ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-31-05, 04:06 PM

Orlando has disabled reputation
Prescribed Fake Adderall?

Hello! I am new and I am a 19 year old male.

I recently switched psychiatrists and (they always think we are crazy when we just have ADD ). I was really open to the new woman and I told her how 3 years ago I sold drugs on a small scale when I was a young idiot punk kid and how I have been clean since a year before I began treatment for ADD.

She became recalcitrant and wanted me to "consider" switching to Straterra.

I explained that I had originally been on Straterra for 6 months and it was horrible (over 2 years ago when first diagnosed).

She then finally agreed to write me out a prescription for Adderall but she wanted me to cut my dose from two 20 mg's to one since I told her that in the Summer I take less than prescribed.

When I took the prescription to the pharmacy they said they were out of Adderall and I'd have to wait three days. After I got it I felt nothing when I took it; I even took two and then a third one a few hours later and nothing.

A single Adderall is usually more than enough for me when I haven't taken it for a few days.

I feel that the reluctance of the psychiatrist along with the delay at the pharmacy could be the result of me being prescribed a placebo.

Does "Placebo Adderall" exist? Is that legal?

It's nice to find a forum like this, regardless. Thank you.
Old 07-31-05, 04:21 PM

I had subscription turned off by default and this should now subscribe me as I changed the setting.
Old 07-31-05, 04:31 PM
Forum Guru

LittlePrincess has a spectacular aura aboutLittlePrincess has a spectacular aura about
I highly doubt that it is legal to give you "fake" Adderall.

Also if you haven't taken it in a while, you may have forgotten the "feeling" you get when taking it. That's how it was for me anyways. You really shouldn't "feel" medicine... It should just make you feel less anxious, and control your specific symptoms of ADD/ADHD. Also- this is a different dose than you were used it, correct?? Did she switch you to XR instead of the original short acting version? Dosage and form makes a big difference.

Anyway, back to the "fake" Adderall:
Give us some more information about the prescription. When you read the prescription, written by the doctor, what did it say exactly? Was your Co-Pay the same? What does the bottle say? Is it generic or brand name? Is it Adderall XR or original short-acting Adderall? I highly doubt this is a "fake" prescription. Look into these questions and get back to us.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePrincess
I highly doubt that it is legal to give you "fake" Adderall.
Yea, it as probably my ADD(H)D riddled brain tricking me!

Quote:
Also if you haven't taken it in a while, you may have forgotten the "feeling" you get when taking it.
True. I am used to XR and that's what this was so it wasn't a change in prescription.
Quote:
When you read the prescription, written by the doctor, what did it say exactly?
It looked normal but it was for half the dose.
Quote:
Was your Co-Pay the same?
Yeah.

Quote:
Adderall XR or original short-acting Adderall? I highly doubt this is a "fake" prescription.
XR.
I was probably just paranoid. I am glad I found this site though.

I can sense the Adderall now helping as of 30 mins ago. It just seemed delayed. Since I got a new psychiatrist I was about a week without taking it and then with three more days added.
Old 07-31-05, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Cactus has disabled reputation
Really I'm replying to this thread just because somebody who says "recalcitrant" deserves a reply. They just do. It's a great word!

So, as you've already concluded there is not much chance that it's fake, but hey, I'm recalcitrant to state that catagorically.

And stay around. There's alot to learn her.
Old 08-01-05, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
For future reference it is illegal to prescribe placebo's or to fill placebo's without the patience prior knowledge. Kinda defeats the purpose I know; but, placebo's are generally only used in the experimental stages anymore and you are forced to sign a waver stating you are aware you may or may not be given one thru the course of therapy.

We used to use them for anxiety, fake chest pains, etc, etc in the nursing home. The problem with placebos is your treating something that may be very real with nothing more then a skittle and many people suffered because of this that is why congress went about changing the standard for placebo's.

Cherity
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 08-14-05, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

MillenniumMan is on a distinguished road
what do you mean by fake Adderall???...what...
Old 08-15-05, 02:15 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillenniumMan
what do you mean by fake Adderall???...what...
M&M,
It's for people who don't want to take Ritalin.

Phaedrus

Old 08-16-05, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

MillenniumMan is on a distinguished road
Ritalin is bad imo we've heard this just recently on t.v. Ritalin
causes rage. I still didn't get that when you said it's for people
who don't want to take Ritalin but then fake Adderall isn't Adderall
I take it. placebo Adderall??? what the heck...dude!
Old 08-16-05, 08:03 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,822 Times in 545 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Ritalin is bad imo we've heard this just recently on t.v. Ritalin
causes rage. I still didn't get that when you said it's for people
who don't want to take Ritalin but then fake Adderall isn't Adderall
I take it. placebo Adderall??? what the heck...dude!
What quality research can you point to, that states that Ritalin causes rage? or is this some unsubstantiated sensationalism that you're quoting?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-18-09), peripatetic (11-19-09)
Old 08-16-05, 10:48 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Depending on your bodies reaction any med can cause a rage or other side effect. It has nothing to do with the med necessarily rather then how your own body breaks it down and uses the med. Percocet can cause extreme rage in the elderly because their blood stream is slowed and the med does not break down properly.

Its unfair to base a small number of side effects or adverse reactions on the whole population when more patients have had great benefits and improvements from Ritilin then those who have not. Unless, your striving for sensationalism.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 08-17-05, 12:46 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
what the heck...dude!
Sorry, MnmMan, I was jesting.
And that's dudette to you, bud.

Phaedrus

Old 08-18-05, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

andiemedic has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
When I took the prescription to the pharmacy they said they were out of Adderall and I'd have to wait three days. After I got it I felt nothing when I took it; I even took two and then a third one a few hours later and nothing.

A single Adderall is usually more than enough for me when I haven't taken it for a few days.

I feel that the reluctance of the psychiatrist along with the delay at the pharmacy could be the result of me being prescribed a placebo.

What really concerns me is that you took so many pills within hours of each other (of the XR version)- I wouldn't do that again. Now I'm not trying to scold you, I just hope you're aware of what Adderall can do. If you were only taking 10mgs each time it was probably fine, but at higher doses that can be somewhat dangerous...Adderall is an amphetamine (a CNS stimulant) which, if not taken in controlled doses can severely effect your cardiovascular system.
All right I'm done, just be careful next time, and call the pharmacist or your M.D. (or another one if you don't trust yours).

Sorry if I'm just repeating what others have already told you. So the reason why you probably didn't feel the effects right away is b/c it was Adderall-XR. B/c the XR is sustained-release, it doesn't come on all of the sudden its gradual, and it was also a decreased dose (from what you usually take). By the way the peak effects of Adderall-XR, I believe are generally (all depending on the pt.) felt at about 1.5-2hrs, just F.Y.I.

Nucking Futs (I think thats who wrote this next statement) is right, it is against the law to do anything to a patient without their expressed knowledge and consent, as long as they are of sound mind (and if all you have is ADD you are still of sound mind) that goes for the pharmacist and the M.D. (although the smaller details of the laws differ from state to state).

As for why the pharmacy took so long to fill the prescription, in my experience, b/c Adderall-XR is a bit newer they often run out of it, b/c of unanticipated scripts. If I am getting mine filled at my usual pharmacy it's usually fine, because they know I'll be there every month for it But if for some reason I have to get it filled at another pharmacy I usually call ahead to make sure they have enough, just a suggestion. But they probably really did run out.

And now I am done babbling...
Old 09-01-05, 01:54 PM

Dave123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
Hello! I am new and I am a 19 year old male.

I recently switched psychiatrists and (they always think we are crazy when we just have ADD ). I was really open to the new woman and I told her how 3 years ago I sold drugs on a small scale when I was a young idiot punk kid and how I have been clean since a year before I began treatment for ADD.

She became recalcitrant and wanted me to "consider" switching to Straterra.

I explained that I had originally been on Straterra for 6 months and it was horrible (over 2 years ago when first diagnosed).

She then finally agreed to write me out a prescription for Adderall but she wanted me to cut my dose from two 20 mg's to one since I told her that in the Summer I take less than prescribed.

It's nice to find a forum like this, regardless. Thank you.
Did it say "placebo" anywhere on the bottle or prescription? Doctors do that occasioanlly. Who the manufacturer on the bottle? (sorry, questions)
Old 09-01-05, 02:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jami Lea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking_Futs
For future reference it is illegal to prescribe placebo's or to fill placebo's without the patience prior knowledge. Kinda defeats the purpose I know; but, placebo's are generally only used in the experimental stages anymore and you are forced to sign a waver stating you are aware you may or may not be given one thru the course of therapy.

We used to use them for anxiety, fake chest pains, etc, etc in the nursing home. The problem with placebos is your treating something that may be very real with nothing more then a skittle and many people suffered because of this that is why congress went about changing the standard for placebo's.

Cherity
Have you been reading up with the news and things about how it is controversy right now whether it is against the law or not? Pharmacists are allowed to perscribe what they call "duds" if they feel it is against their moral beliefs. There are all kinds of cases where they even give women fake birth control. HA! What is this world coming to?