ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-05, 03:45 AM
LittleD1981's Avatar
LittleD1981 LittleD1981 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LittleD1981 is on a distinguished road
Where's the positive?

I've read so many times that there are positive attributes to ADHD. I can't seem to find them. Is it just me???

I currently take Adderall XR, and it works great for focus and restlessness, but I still have the ever-present problems of lack of motivation, boredom, frustration, low self-esteem, and hopelessness.

I will plan so many things in my head for each day, mainly dealing with getting my house clean, but I can never seem to accomplish even a quarter of what I set out to do. Heck, most of the time I don't even accomplish anything!

I'm just so frustrated and fed up. I know that starting is the hardest part, but even when I do give myself that BIG push and get started I end up only working on something for several minutes before I'm bored and set off to do something that I WANT to do.

Luckily, I don't have a job right now. I don't know how much of a failure I would be at that! If I can't even keep up with my small apartment, how could I handle a job?

I checked out flylady.net, but I can't even seem to follow their simple daily routines. Everything feels like it takes a tremendous amount of effort, which I just can't seem to muster up the motivation for.

I don't know, I guess I'm just rambling. I just feel alone and like my life is nothing but one big negative mess.
__________________
Dana

"Dana is making good academic progress at this time. She needs to settle down, listen better, and be neater at all times."--comment from kindergarten teacher

"Dana is doing well academically. Socially she needs to settle down and worry about herself more and others less."--comment from 1st grade teacher
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleD1981 For This Useful Post:
alwayscrazy (11-02-08)
  #2  
Old 09-29-05, 09:39 AM
karennerak's Avatar
karennerak karennerak is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 231
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
karennerak is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD1981
I've read so many times that there are positive attributes to ADHD. I can't seem to find them. Is it just me???

I currently take Adderall XR, and it works great for focus and restlessness, but I still have the ever-present problems of lack of motivation, boredom, frustration, low self-esteem, and hopelessness.

I will plan so many things in my head for each day, mainly dealing with getting my house clean, but I can never seem to accomplish even a quarter of what I set out to do. Heck, most of the time I don't even accomplish anything!

I'm just so frustrated and fed up. I know that starting is the hardest part, but even when I do give myself that BIG push and get started I end up only working on something for several minutes before I'm bored and set off to do something that I WANT to do.

Luckily, I don't have a job right now. I don't know how much of a failure I would be at that! If I can't even keep up with my small apartment, how could I handle a job?

I checked out flylady.net, but I can't even seem to follow their simple daily routines. Everything feels like it takes a tremendous amount of effort, which I just can't seem to muster up the motivation for.

I don't know, I guess I'm just rambling. I just feel alone and like my life is nothing but one big negative mess.
Dana .... You're not alone ;
Quote:
lack of motivation, boredom, frustration, low self-esteem, and hopelessness
If it wasn't for the fact, i've got 5 Needy Dependant children, ranging from the ages of 5 to 16 years of age, i would have less motivation than i do have!

I have a reason for getting up, for washing, eating, washing clothes, shopping for groceries and clothes... Infact, everything i do, is motivated by the needs of My 5 Children.

I know, without them, i wouldn't bother to get out of bed, until the afternoon and i wouldn't go out shopping for healthy groceries, i wouldn't eat anything that was healthy, i would probably go back to smoking cigarettes and my home would be more of a mess, than it is already LOL
I wouldn't be able to keep down a job and Bills wouldn't get paid.

My Motivation is the Children... Everything i do, i do for them!
I lack self esteem ; I had a terrible childhood, inflicted with unmentionable pain, mentally, physically and sexually.

My ADHD has caused All my closest Relationships to fall apart and i have no-one to call a friend... except for my new Partner

I was only diagnosed with ADHD August 15th 2005(yes...This year at the ripe age of 41).
I've grown up,with a feeling of being Different, yet there was nothing visible to see.... Oh except my 'Naughty' behavior!
I failed at school and haven't kept a job for long (Lack of concentration/boredom/redundant/Depression).

Nothing really good has happened in My Life...

Unloving Parents, that Divorced when i was young (It's a shame they ever met!)
My Children? (3 diagnosed with ADHD and Conducts Disorder and two yet to be diagnosed ; One with ADD? and the other ADHD!).
A marriage that Failed!
Friends come... then go!
Love came and went!
Watching my Children go through depression and learning difficulties and trouble with the police.
As a family, we're not accepted where we live, due to the stigma of ADHD (Naughty Children and Bad parenting).
I have No social life... other than Shopping... Oooo and My B/f (But he lives too many miles from me).


What have i got to be Happy about?

I have two legs to walk with..
Two arms to hold my children with...
My sense of hearing, so i can hear my Children laugh...
My Eyesight to watch the the seasons colours...
My sense of smell.. to smell beautiful perfume and flowers...
My Sense of touch.. to stroke a pet.. oh how relaxing that is!
My sense of taste, so i can enjoy great tasting food(chinese for one).
My sense of belonging... I have children who depend on me and a Dad and partner,that Loves/cares for me.
My sense of Worth... I'm not perfect, but i have great Empathy and i will/do help fellow humans and animals.
My sense of Humour... I like to be the cause of Smiles and laughter!
My sense of knowing (1) When to stop talking and Listen
My sense of Direction... I can go forwards and sideways and try so hard, not to go backwards!
My sense of Achievement... I may not have degrees, or certificates, but i believe, i have achieved to help others, get through their lives a little easier, than if i wasn't there,to help them!
My sense of Fore-thought... No crystal ball is needed... just be thoughtful towards others, it's amazing how much pleasure comes from helping others find their way forward.
My sense of knowing (2).... That Life is what you make it and if the elderly man with two amputated legs, sitting in his wheelchair, at the same restaurant as me yesterday, was laughing and enjoying his Life...
Then damn it, i deserve to enjoy mine too!

Dana, i don't know the right words,to help you achieve, what you want to in life ; I don't know You, but i know how you feel.

For Years i have felt like giving in, with every broken relationship, i've coiled up into a tight spring ready to bounce back... a tougher person?

I've been through so much in my life.. I could sit here and cry, but it wont do me an awful lot of good, feeling sorry for myself.

I decided to get myself out of a rut and go forward ; Getting Diagnosed with ADHD was my first Goal and getting Treatment was my second goal...

My third goal is to get the dosage of My treatment right for me...
Perhaps your Psychiatrist ought to look closer at your treatment and give it a tweek (Perhaps you need some anti-depressants?) ; I take anti-depressants ; I have suffered with Depression for 10 years and i'm now diagnosed with Chronic Depression.

My Goals in life are reachable ; One step at a time!

I brought a dustbin bag up to My bedroom yesterday, with the intention of cleaning my room ; There are too many piles of stuff, to walk around now!! LOL

Dana, i hope you are still reading this post, as it's just for You... I'm trying to make it easy for you to read and understand me ; I've spent the time to tell you about myself, to help you to learn about yourself...

Write down of the list of POSITIVE Senses You have, just as i did further up this post...
There are so many more, than you first realize....

The sense of breathing, means i'm alive... and If i'm alive, then i'm living!
Some babies are born to mothers and they don't get to take a breathe...
Live Your life in Memory of others that are not here to do it for themselves.

No... I'm not religious!...
I'm grateful, for Small mercys and HOPE.

Hugs Karen

Turn a Negative into something Positive.. You can do it Dana!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If i've strayed from the thread..
I'm Sorry ; It's Just My ADDer way!



Karen
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karennerak For This Useful Post:
JollyBadger (11-02-08)
  #3  
Old 09-29-05, 11:03 AM
luvmi3kids's Avatar
luvmi3kids luvmi3kids is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
luvmi3kids is on a distinguished road
Dana, I'm right there with you, too, girl. I was diagnosed officially last fall, after I had my 3rd baby and the ADHD was keeping me from being able to cope with working full time and being a mom and lack of sleep and all that. I had known I had it for some time, but I had never sought any kind of treatment for it. I'm on Adderal XR too. Before that, he put me on Strattera. I had to give up nursing my baby early (8 months) because I was afraid of what it might do to him, and I didn't want to take any chances. That hurt. Then the Strattera only made me depressed and took away all motivation I had. The Adderall gives me a little more motivation and energy, and so I am able to get myself through the day a little better. But it hasn't made everything ADHD go away, and it has done nothing for the depression.

I read a book, "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy" about ADHD. In it, they talk about going through the stages of greif after you've been diagnosed. One of the stages is "Anger". At the time, I thought, "Well, this doesn't pertain to me, because I've known I've had ADD for years, I just hadn't gotten diagnosed."

But something that my Psychiatrist said while he was testing me keeps running through my mind. He said, "It's too bad your parents didn't get you some treatment while you were young. You could have grown up to be President or something." He was big on blaming parents. Kept insisting that one of my parents has ADD, and if I'd just think about it, I could figure it out. I don't really think so, and told him that. I think that I may have had an uncle or two with it, and learning disabilities and other problems of the sort run in my father's family, but I never saw any sign of either of my parents being ADD or even understanding ADD.

So, why am I angry? Because I look at my life and see how it is screwed up, and see that my ADHD had a h___ of a lot to do with screwing it up, and I get angry because I know I am capable of doing better! I'm 36. I have all these big dreams that take, like, a Master's Degree and years of hard work to accomplish. I have a husband and three kids and a full-time job and a mortgage and two car payments. In 4 years, I will have to send my oldest son to college so he can have his dreams. My time is gone. My ship has sailed. I don't care what people say about, "It's never too late to go back" because IT IS!!!!! And it doesn't matter who my shrink wants to blame, because it all boils down to the fact that I have had ADHD my entire life, and no one, not my parents, not my school system, not my pediatrician, and not myself, did anything to teach me any coping skills or help me overcome it. And now that I'm 36, it's too late.

I don't live in an area where there is a college nearby that offers what I need. I can't communte an hour or more because I have to work. I can't take off work because we can't afford for me to not work. And I definately can't go live in a dorm! LOL I can take computer classes online, and have looked into it, but again, it's finding what I need and then being able to pay for them. And I have started and stopped college 3 times, have changed majors about double that many times, and already have student loans to pay back.

So, like you, Karen, I get up everyday for my kids. I go to work, put a smile on my face, eat my heart out, because I know that I've got the best job I can get with my education, and I'm paying the bills. I have my health, I have three wonderful children, one with Asperger's Syndrome, one who probably has ADHD, and one who's a baby and cute and funny and lights up my life! (They all three do, but the baby, oooooh, he's a comedian!) My hubby loves me, for some strange reason. I have a brain, I can think. I'm doing better than a lot of people, especially for someone who has "special needs" LOL. I'm here. So I get up, dust myself off, and go through my day. (((hugs))) to you too, Karen.

But, I'm angry. And I don't know how to make the anger go away. Sometime I will move into "acceptance". I wish it would hurry up and get here.
__________________
I Could Have Done So Many Things, Baby, If I Could Only Stop My Mind. . . The Eagles, "Wasted Time"

My crazy life as I know it
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 09-29-05, 11:15 AM
Bob1951 Bob1951 is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD1981
I've read so many times that there are positive attributes to ADHD. I can't seem to find them. Is it just me???
That is a very interesting question. My first reaction was, "how can anything be good about a disorder." As I thought about it my logic proved buggy. I'll write out my observations and let's see if we can reach a reasonable conclusion.

Most if not all people with ADHD have many strengths some of which they developed because of dealing with ADHD, others strengths they would have developed anyway.

Sometimes making the best of bad circumstances lead to exciting discoveries and insights. Stephan Hawkins is an example. He was gifted before ALS but never come up with any break-through concepts until after being confined to a wheelchair. It is entirely possible no one outside of his immediate sphere would know of him if he did not have the disease.

There are at least two members of this board (probably many more) that excel in stimulation rich jobs. Both jobs, police and pilot, can cause more stimulation than is comfortable. But these guys come alive in those situations. When others get tense, they get calm enabling them to think quickly and clearly. Take away the stimulation then they can't think clearly but others can.

Our brains have lots of redundancy to protect us against system failure. I'm not sure of the server system this board uses, but it in all probability, we would not notice a cpu or hard drive failure because a backup component immediately takes over. Our brains can in essence do the same thing but with a difference. If it is a fact that our frontal input/output lobes are fried, another part of the brain is compensating. I'll bet my last nickel the "backup" parts are more specialized toward creative thinking.

We learn work-arounds that seem to make us more effecient. One of mine is to learn backwards. I must get the big picture first. When I study a complex technical book, I speed read it first. I don't worry about the details. I simply want to understand how the parts fit together. Then I'll go back and hang the details on the right hangers. Many times it appears as if I learned quicker than fully functional folks. On the contrary, my study method *discovery* is well known and advocated by educators. My *problem* is I am forced into using what is optional for others.

Yeah, there are benefits to having ADHD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-05, 11:19 AM
karennerak's Avatar
karennerak karennerak is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 231
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
karennerak is on a distinguished road
Arrow

((((Hugs to You too luvmi3kids))))

I sense a lot of Frustration in Your Post luvmi3kids and i know that feeling too!

Quote:
And now that I'm 36, it's too late.
But hey gal, it's Not too late for You!... You just need to change your direction slightly...

Ok so you feel it's too late for IT.. i can understand that...
I never learnt to drive.. I'm 41 now and i feel it's too late to learn?

But.... If i get my Medication Doses sorted out and i'm able to concentrate enough, who knows, my B/F might teach me to drive One day?

Don't give up on Everything luvmi3kids... just alter course a bit.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If i've strayed from the thread..
I'm Sorry ; It's Just My ADDer way!



Karen
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-05, 11:43 AM
Cliff Cliff is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cliff has disabled reputation
Hey I have ADD and can relate to the low motivation part of things, but what I have learnt is that for me to get motivated I need someone to get motivated for, which in my case is my wife and kids. The other problem I have is exercise which I must do as a group, because alone I am all jacked up for about a week before it dies.

The talk about not coping with ordinary problems at home, well I don't think it is a problem. It's just difficult to organise your house and store everything in it's place if there is no one to do it for or get you motivated.

What is good about ADD?
Well I use to be a cop before doing this job and where other people froze when faced with dangerous situations I shone like a torch. I was able to think clearly and exceptionally fast without having any emotion.

I can also deal with complex problems more easily than normal people, since I can't get a problem out of my head unless I understand it and from what I have read ADD'ers can solve complex problems more easily than normal people. I can also grasp difficult concepts more easily and find like myself that most ADD'ers know alot about all sorts of interesting things, but ask me who played where in what sport and I am lost.

Do I think it is good to have ADD then NO, but is there advantages, YES. The trick is to find someone to watch and drive you. At gym get a trainer or a partner at home get somebody who gets you to clean. (Although this really bugs me, but things get done.)
At work you won't have a problem, since you boss is the driving force.

The one thing you might think of is to let things go and dream, But if you are like me you'll feel empty like something is missing. Hard work makes you feel better like your'e getting some where.

Try what have you got to loose?


Cliff
__________________
CLIFF
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-05, 12:31 PM
FightingBoredom FightingBoredom is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
Posts: 2,110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD1981
I've read so many times that there are positive attributes to ADHD. I can't seem to find them. Is it just me???
I currently take Adderall XR, and it works great for focus and restlessness, but I still have the ever-present problems of lack of motivation, boredom, frustration, low self-esteem, and hopelessness.
I will plan so many things in my head for each day, mainly dealing with getting my house clean, but I can never seem to accomplish even a quarter of what I set out to do. Heck, most of the time I don't even accomplish anything!
I'm just so frustrated and fed up. I know that starting is the hardest part, but even when I do give myself that BIG push and get started I end up only working on something for several minutes before I'm bored and set off to do something that I WANT to do.
Luckily, I don't have a job right now. I don't know how much of a failure I would be at that! If I can't even keep up with my small apartment, how could I handle a job?
I checked out flylady.net, but I can't even seem to follow their simple daily routines. Everything feels like it takes a tremendous amount of effort, which I just can't seem to muster up the motivation for.
I don't know, I guess I'm just rambling. I just feel alone and like my life is nothing but one big negative mess.
Dana, you are definitely not alone! You are in the same mental state that many of us ADDers either start from when we find out we've "got it" or we even end up in that state after having a very successful run of things and something seemingly yanks the rug out from under us.

Venting and rambling here are two requirements for membership.

The ODD thing about motivation is that it actually comes from ACTION.
For an ADDer that can be preplexing because we already know 10,000 things we could take action on....and with that list it seems like we need some rocket fueled motivation to even get started on it....which creates a catch-22 situation.
Gotta get started on it to get motivated..but I need some motivation to get started on it. ARGH!

Something that I have done that works really well is this:
Pick ONE thing...one SMALL thing to do EVERY day for 3 weeks. That's it!
Just make sure that you do that ONE thing every single day for 3 weeks.
I know, that leaves 9,999 other things out there that aren't being juggled. So what? Most of them will wait.

Do you want to know how this works so you know what to do after 3 weeks?


How it works is this:
1. Based on research into human behavior it is KNOWN that it takes 21 days to create or change a habit. That's one reason you do that one thing for 3 weeks. You might get a habit out of it.

2. When you pick something small it is easier to accomplish and when it is done you receive the same self esteem boost you would if it were a bigger thing.

3. If you blow it, which even happens to non-ADDers, you have blown it on a little thing that has a much smaller negative impact on your self esteem than if you blew it on some bigger more important thing.

4. It is common to miss a day the first couple of time you do this. So, all you do is start counting the 21 days from when you start doing it again. This becomes a manageable task that even if you drop the ball you know you just pick it up again and work on it for 21 days. Again, keeps your self esteem on the upswing.

5. Once you have completed one small thing for 21 days you pick something else and do that for 21 days....and what you'll find is that these little things that you are focused on are what fuel your motivation to start dealing with the other things that are bigger.

I learned and used this method LONG before I was diagnosed with ADD. I still use it. Hey, there have been times when the small thing I practiced for 21 days was just getting out of bed in the morning.
It all depends on where you are in life.

Holy Crud I almost forgot the other thing I was going to say! (I know, you're thinking "this guy has MORE to say after THAT long post?")

Try to find someone who will help you or coach you through this process. What if you had someone who would just touch base with you every day from 21 days for the sole purpose of checking to see if you remembered to do that ONE thing?
It might seem a little childish but let's face it....we're ADDer's....most of our lives ARE childish...that can be a positive if you let it.

So, this coaching thing would look like this: you get a call, they ask you if you did your 21 day thing today, if you did, they say, FANTASTIC!, I'll talk to you tomorrow. If you say no, they stay on the phone while you get it done. Then they say FANTASTIC! I'll talk to you tomorrow.
That's it. No chit chat, nothing. Just that.

The bottom line is that in early childhood most people learn how to build this regimented sort of approach to getting things done and it creates connections in your brain that make this method an almost automatic response to life. ADDers aren't most people. We usually don't develop these connections and automatic responses to life without a lot of forced work in that direction.

GOOD NEWS: It gets better and it gets better really fast because once an ADDer gets rolling we can accomplish anything in a fraction of the time it takes a non-ADDer.
OK OK, enough is enough....I'll go write my novel somewhere else now!
__________________
I realized that
we exist in human form
purely to amuse
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!



And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!


Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-05, 12:53 PM
timh's Avatar
timh timh is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northeast, Ohio
Posts: 618
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD1981
I currently take Adderall XR, and it works great for focus and restlessness, but I still have the ever-present problems of lack of motivation, boredom, frustration, low self-esteem, and hopelessness.

I will plan so many things in my head for each day, mainly dealing with getting my house clean, but I can never seem to accomplish even a quarter of what I set out to do. Heck, most of the time I don't even accomplish anything!

I'm just so frustrated and fed up. I know that starting is the hardest part, but even when I do give myself that BIG push and get started I end up only working on something for several minutes before I'm bored and set off to do something that I WANT to do.
So sorry you are feeling this way. I am gald you are experiencing some relief with your current medication. I think the medicine is doing what it is supposed to do. Unfortunately, it is not meant to improve motivation, frustration, self-esteem, and hopelessness. These are things that need to be done by you. If you are experiencing these feelings of hopelessness, please talk with your doctor. They may be signs of depression. Since you have chosen to take medication, adding an anti-depressant to your treatment might help you out of this rut.

If you are still bouncing from task to task, maybe you need to adjust your Adderall XR dosage. It sounds like you are still experiencing distraction. You mentioned that you plan your day in your head. Try writing down those items in a small notebook. Don't make the list too long or you will never get it done and then you will still feel like you didn't accomplish anything. Another good reason to put it in a notebook is you'll be able to look back at your accomplishments. This will hopefully help your low self-esteem and motivation.

I have been where you are and I can tell you it is possible to overcome, but it is going to take time, repetition and work on your part.

Overall, talk to you doctor about these exact same things.

As far as the positives, there are a lot. Just try a search on this site.

Good luck and keep us posted.
__________________
Tim

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-05, 02:34 PM
Bob1951 Bob1951 is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingBoredom
Dana,
Something that I have done that works really well is this:
Pick ONE thing...one SMALL thing to do EVERY day for 3 weeks. That's it!
Just make sure that you do that ONE thing every single day for 3 weeks.

How it works is this:
1. Based on research into human behavior it is KNOWN that it takes 21 days to create or change a habit. That's one reason you do that one thing for 3 weeks. You might get a habit out of it.
Dana,

I just want to do an "Amen" on FightingBoredom's tactic. If has worked for me also. I cannot think of any ADD startegy that has actually worked that is anything but simple.

Pick one thing that you know will take you closer to some longed-for but never realized goal. The patterns (habits, if you will) we develope determine whether we realize our dreams.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-05, 02:49 PM
pith30 pith30 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
pith30 has disabled reputation
The positive is in the challenge. Yes the whole spectrum of my mental disorders gets me down and yes i wish i knew earlyer what the hell was wrong with me as a kid but it is the little advances that we make despite our problems that make us unique and beautiful, not to mention intuitve and survivors. One little step everyday and i am satisfied, I have to be or i would just be proving all those people who told me that i was screwed up all my life that they are right. There not, I win.
Pith
__________________
Beatnik, Punk, Writer...I am Becoming
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-29-05, 02:58 PM
Scattered's Avatar
Scattered Scattered is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,399
Thanks: 228
Thanked 299 Times in 155 Posts
Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD1981
Luckily, I don't have a job right now. I don't know how much of a failure I would be at that! If I can't even keep up with my small apartment, how could I handle a job?
I'm sorry you're feeling so discouraged right now -- I do identify with that feeling. I have a terrible time with housework and on the rare occasions I can pull it together, it never stays that way for long. One thought though that I wanted to share.

When I was working as an elementary teacher, going to school to get my counseling degree, doing an internship for several hours every evening at the local community mental health center, and keeping up an acre of lawn and a home -- things were quite different. I don't know if it was the mental stimulation of doing things I loved, or the structure of having some many things to do that I just had to keep moving, but my house actually looked pretty good most of the time (of course this was before kids). We're all different, so I don't know if this would be true for you or not, but sometimes ADHDers need a little fire held under our tails to get us moving. I tend to have two speeds -- park and full speed ahead and not much in the middle. I think my current problem is that I am understimulated mentally and under scheduled, so I put off doing things and according to Dr. Barkley, ADHD folks don't do better when given more time, because we don't sense time in the same way as others do -- we'll typically just procrastinate more. It's almost as if a little urgency is needed in our lives.

I don't know if this helps or not, but there are good things about ADHD. It doesn't seem to be a very good fit for me as a stay at home mom, but when I was doing personal growth workshops and going from school to school working with kids and teachers, I was flying high and pressurized! You just have to find what lights your fire! (And my guess is that it will never be housework -- maybe someday you'll find a job you love and get someone else to do the housework! ).

Take gentle care!
Scattered
__________________
ADHD Books and Tapes: www.addwarehouse.com; www.specialneeds.com
ADHD Online Articles: www.schwablearning.org ;www.allkindsofminds.com
ADHD Coaching & Classes: www.addclasses.com

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-05, 03:30 PM
Shakedown1979 Shakedown1979 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the suburbs
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shakedown1979 has disabled reputation
I owe my career to having ADHD symptoms. It's been extremely positive for me, it's allowed me to be seen here as some kind of guru, because I always see things very differently than the textbook theory drones I work with, and have a much better track record as a result.

I do all the things you are all beating yourselves up for, and worse. I procrastinate, argue with people when I'm bored, get into weird moods, walk around the office because I can't sit still for more than 2 minutes, and every other classic thing ADHD people are supposed to do. Thing is I work in investment analysis, and the partners here are always looking for creative ideas, and have hired too many MBAs who present the same textbook analyses. I don't pay any attention to textbook formulas and rules, which is largely the result of having ADHD, and come up with unusual, creative approaches to finding good investments. I am on a different wavelength than everyone here, and the partners like that, because they've invested thousands of training dollars in getting analysts to think more originally, none of which has had to be spent on my frantic brain.

There are people here who went to CalTech, MIT, and are ten times smarter than I am. But they are now working under me, because my track record with investments is much better than theirs.

Important thing is I refuse to take medication, even though my office is embarassingly messy and my cleaning lady won't go into some of the rooms in my house. If I medicated, I could lose the creative edge I get from having a different outlook.

Most ADD/ADHD people I know do extraordinarily well when they can be creative at work, and develop their own way of doing things. I think part of the problem is being in the wrong profession. I'm great at math, but no way you'll ever see me doing accounting, because it's just applying someone else's rules, and is better done by a non-ADDer who craves order and structure.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-05, 07:59 PM
LittleD1981's Avatar
LittleD1981 LittleD1981 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LittleD1981 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't have all that long right now to respond, since I'm at my sister's house (my computer decided to die this morning...ARGH!!!! It won't start up and says it's missing needed files. ), but I did want you to know that I read all your replies.

I'm 24 and don't have kids, although I really want some. I just love kids, and I'm sure they'd be a great motivator. Currently I have 3 cats and 2 rats, and I'm grateful to wake up to them every morning.

My pdoc doesn't want to put me back on an anti-depressant because he said it's "too stimulating." I'm also diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I take Abilify and Lamictal along with the Adderall XR. The Lamictal does help some with the depression. I actually just got out of a partial psychiatric hospital program this past Tuesday. I went for 2 months M-F, from 9am-3pm. I initially went in because I was depressed, then it was mild depression on and off for awhile and now I'm stable. Yay!

FightingBoredom, your suggestion is a good one. I do make it my goal everyday to get at least ONE small thing done, no matter what it is. Yesterday, I folded some laundry that had been sitting in the basket for a couple weeks...LOL. Yay! Today, I'm doing laundry at my sister's, and I have a goal of FOLDING IT AS SOON AS I GET HOME. We'll see if I can stick with it...lol.

I'm tired and am finding it hard to think right now, but one positive thing that I can come up with is that I'm intelligent. So "they" say. EVERYONE tells me that, from people I know very well, to people that have only known me for a couple weeks. I've been told it my entire life, so it must be true.

BTW, I like a lot of you guys' signatures. When, if ever, I get my computer fixed, I'll have to put in a comment made by my 1st grade teacher on my report card. Something along the lines of, "Academically, Dana is doing really well, but socially she needs to settle down, do less talking, and focus on herself more and others less."

Anyway, thanks again! Hopefully I can check back in in a couple days. My city library is currently under renovation, so that is out of the question as well...ARGH!
__________________
Dana

"Dana is making good academic progress at this time. She needs to settle down, listen better, and be neater at all times."--comment from kindergarten teacher

"Dana is doing well academically. Socially she needs to settle down and worry about herself more and others less."--comment from 1st grade teacher
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-05, 08:21 PM
FightingBoredom FightingBoredom is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
Posts: 2,110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Dana, There are a lot of geeks on this forum if you need some tips on how to get your system back up.
From your description it sounds like you just need to do a windows "repair" from the windows CD. That is..if you are running windows 2000 or XP.
Those are the only operating systems that I know of that will crash with "missing files" as the problem.
__________________
I realized that
we exist in human form
purely to amuse
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!



And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!


Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-30-05, 01:36 AM
cameron cameron is offline
Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
cameron has a spectacular aura aboutcameron has a spectacular aura about
nice post karennerek...and very true!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Positive Reinforcement Meadd Behavior Modification 15 12-01-06 12:55 PM
News article on raising positive awareness of ADD/HD Nova General ADD Talk 0 10-19-05 03:20 PM
Positive Quotes on ADD/HD Nova General ADD Talk 10 10-07-05 02:01 AM
The Positive Side of ADHD Nova General ADD Talk 6 10-03-05 10:02 PM
Let us be more POSITIVE in our lives ADDitives Hangout 16 04-03-05 10:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums