry best wishes
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 05:19 PM

Thanked 27,459 Times in 13,293 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

you and your family are in my prayers
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 05:20 PM

Thanked 26,824 Times in 12,521 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

sarah

jake

This has been such a crazy year for you.
You are amazing and strong and stubborn as hell.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 06:50 PM

Thanked 5,553 Times in 2,399 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everything is okay. It's rare to have a stroke so young but I knew someone who that happened to. She is fine now but she had to learn how to write again but once she did she came back strong. She has adhd too. Sounds like you got to it early which is fortunate
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 10:31 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,234 Times in 7,781 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Iím so sorry Sarah.

Being ill can feel so unfair, but I hope you know how many people are out there thinking of you and sending healing thoughts yours, your family and Jacobs way. I know I am!

Blessed be....
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (11-27-18)
Old 11-27-18, 05:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,068 Times in 15,337 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, update:
I had to educate myself and learn from the doctor so here goes...
We all have four chambers of our hearts. When we are born there is a small hole between the upper two chambers that normally closes up as an infant. In 25% of cases it remains open. we all naturally have clots in our blood that are normally absorbed. In even rarer cases those clots escape and go into the heart and sneak through that unclosed hole and got to the brain. Its a matter of a perfect storm. The acronym for the condition is PFO. Most people would not even know they have this hole and most people live their whole lives with no issues.

Well what to do... in his case at 22 they are going to repair it. They go into the femoral artery and up to the heart to fix it-a scary but safe procedure. He saw the neurologist and cardiologist again yesterday for the TEE- the cardio had him consult with a blood doctor who ordered a million tests to check for blood abnormalities. He had ultrasounds of his arms and legs to make sure there were no clots there. He is having a third round of cat scans to check is chest cavity and abdomen. He has seen PT, OT and speech pathologist.
This is good news though because it was what they expected and what we wanted because its a problem with a solution. We were afraid they wouldnt find this issue and then it would have been unknown as to why he had the strokes. He is going to end up on a heart monitor in the weeks leading up to the surgery to make sure he doesnt "throw PAC"S" (whatever that means) and to be sure he isnt in A-fib.

He is doing remarkable really, but then I have a moment to myself and realize that we are talking about him doing well after a stroke- when last week I was saying how well he does in school.

I have had one hell of a year. Not sure how much more I can take.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Andi (11-27-18), CharlesH (11-27-18), Fuzzy12 (11-27-18), Greyhound1 (11-27-18), Lunacie (11-27-18), midnightstar (11-27-18), namazu (11-28-18), psychopathetic (11-27-18), Rebelyell (11-29-18), someothertime (01-01-19), stef (11-27-18), tudorose (11-27-18)
Old 11-27-18, 05:54 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,709 Times in 14,019 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

(((((sarah and Jacob))))) much love to you both and I hope Jacob gets better soon
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 11-27-18, 07:01 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,371 Times in 5,420 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes! I’m glad he’s relatively ok and safe. Even better that they found a reason for the stroke. PACs are premature atrial contractions, and atrial fibrillation is a relatively common arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). It does increase stroke risk. There are drugs that take you out of that rhythm. It’s also one you can shock out of if necessary.

When I was working in a lab attached to a hospital, one of our younger colleagues had a stroke me walked himself down the block to the ER. It’s rare but not unheard of.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Andi (11-27-18), Lunacie (11-27-18), namazu (11-28-18), Rebelyell (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 04:02 AM

Thanked 1,609 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

(((Sarah)))

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. He's very blessed to have such a close family.

Thank God that he was able to get to hospital so quickly as the earlier the stroke protocols are started the better chance of a good outcome. I remember learning about patent foramen ovale (PFO) in my pediatric class in nursing school. I'm so glad they are closing the hole! I remember that some people were only put on an anti-coagulant but after a stroke the best practice my only be surgery.

You have had it very rough in 2018 but the good news is that in 1 month, it is all a clean slate again! I will pray.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (11-29-18), stef (11-29-18)