ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-10-05, 12:49 PM

frances is on a distinguished road
Desperately Need Help: Strattera Alternatives

I was diagnosed w/ ADHD when I was young and I am now 35. It wasnt until I graduated from college and was on my own that I decided to start taking meds. After trying alot of drugs (about 10 or 12, some for a few weeks others for a few years) Last six months, I took Strattera. It was incredible (I know meds have a diff. impact and diff side effects for each individual), I could concentrate, say what I was thinking, I was calm, didnt feel "drugged", all good and just one (major) side effect: sexual. Like others have experienced on this forum, I had "shrinkage" and a total lack of desire & performance. I had to stop taking it.
I am now trying to find out if there is any other drug that is similar to Strattera that I can try? I know it is an NRI (Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). I have prev had success and am back on Effexor (a SNRI, Seratonin/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors). It helps but it is not as good as Strattera. Im seeing two good doctor but am becoming frustrated that I can live and operate my life to the fullest w/ the right drug, but now I can not take it. Please help!
Old 08-10-05, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jackinbox is on a distinguished road
The closest thing to strattera is Reboxetine and it's also a NRI. It's available in Europe but not in USA. Effect seems to be similar to Strattera but you may react differently to it. Many web sites sell it but I don't know if it's possible to import it in USA.

You may give a try to Modafinil too. It work on norepinephrine too but you don't need to wait weeks to see if it works. An extended release version of it is in the process of approval for ADHD under the name Attenace.

Milnacipran is also a drug that affect both norepinephrine and seretonin (3:1 ratio). As far as I know, it's not yet available in USA but is in the process of approval for Fibromyalgia .

Mirtazapine is getting some attention for ADHD too because it affect norepinephrine as seretonin as well but as far as I know, studies are not conclusives.
Old 08-11-05, 10:49 AM

Marcus AZ is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean. I have experienced this "shrinkage" myself. Have you noteced that it's worse immediately after you take a pill? I take my pills in the morning and after lunch so by the time I go to bed or it's time to "fool around" everything seems normal by then. Maybe you should change the time you take it.
Old 10-01-13, 11:55 AM

Venielle is on a distinguished road
Re: Desperately Need Help: Strattera Alternatives

Hi, I realize this thread is pretty old, but here's my reply anyway in case it helps someone.

What about staying on Straterra but adding wellbutrin? It's sometimes used to counter sexual side effects from SSRI's and it's also good for attention though not as effective as the Straterra probably.