ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Conduct Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-06, 06:58 PM
Contributor

mrs A will become famous soon enough
So does these symptoms need to be in all settings (school, home, social)? What if they are just at home?
Old 09-20-07, 03:20 PM

shay_brandy is on a distinguished road
well i am no professional but ODD has been killing my little family

for a while now adn from what i gather it needs to pretty much be an all the time uncontrollable disorder, but i have noticed because ODD is not treated with meds, its treated with parental education mainly....they can behave better with certain ppl, usually a parent or 1 parent and not the other because the parent to take the disciplining seriously and doesnt given in usually gets more respect from teh child.
Old 01-02-08, 12:28 PM

Kiwiana is on a distinguished road
Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Symptoms

Actually this disorder should not be under conduct disorder, it should have it's own subject heading. Conduct disorder is more serious usually presents or children are labelled this when their ODD hasn't been managed parents, by schools and other authorative figures who fling up their hands in powerlessness and declare them "CD".

So, how about moving it out of here. My first words on this forum.

I have a stepson who is ODD and was diagnosed at age seven. We use the 1-2-3-Magic program and it has worked very well in this family. Before that, we used the Positive Discipline for Pre-Schoolers, which had great advice on time-outs and how to do them among other things.

I have children aged 31, 27, 24 and then I moved in with my stepson and his father and twin sister. That's when I decided he wasn't your average kid at age 31/2 years. So, I went out and put the positive discipline book and spent time teaching this kid who was in charge and what was acceptable behavior and that time-outs started when he was quiet etc.

He is now 12 and our biggest issues are the schools and their attitudes toward his IEP and what they are willing to incorporate into his daily classroom challenges. When they are good, he is good enough.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-08, 08:34 PM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about

Yes, ODD can go from childhood to adulthood, and IS genetic. i know because i have ADHD, ODD, and IED. Both of my sons do also. As if just having one wasn't bad enough.
Old 02-18-08, 12:29 AM

lindsayok will become famous soon enough

My son who is 11 is ADHD and ODD. We spent 3 yrs in counseling, this did a world of good for him. He had a sever impulse disorder when he was younger. It didn't matter what I said to him I was always wrong and he was right. If I told him to do something he would do just the opposite just to spite me. So I started using Love and Logic with him. You can do this or this. It worked wonders. Giving him the choice to do the right thing or the wrong and suffer the consequences put him in charge and stopped the fighting. Now I can take him with me anywhere and he is better behaved than his 9 yr-old sister. I can ask him to do anything to help and I rarely get arguments. Another thing I did is put his dad and I on the same page. My husband originally did not want him on meds and would often let him have his way. One day I said either you let me deal with this my way or you deal with him from now on and deal with the schools, and when he get kicked out of school you stay home with him and you teach him so that he can get a job and not have to fight all the time. His dad quickly got on board and we have done great. He is bringing home bs and cs in school. Is he perfect no but what kid is? With out the diagnosis from his Dr. I couldn't have gotten him the help he needed or made the schools listen to me. As a teacher that was very frustrating, knowing what to do to fix the problem but with out a Dr. saying "He has ODD" I couldn't get the schools to listen to me.
Old 09-17-08, 02:27 AM

busygoddess has disabled reputation

My daughter has ODD, so I've done some research on it. Basically (from what I've read), a diagnosis of ODD can lead to a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder, which can lead to a diagnosis of Anitsocial Personality Disorder (Sociopath) as an adult. This is, of course, if something is not done about it as soon as possible. There is no medication for any of these conditions & no one guaranteed treatment, but therapy is neccesary if any progress is to made.
I know many people who think that a child diagnosed with ODD simply isn't disciplined by their parents. This is simply not true. It can, however, be caused by environmental factors (such as abuse). That's actually what caused my daughter's ODD (she was abused by her biological father).
Old 09-17-08, 03:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,483 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

..that's what they're calling it now? ...ha ha ha!

Syd Barrett
Old 09-17-08, 04:59 AM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Here's a web page with Frequently Asked Questions on ODD

To highlight one...

What happens when ODD youngsters become adults?

They can take their problems with them, causing difficulty in their relationships, marriage and work. The divorce rate, employment difficulties and the abuse of alcohol or drugs is usually higher in this population of young adults.

An excellent article on ODD can be found here.

According to Medline, "In a significant proportion of cases, the adult condition of conduct disorder can be traced back to the presence of oppositional defiant disorder in childhood. "

Many anti-social behaviors can sound like ODD, but that doesnt mean that they actually HAVE ODD, or Conduct Disorder. Only a medical professional can make that diagnosis.

^this. good links there. I had something similar to this when I was a kid. It's easy to misinterpret someone's motivations, by ascribing your own feelings to them, apparently. It's not that someone "deserved" to be harmed, but that harming them was for some reason beneficial to you, that makes for the problem.

Grudges are not the reason. Boredom, cruelty for kicks, or some more tangible reward are the reason. The other person's feelings don't enter into the equation and neither does "revenge", really.

those links and references arer really interesting, I'm interested in this thread. I wasn't helped much as a kid so it is good to see some parents that care and want to help their kid out with these problems (rather than just punishing and making no attempt to understand what's going on)
where do I start, where do I begin?
Old 04-02-09, 01:33 PM

Thomas_Swift is on a distinguished road

This is what I put together from self experiance. Hope it helps.

Data looking at adults and children with ADD & Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Definition

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), or social aggression, is
defined as a pattern of disobedient, negativistic, and provocative opposition to authority figures. More commonly seen in boys than girls, ODD can be diagnosed in children as young as 3 years of age.

Symptoms

The symptoms of ODD in children may include:
Temper tantrums
Continuous arguing
Defiance of rules
Doing the opposite of others or suggestions
Angry and resentful affect
Spiteful and vindictive behavior
Frequent use of obscene language

The symptoms of ODD in adults may include:
Frequent use of obscene language
Defiance of rules, regulations or laws
Doing the opposite of others or suggestions
Angry and resentful affect
Spiteful and vindictive behavior
Attends church or self help group being devious afterwards
Other self destructive behavior

Compiled from the internet & edited by Thomas A. Swift
Old 04-02-09, 02:31 PM

Wink Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Symptoms

Here is some possible insight from remembering what it was like when I was in school and exhibiting ODD behavior. A lot of my behavior I still can not explain however a large chunk of it I have managed to make some sense of. Because of my slowed development because of my ADHD chemical imbalance I was very impatient. So was the school and my parents. The special education teachers quickly disseminated my behavior as associated with being hyperactive. I till today find it very hard to sit down and read a regular book and I am now ADD. I was also incapable of absorbing the level of information that was being taught. I their for became very quickly board sitting their staring at a book which I had absolutely no interest in reading. Next thing I started doing was acting out in the classroom for self entertainment. Which that opened up a whole other hornets nest of not only being ridiculed by the school personnel but left me being singled out by other students as a weak link. I don't know that their was anyone who was to blame including myself. People with ADD & ADHD generally are also effected by some type of mental dysfunction such as dyslexia, dyscalculia or retardation due to their mental chemical imbalance. Fortunately many of us get to later outgrow these conditions. Sometimes like my self I will never have proper right brained functionality. Its the frustration with being mentally impaired and feelings of inadequacy with the rest of the world that leads to the rest of the ODD symptoms and usually a diagnosis of some kind of depression. Its really difficult to love society and your fellow man, let alone your self when society has set up road blocks at every turn for the mentally challenged person. You can call it ODD or simply rebellion. Rebellion against a world unfit for the mentally challenged individual. My best advice to all parents, teachers, and my fellow ADD'ers is work together to bring down the road blocks and take time to properly identify them. Sometimes the simplest solution is the actual answer. In other words if your not advancing back off give your self/student time to grow and have a go at it when your/they are ready.

Beating a young horse will never get you anywhere !
Old 04-02-09, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayok View Post
My son who is 11 is ADHD and ODD. We spent 3 yrs in counseling, this did a world of good for him. He had a sever impulse disorder when he was younger. It didn't matter what I said to him I was always wrong and he was right. If I told him to do something he would do just the opposite just to spite me. So I started using Love and Logic with him. You can do this or this. It worked wonders. Giving him the choice to do the right thing or the wrong and suffer the consequences put him in charge and stopped the fighting.
A++
The mentally challanged person will know way before anyone else if and when they are ready. Rather redirect your attentions to what they are ready for. You will be pleasently suprised to find out that learning is developmental process. The more a person learns in one area usualy will lead to advancing in other areas. As anyone with a physical or mental impairment changes or controls need to be put into place to create a controlled atmosphere that will allow conditions feesable to function in.

Last edited by Thomas_Swift; 04-02-09 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Aditions needed
Old 04-02-09, 10:44 PM

ODLS1 will become famous soon enough

Haha, a few years ago my dad insisted I had this, simply because he would tell me to do a chore like 5 times rapid-fire in a minute, and if it I wasn't doing it in a minute I was defying him and everything. He was like "I've told you 5 times to do it and you havn't!" and I was like "Yea, 5 times in 60 seconds, give me a minute." I'll admit I didn't jump at his requests, but I think he made it worse by telling me so many times in such short amount of time. When people do that, it makes me not want to do whatever it is.

Other than that, I showed no signs really. When I was younger I lost my temper a lot, but I was a nice shy kid overall.

Once again my "omniscient" dad (or so he thought) was wrong. That's all, carry on.
Old 04-05-09, 10:32 PM

Thanked 10,154 Times in 3,192 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

There's empirical support for ADHD contributing to and likely causing ODD.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 04-07-09, 05:02 PM
Contributor

ADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the rough

I have ADHD, but the first time I saw my doctor I was diagnosed with ODD. I started on Concerta, and as the ADHD got better so did the ODD. In the next few appointments, I lost my label of ODD. As the hyperactivity and impulsivity were treated, my ODD symptoms slowly went away because I wasn't impulsively talking back, trying to seek revenge, arguing, doing the opposite of what I was told just for fun, or hyperactively on purpose trying to annoy people. My doctor told me that ODD is curable, which I believe, because I lost my label almost as quickly as I got it. As far as I know I am no longer diagnosed with ODD...
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDKylee For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (04-11-09)
Old 11-20-09, 09:25 AM
Jr Member

7yrsapart is on a distinguished road

Soooo, dummy this down for me. My son shows signs of ODD and have just began counseling for him with anger problems and attitude problems. Does medicine help with ODD or is it more of a parenting issue that I need to do? I am a single mom and his dad shows no signs of helping. Our son has a terrible behavior problem at school and has been in In School Suspension several times this year. I'm stern...I do not reward bad behavior, ie, throwing desks, shoes, stomping feet when he is told no.