ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-28-18, 06:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,591 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Paralyzing fear due to procrastination- lack of ability to take action

So here goes..I have been afraid to post this because I feel like such a loser disappointment. So I signed up for this class that is a pre-requisite for a enrollment in the teaching program and I am way behind. The truth of the matter is, becca came home for 4 days and it was chaos trying to get her into a recovery house and absolutely unbearable having her home due to worry and getting to know who she is now. I felt like a constant babysitter. I also had a terrible fall with a bad injury. Part of it is because I do not understand this online learning thing...There is this portal called 'blackboard' with all these things to do like discussion boards and modules and I feel so obsolete( I would be willing to give a trust worthy person my log in info if they are able to take a look at stuff and help me with it). I had emailed the teacher the first week of the class and not only havent read her response but completely forgot I did. Now I am so afraid.

I am afraid to read what she said. I am afraid to log in. I am afraid to see what I missed. I feel like a failure already. I did do all the reading for the first module but I do not even know how to proceed. I was thinking of emailing the teacher and telling her what happened and finding out if there is any sort of redemption. I am not worried about catching up on the work as far as understanding it but I seriously do not know how to proceed. I am soooo afraid. I am a brave person and have taken on so many scarier things but this feels like the worst.
Did I set myself up for failure? I am a secret self sabotager? I do not know. I know I need electronic hand holding from someone who has experience with this to help me figure out how to proceed.
I am serious about having help from someone here who is trust worthy- I am that desperate. I want to know if emailing the teacher and being honest will help. I can buckle down and catch up but I am afraid all is lost. I have never felt so cowardly- and low. I really do not know what to do. If any one can help me please let me know. I will take all the support (emotionally and literally) I can get.

xxxooo
-sweets

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (10-28-18), lisariver (10-28-18)
Old 10-28-18, 06:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,519 Times in 11,543 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paralyzing fear due to procrastination- lack of ability to take action

I would never be able to take an online class.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 10-28-18, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

feels like you have a pretty big support group here so maybe you can hold that in your heart as you proceed to step 1 and read the email, that will diffuse a lot of paralyzing fear and from there, you will get more support to take the step after that. You're not alone. Also, from what I understand, schools are supposed to have people that help with these things, maybe you could get that help too. Don't give up, if it's something you really want. Remember it's a one foot in front of the other thing, one step at a time...you don't have to do it all at once and keep asking for help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-18, 01:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I don't know if this will be super helpful, but I can relate to a lot the anxiety/procrastination (falling behind, trying to decide what to tell the teacher, afraid to check email, feeling like a complete failure, etc).

I don't think you are a coward or a self-saboteur. You're not a NT person, and you can't shame yourself into changing that aspect of yourself. What you can do is to change the environment to accommodate your neurological wiring (i.e. designating someone who can regularly check up on you, like a friend, family member, paid coach, etc).
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-28-18)
Old 12-04-18, 05:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,591 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd let everyone know that I had to withdraw from the class. I had all my observation hours set up and then jake had his stroke and I had to cancel them. The teacher is very good though and told me that I would be welcome to come back when things calm down. I havent told jake yet because I do not want him to feel bad. I am going to find out when the next class comes up so I can re-enroll in it again.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-04-18), Rebelyell (12-06-18), stef (12-10-18)
Old 12-04-18, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

That's totally understandable. Your son comes has to come first right now I hope it turns out as well as possible! He's so young and it seems so sad to have to face something like that. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-04-18)
Old 12-08-18, 12:05 PM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

It already seemed like you had so much on your plate even before your son. Completely understandable to put your son first now. I'm glad you had the observations lined up and feel comfortable with reenrolling.

I hope everything goes well for you, your son, and your entire family.
Old 12-09-18, 11:55 PM

Thanked 1,575 Times in 870 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you knew how to navigate Blackboard like an expert, there were important family things going on that took precedence over any classwork. I'm glad that you will be able to start again at a later time.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
stef (12-10-18)