ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Conduct Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-09, 11:27 PM
Jr Member

Makeit1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Symptoms

I'm suspended from school for the fifth time this year, and im off for a week cause I was arguing with the head master and such, suspended for refusing to write my name when I did ? haha It would seem I have this but when I argue with teachers or school officials its cause I feel like their wrong and im right. My doctor just said something about this ODD, defiant disorder or something.
Old 11-22-09, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,130 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

When a doctor tells the patient it is ok to use cannabis for pain, then the patient uses less cannabis (than prior use) because it isn't forbiden.
Old 11-25-09, 06:22 AM

Legault is on a distinguished road

Reading this thread I must say that I very likely have this. It is just...really fun for me to be an 'agent of chaos', basically I tend to oppose certain things just for the sake of opposing them, I can also be quite the social engineer and have caused problems for myself and others by doing so. If this is a conduct disorder then I have it...it's controllable, no doubt, but sometimes I don't realize that I'm doing or saying something totally ignorant - I just don't care enough to measure absolutely everything I do, like most people with problems like this I would simply adopt a fitting philosophical/psychological outlook in an attempt to try and warrant such behavior. There is a sort of fierce satisfaction I get out of battling and 'winning' and some part of me honestly finds this disturbing, while my other 'side' does present itself and it absolutely relishes it's ability to cause havoc. If I didn't have any morals at all I would be a serious liability to society.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 06:04 PM

swiper is on a distinguished road

Hi,Im Sarah (just joined this site today) and my son has got ODD,ADHD and Aspergust (sp), we finally got the diagnoses in Sept 09, Connor has been given Medication and started taking them on New years eve but we are trying to get the dosage right as its really affecting his sleeping.

Connor has been known to be defiant at school than at home and has had detention a few times due to him totally refusung to do any work. Ive got good support from his school and they know how to handle his little ways.
Old 02-15-10, 04:59 PM

Thomas_Swift is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yrsapart View Post
Soooo, dummy this down for me. My son shows signs of ODD and have just began counseling for him with anger problems and attitude problems. Does medicine help with ODD or is it more of a parenting issue that I need to do? I am a single mom and his dad shows no signs of helping. Our son has a terrible behavior problem at school and has been in In School Suspension several times this year. I'm stern...I do not reward bad behavior, ie, throwing desks, shoes, stomping feet when he is told no.
Seems more like to me eather he is not ready for the ciriculem or else he is highly board with it, and their for acting out. I think it would be very important for you to identify which problem he is encountering so it can be delt with apropriatly. If he is not absorbing the ciriculem you may concider home schooling at lower levels untill his brain has had a few years to further develope. You cant amagin how hatefull people look when they are demanding you do somthing your brain is just not capable of deeling with. I was doing exactly the same crap. I wound upbeing passed out of every grade of elimentry school with all failing F's. I simply couldnt concentrate on work that I wasnt absorbing. I hated teachers, my parents and above all myself because it was after all me that wasnt working right. So I basicly started hating the whole world and figured they all could go blank their selves. After that I didnt care who I screwed with, after all nobody liked me anyways. After this point ODD behavior was all I had left. It was entertaining to give back all this agravation everyone else seemed to want to dump in my lap. I still till today feel much the same way at times.

Last edited by Thomas_Swift; 02-15-10 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 03-26-10, 01:09 PM
Banned

Deanne65 is on a distinguished road

If you introduce poisons into your child's body then perhaps you have taken the moral low ground. As with many other putative childhood disorders, there is the heavy reliance on behavioral rating scales which, in short, is a means of measuring the displeasure of the "behavior raters". Personal feelings aside, I can empathize with your perceived dilemma, but not the "therapeutic" outcome! After any medical issues have been ruled out as the cause of your child's disruptive behavior (communication), you will certainly have to confront the morally implicative nature of drugging your child into conformity and docility! It is surprising what children will tell you, if you truly listen with your heart!
Old 03-26-10, 01:54 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

I have ODD and, in my case, it went on to manifest as a personality disorder. It's not easy admitting that you get pleasure from harming others, to them or yourself.
Old 03-26-10, 01:54 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,055 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute

Moderator Note:
Quote:
*Please be respectful to one another. People come from all different backgrounds and many have different ideas and views on different issues.

Just a reminder from our ettiquette guidelines.
A parent is not necessarily taking the "moral low ground" for choosing to handle their child's diagnosis with medication. It is a legitimate option, and we encourage education on this forum on both sides of the issue, if desired. While there are very strong opinions for or against medication, it is important to remember that parents are just trying to do the best they can. It is not a character flaw to choose one over the other. To put a legitimate question on the defensive like this is an injustice to education and the persuit of understanding and knowledge. We can share our concerns/opinions without assuming the worst about the parent/guardian.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EYEFORGOT For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-26-10), APSJ (03-26-10), Dizfriz (03-26-10), Lady Lark (03-26-10)
Old 03-26-10, 02:30 PM
Banned

Unhappy Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareacc View Post
I have ODD and, in my case, it went on to manifest as a personality disorder. It's not easy admitting that you get pleasure from harming others, to them or yourself.
Well, certainly as the normative nature of psych labels would have it, you certainly did manifest problems later on in life. However, your life took you on a different path, but the same psychiatric scrutiny followed along this trajectory. So you continued to be a problem for others, through your words and deeds. How is one to measure such ameliorative affects of "therapy", when there are no standards to start with? Of course, those who have committed themselves to the medico-scientific "validity" of medicalizing the moral might appear less equivocal of such respective "therapeutic" aims and outcomes. If one medicalizes one's problems in living (the moral and the social), then one has certainly cracked more than just a few eggs to make his omelette.
Old 03-26-10, 02:52 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

i actually have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Why do you have such an inability to clearly make a point? You need to work on that.
ADHDTigger (03-26-10), Dizfriz (03-26-10), meadd823 (03-27-10), peripatetic (04-02-10)
Old 03-26-10, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanne65 View Post
If you introduce poisons into your child's body then perhaps you have taken the moral low ground
I am going to have to take exception to this. First can you identify the poisons involved and back up that description? This is an extremely strong and judgmental statement and I am really curious how you would support it.

Quote:
After any medical issues have been ruled out as the cause of your child's disruptive behavior (communication), you will certainly have to confront the morally implicative nature of drugging your child into conformity and docility!
"Drugging your child into comformity and docility!". Again very strong and judgmental. I would be quite interested in how you would back this statement up.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-26-10), meadd823 (03-27-10)
Old 03-26-10, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEFORGOT View Post
Moderator Note:

Just a reminder from our ettiquette guidelines.
A parent is not necessarily taking the "moral low ground" for choosing to handle their child's diagnosis with medication. It is a legitimate option, and we encourage education on this forum on both sides of the issue, if desired. While there are very strong opinions for or against medication, it is important to remember that parents are just trying to do the best they can. It is not a character flaw to choose one over the other. To put a legitimate question on the defensive like this is an injustice to education and the persuit of understanding and knowledge. We can share our concerns/opinions without assuming the worst about the parent/guardian.
{edited by Moderator; do not discuss Moderator actions on public forum. Put them in a PM} The message might have been better served in the passive voice; and there would have been no misconstruels. What possible level of privileged knowledge and expertise does the mental health worker assume in delivering what is best for the child's self interest (I am sure that this will be some collaborative effort, by therapeutic standards)? What about the mother's assuming a little moral agency for her relationship? What of self-determination, for herself and her child's needs? I am not quite sure where credulity and moral backsliding are so perilously close, one to the other.
Is there some gold standard to be sought after? The first moral misstep is in automatically coming to a conclusion that our secular "soul doctors" are the moral arbiters!

Last edited by EYEFORGOT; 03-27-10 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 03-26-10, 06:42 PM
Banned

First off, an apology is in order to the parent who is obviously troubled and concerned for her child. The message intended might have been better served, had the passive voice been used. The parent obviously has herself in for a penny in for a pound, with the child already having been "diagnosed" with an conduct "disorder". Again, there is a disservice being paid to medicine, when mental health professionals refuse to eschew those pseudo-medical blandishments, aimed at shielding the practitioner, and likewise, serving as an excuse for the many therapeutic misadventures; a occupational hazard, if you will.
I suppose there might be a co-morbid disorder, or two, which might be all the better to indeed coercively poison the child. Again, the child causes considerable displeasure, and what is then the collective response? This treatment for the child's disorder will perforce require excuses and their coercions. The very notion that we are dealing with a medical issue, is as fanciful as thinking that that power doesn't have anything to do with bending and shaping the wayward child. This is typical of the left-leaning, statist approach to enlarging the scope of medical authority; it is no wonder that I have been the subject of many epithets concerning my state of mind; how ironic, deploying such base rhetoric, as that of the "disease" of mental illness as the slur!
Old 03-26-10, 06:55 PM
Contributor

I hereby take the opportunity to remind everybody of the "ignore list" function available on this forum... It is there to be used.
ADHDTigger (03-26-10), Dizfriz (03-27-10), meadd823 (03-27-10), novagal (03-26-10)
Old 03-27-10, 06:01 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have received an infraction because I told a parent-who voluntarily chose to share her story-that she might perhaps be taking the moral low ground in addressing a child's "defiant" personality in such amoral terms, as in, "therapeutizing" the problem.
A parent came here for support not to be judged . . .

No one came here for moral guidance,no one wants moral guidance

I know for a fact no one came here to be told by a stranger their problems do not exist -

Your post are less than supportive but luckily by the time most are done reading what you write well let just say

Your moralizing is lobotomizing . . . . . . . really!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 03-27-10 at 06:18 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-27-10), Dizfriz (03-27-10), EYEFORGOT (03-27-10), peripatetic (04-09-10)