ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-05, 06:19 PM
Contributor

relvinnian has disabled reputation
Exclamation Whoa! My dog just ate my Adderall!!!

Just one 20mg XR, thank God!

I had it laying on the floor of my bedroom, and I was planning on taking it after I got out of the shower. Came back and it was gone! Not uncommon, I figured I just lost it. But then I started to think, my dog eats everything, maybe she ate it?

Sure enough 15 minutes later she started getting SUPER happy ! She's usually really laid back, and is sleeping this time of day, but not today. She's been pacing around in circles frantically, wagging her tail, running all over the house... non-stop for the past hour !

I called poison control because I was very worried (and still am a bit) . The guy I talked with was very knowledgeable and down to earth. He didn't expect anything bad to happen, but gave me a couple resources just in case. He described how she might react and what to look for, and recommended I let it run it's course. Just expect to have her bouncing off the walls all night, which is exactly what she's done! She hasn't slowed down for even a second.

Just a little note, be careful with your meds!

Wish us luck,

-Brian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to relvinnian For This Useful Post:
BohoButterfly (10-09-12), Fuzzy12 (10-09-12), SweetCode (10-09-12)
Old 08-12-05, 07:09 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 5,902 Times in 1,855 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why, but even as scary as this situation is, I can't stop laughing. I'm trying to picture one of my dogs bouncing off the walls. Always, always know where your meds are and keep them OUT of reach of children...and ummmm...apparently pets.

Good call on poison control.

I wish you and your canine companion a safe and restful night.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Old 08-12-05, 07:22 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi
I don't know why, but even as scary as this situation is, I can't stop laughing. I'm trying to picture one of my dogs bouncing off the walls. Always, always know where your meds are and keep them OUT of reach of children...and ummmm...apparently pets.

Good call on poison control.

I wish you and your canine companion a safe and restful night.
Yeah, I never really considered it. I just couldn't imagine a dog finding some interest in a pharmaceutical, but then again, some dogs eat poo, so I should have been more thoughtful.

She's still going strong although she's slowed down a bit. Just waiting for the XR to release its next "pulse" so I can relax thereafter. I have a feeling I'll look back on this and laugh. In fact, it's been hard not to chuckle a little, she's really cute right now. I just feel bad

Thanks for the kind words
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 07:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation
I've heard of "doggie downers" but not "doggie speeders" but then again, I don't get out much.

In the meantime, you might as well put it to good use....

Now that she's focused, have her think about where she hid all your socks and have her retrieve them.

Now that she is full of energy and running around the house, wrap some paper towels on her feet and let her help you clean up a little bit.

Now that she is wide awake, take her for that walk to the park that she is always too tired to go on.

Now that she is in a good mood, change her dog food to the cheaper brand.

Just a thought....

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to adhdxyz For This Useful Post:
BohoButterfly (10-09-12)
Old 08-12-05, 07:52 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lipz17 has a spectacular aura aboutLipz17 has a spectacular aura about
Im sorry I can not help to laugh a little,i could just imagine.I know how i feel on 20mg of adderall could you imagine a dog?LOL

Good luck and hopefully you can get some rest tonight!!!
Old 08-12-05, 07:57 PM
Contributor

Johna is on a distinguished road
Wonder if that will work for my cat. I swear all she does is eat, and sleep. Would lov to see her bounce off the walls
Old 08-12-05, 08:05 PM
Contributor

She's in a sorta compulsive phase right now. Still wagging her tail furiously, but she's been spinning in circles and pacing back and forth for about an hour now. I could never do that without getting dizzy and puking!
Old 08-12-05, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Sounds like an excuse you would hear in a Spec ed class; "Sorry I'm hyper today sir, the dog ate my Adderall".
The Following User Says Thank You to scuro For This Useful Post:
Ipsofacto (10-09-12)
Old 08-13-05, 01:39 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
Sounds like an excuse you would hear in a Spec ed class; "Sorry I'm hyper today sir, the dog ate my Adderall".
That's what I thought after I posted this

Here's an update. It's 1:30 am, about 8 hours have passed and she's finally slowed down. She sat down literally for the first time at around 12:30. She's slowed down enough to drink some water also, as she was foaming at the mouth a bit from dry mouth. She was way too excited to drink though.

She's still doing the pacing, but not in such a frenzied way. The past few hours I've done nothing but laugh at her, because I know she's fine now, and she's such a spaz! I figure in the next two hours she's be crashed out, and will be pretty wiped tomarrow. I'll add this experience to the ADD vault, along with the 1000s of others in there

G'nite ya'll, and thanks for laughin at me

-Brian
Old 08-13-05, 09:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation
Relvinnian,

As I took my 20 mg Adderall XR this morning, I thought about how your dog was doing. Is she back to being her old self (moody, crabby, bored and unmotivated?)

By the way....what kind of dog is she and how much does she weigh? Perhaps she can be the Adderall poster child on "Why someone shouldn't share their meds".

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein
Old 08-13-05, 11:57 AM
Contributor

BlessedLady has a spectacular aura aboutBlessedLady has a spectacular aura about
My doggie is the same way & I live in fear of this happening. Great idea on calling Poison Control, I don't know if I would have the courage cause with my luck I'd get some idiot. On the other hand my son eat everything he came across (none of his 5 sisters had his appetite for things you're not suppose to eat & 2 of then have ADD also)I had to call Poison Control when he ate deodorant & when he got into my nail polish & we thought he'd gotten some in his eyes....had to take him to the ER on that one but I ended up asking the dr if he was an intern, resident or janitor because he didn't even know how to hold a Wood's lamp ie ultra violet light. I learned how to use one when I was working with victims of Sexual Assualt. I took him to an Opthmologist the next day...Thank God he hadn't gotten any directly in his eyes.
BlessedLady
Old 08-13-05, 05:06 PM
Contributor

She's absolutely fine today, in fact she's even a little peppier than usual (which means she sleeps most of the time, but gets up and runs around occasionally ). She's a Sharpai, weighing in around 40 lbs. so she got about .5 mg/kg twice (since it's XR that's 10 mg x2). She's got a really cool personality, and she's an awesome guard dog.

Poison control even called back last night to see how she was doing. Very cool

I think she wants more! Every time I go up to my room she barges in and starts sniffing around the floor. She never did this before. Normally she just lays outside the doorway on guard duty, lol. I'm glad to have her back to normal.

Thanks for your concern
Old 08-13-05, 05:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
LOL, I think I would have called the vet instead, though! Dogs and humans have similar metabolisms, but there are certain things people can eat that will make dogs sick. Onions are one. Adderall, apparently is not. Glad this worked out.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 08-16-05, 12:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

onemoreyear is on a distinguished road
OMG...yeah, don't mean to make light of what could have been a serious situation, but that is pretty funny because I was JUST wondering what would happen if my dog took some of my adderall.

I've been trying all night to train her to roll over and she doesn't seem to care one bit...I was like...dang, my dog needs Adderall! But naw, I'd never do that, because even if she was acting okay, I'd be scared it was hurting her internally or something--there are so many things we can eat every day that can easily kill a dog (like ONIONS, for instance?!? isn't that unbelievable??)
Old 08-27-05, 03:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
You don't even want to know what I'm thinking...I have a Jack Russell Terrier..I wouldn't know the difference if he did...
Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood