ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-05, 07:56 PM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Hollistic ADHD remedies?

I've been researching hollistic ADHD remedies and have found 2 that look promising ...

DMAE - up to 1982 was prescribed for ADHD symptoms. The company took it off the market after the FDA demanded more documentation. There are two double blind studies done in the 1970's that showed significant improved in test scores. It is no longer available via prescription but can be purchased at health stores as a food supplement. DMAE is usually one of the ingredients in hollistic ADHD formulas.

Tyrosine - the studies done have shown short lived improvement - about a month. I have read that its efficacy can be longer when in combination with other naturally occuring substances such as GTF chromium, C, B5 and manganese.

If you have any info or experience with the above please post.

Thanks,
Bob

PS I'm in my seventh month of Ritalin therapy. Lately I've notice some loss of libido and very small involuntary movements mostly in my fingers and thumbs - nothing I can't live with but it probably will get worse. Ritalin continues to work well controlling my ADHD "inattentive" type symptoms.

PSS Or should I go with Adderral xr - the shrink wants me to "up" to it.
Old 07-23-05, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

prumont is on a distinguished road
Hi Bob
Don't forget to check out neurofeedback (a good intro article can be found here http://www.addresources.org/article_...cy_rabiner.php).

It is possible to retrain the brain to help overcome or minimise adhd symptoms. I've used similar techniques with success.

Cheers

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-23-05, 09:43 PM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Pru,

Thanks. I checked it out. My HMO recently paid for a ADHD eval which surprised me. I doubt they'll pay for neuro-feedback. I will check but even if it is covered I'll have to wait until next year. I am rapidly approaching my policy limits.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-05, 09:44 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1951

Tyrosine - the studies done have shown short lived improvement - about a month. I have read that its efficacy can be longer when in combination with other naturally occuring substances such as GTF chromium, C, B5 and manganese.
FYI, with L-Tyrosine, you should be taking some sort of multi-vitamin with it anyway. I believe it takes vitamin B6, folic acid, and copper to process L-Tyrosine into neurotransitters (dopamine, norepinephrine, etc.)
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).