ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-05, 07:22 AM
Jr Member

reckless is on a distinguished road
Is the Prozac worsening my ADD?

I started taking Prozac for anxiety after I had been taking Adderall for several months. The Prozac had an immediate effect and alliviated the anxiety but t seemed to cause my ADD symptoms to skyrocket. I've never heard of something like this happening, does anyone have any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to reckless For This Useful Post:
Siouxshi (02-28-12)
Old 08-04-05, 08:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
Prozac and other anti-depressants tend to make me very hyperactive. I does seem to help my attention span a tad, though.
Old 08-04-05, 10:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

Cactus has disabled reputation
What symptoms are you experiencing?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 08:20 PM
Jr Member

reckless is on a distinguished road
I find myself fidgeting more in order to focus. I'll get stalled out in daydreams and when I realize that I'm lost inside my head it doesn't bother me. I have a harder time following conversations between people when I'm not involved in the discussion. I get sidetracked more easily. It all seems like worse ADD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reckless For This Useful Post:
jonnyc55 (05-07-12), Siouxshi (02-28-12)
Old 01-27-12, 04:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: Is the Prozac worsening my ADD?

every time I take prozac I get this response. I get spacey and cannot retain anything that I read. I just get antsy and don't even want to sit down. It's like taking tossing away my stimulants because their effect becomes useless used in combination. I have to stop this stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
Siouxshi (02-28-12)
Old 01-31-12, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen some reports of people who experience a "demotivating" effect or a worsening of their ADHD symptoms when starting on an SSRI. Stimulants and SSRIs don't counteract each other per se, but they do -- at least in some people -- make it so that a higher or lower dose of stimulant meds is needed to achieve the same effect while on an SSRI.
Old 02-28-12, 02:52 PM

Siouxshi is on a distinguished road

I had a miserable experience with Effexor this way. The higher the dose the worse it got. It made the ADD symtoms much worse and it also removed my anxiety a little too well - it made me completely apathetic to everything going on in my life.
Old 02-28-12, 02:55 PM

Thanked 13,373 Times in 6,332 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had a miserable experience with Effexor this way. The higher the dose the worse it got. It made the ADD symtoms much worse and it also removed my anxiety a little too well - it made me completely apathetic to everything going on in my life.
The same thing seems to be happening to me. I've just started taking Sertraline and though my GP said that it would help with focussing and concentration it seems to have made it worse. It's still early days so I'm hoping that things will get better. My anxiety notably reduces though after popping the tablet and that doesn't help either with getting anything done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Siouxshi (02-28-12)
Old 02-28-12, 03:05 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't know about you guys but I have adhd . I'm not a patient person. Hours feel like an eternal prison for me and taking higher doses because I feel weird and apathetic dont really go over well. On the good side , i"m not worried about too much. Now I'm not searching ten million different things. More the fact that I cannot focus. Seems like an executive function problem. I'm not sure how many days I can hang knowing that I'm not going to get much done.

"The Focalin King"
Old 02-28-12, 04:10 PM

addsherpa will become famous soon enough

I come from a different perspective. I was put on the SSRI 5 years before my ADHD diagnosis.

There is no question that one drug affects the other drug. While they are suppose to act on different issues with the brain the evidence seems clear that there is a connection.

Please talk to your doctor. If you are not seeing a psychiatrist than I suggest you do as they know the meds better.

I think the part that is causing you the greatest "disability" should be treated first and then the other med added and adjusted to balance the 2.

It's very complicated. Dr Charles Parker has a bunch of videos discussing this.

Learn what you can and talk to your doctor.
Thomas Sowell

Last edited by BR549; 02-28-12 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: commercial link removed.
Old 02-28-12, 06:31 PM

Siouxshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by addsherpa View Post
I come from a different perspective. I was put on the SSRI 5 years before my ADHD diagnosis.

There is no question that one drug affects the other drug. While they are suppose to act on different issues with the brain the evidence seems clear that there is a connection.

Please talk to your doctor. If you are not seeing a psychiatrist than I suggest you do as they know the meds better.

I think the part that is causing you the greatest "disability" should be treated first and then the other med added and adjusted to balance the 2.

It's very complicated. Dr Charles Parker has a bunch of videos discussing this.

Learn what you can and talk to your doctor.

In my case it wasn't a case of the two drugs interacting badly. I was on the Effexor first, and I felt apathetic and spacier than I had ever felt in my life without a dopamine agonist in the mix. It was definitely just the SNRI.
Old 02-29-12, 06:04 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

I had this from Lexapro so it's just about finding the right one that works for you.
Old 03-27-12, 09:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

The Lexapro really messed me up! I was on 5-10mg for two weeks and while it eliminated all anxiety it virtually rendered my ADD meds ineffective. I was drinking 2 cups coffee on top of Adderall and still felt dull and sluggish.
Old 03-28-12, 01:07 PM

addsherpa will become famous soon enough

In checking for drug interactions at http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...-1013-565.html

or http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...-1013-565.html

It appears our doctors are not doing the job of warning us to the possible interactions. Ignorance is no excuse when these tools are so readily available. I watched my doctor pull out his Iphone and check on dosage but I don't think he checked for interactions.

I will be more careful in the future.

Let's check before we fill prescriptions and consult with the doctor. Many doctors use things off label and not everyone has the same reaction but we need to advocate for ourselves and our families. Knowledge is power.

Augie
Thomas Sowell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to addsherpa For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-13-12), speculative (08-31-12)
Old 04-10-12, 09:51 AM

I just read this regarding the interaction of ssri's and mph. It says that mph may inhibit ssri's metabolism. I guess that means that the ssri is more potent with ritalin. Well that sucks, so whats the solution.

"The Focalin King"