ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-10, 11:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road
Re: Asperger's Disorder Symptoms

Could I have asperger's...

I have difficult looking people in their eyes...
I have difficulty communicating to people, and my facial/body expressions are always strange
I have a desire to communicate, but more for the reason of fitting and pressure from others..(people asking why I dont talk and me then me wondering why) not because I really want to communicate for the sake of communicating.
I type fine, and I think I probably talk better on the phone.
I have a few people that I know well and communicate well with.
I dont have any ticks or repeated motor movements..that I know of.

I was diagnosed with adhd in junior high...(because i was the class clown and got in fights alot- which I'd attribute to not being able to communicate with people.)
I was diagnosed with depression in highschool, moved to add(depressions meds weren't working so we decided to try that diagnosis=/...helped some) and then I decided to tackle my anxiety(buspirone was one of the most effective medicines I have tried this far and plan to try it again..side effects made me quit last time- I never took benzo's consistently just when I really needed them), and now add(again no formal diagnosis) but the meds aren't as effective as buspirone..(just hate waiting a month for it to work again..)
Old 04-13-10, 11:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

also i've been called/considered clumsy forever
for the most part I am mono tone
I am pretty repetitive in my routines but not extremely so like I would think an aspergers or autistic person would be

correcting my last post in regards to repetitive movements...i constantly scratch my chin as if im thinking whether I am or not as well as covering my mouth and rubbing my head (not all at the same time or in combinations lol)
Old 04-16-10, 01:31 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to get a better answer for this out of the experts

http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums.html
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-10, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,671 Times in 5,248 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandletdie View Post
also i've been called/considered clumsy forever
for the most part I am mono tone
I am pretty repetitive in my routines but not extremely so like I would think an aspergers or autistic person would be

correcting my last post in regards to repetitive movements...i constantly scratch my chin as if im thinking whether I am or not as well as covering my mouth and rubbing my head (not all at the same time or in combinations lol)
sounds like add and social anxiety

anyone with these to would pass an aspergers quiz
Old 04-16-10, 05:56 AM

Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
sounds like add and social anxiety

anyone with these to would pass an aspergers quiz
Not any part of that sounded like social anxiety. They didn't even mention social situations.

Being clumsy is a part of poor motor skills which is common in AS.
So is having a monotone voice.
The last part sounded like stims.
Old 04-16-10, 05:59 AM

fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could I have asperger's...

I have difficult looking people in their eyes...
I have difficulty communicating to people, and my facial/body expressions are always strange
I have a desire to communicate, but more for the reason of fitting and pressure from others..(people asking why I dont talk and me then me wondering why) not because I really want to communicate for the sake of communicating.
I type fine, and I think I probably talk better on the phone.
I have a few people that I know well and communicate well with.
I dont have any ticks or repeated motor movements..that I know of.

I was diagnosed with adhd in junior high...(because i was the class clown and got in fights alot- which I'd attribute to not being able to communicate with people.)
I was diagnosed with depression in highschool, moved to add(depressions meds weren't working so we decided to try that diagnosis=/...helped some) and then I decided to tackle my anxiety(buspirone was one of the most effective medicines I have tried this far and plan to try it again..side effects made me quit last time- I never took benzo's consistently just when I really needed them), and now add(again no formal diagnosis) but the meds aren't as effective as buspirone..(just hate waiting a month for it to work again..)
Lack of interest in others is a more classically autistic trait, which could mean high functioning autism than AS. Although both conditions have even more in common than AS and ADD, so it's hard to tell. Both will be merged in two years and be called autistic disorder so it doesn't really matter.
Although there are some people with AS that do want friends and try really hard to fit in.
I'm of the lack of interest variety though.
Old 04-16-10, 06:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

Actually all of those symptoms relate to adhd too.
Someone asked about toe-walking? It's not specifically related...it's an indication of developmental problems, it's one of the red flags that are looked for.
As for people not being diagnosed until they're older, my son was diagnosed at 4, he was in pre-school and being bullied by a little sh*t and the teacher was too stupid to realise what was going on. This escalated his anxiety, he started perimeter running, flapping, all the usual stuff. He was diagnosed very quickly and easily, he's textbook. He's now 7 and I give thanks every day for his early diagnosis, he's already had 3 years of intervention that has made a world of difference. He spends all day, every day playing lego, and god protect the idiot that interrupts him!
Old 04-16-10, 07:25 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
Not any part of that sounded like social anxiety. They didn't even mention social situations.

Being clumsy is a part of poor motor skills which is common in AS.
So is having a monotone voice.
The last part sounded like stims.
sure it did, reread it

lack of eye contact, awkward communication = SA
Old 04-16-10, 07:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

what do you guys think of this video?

I can relate a ton...

Also do all aspergers have the line underneath their eyes like he is talking about and as others said/had on youtube. (I know, not the greatest reference but I just wanted to see how aspergers people behave/think/look) I have the lines and have had them for as long as I can remember

Also i draw alot, and most of the time my drawings are patern oriented.
Old 04-16-10, 09:47 PM

Quote:
sure it did, reread it

lack of eye contact, awkward communication = SA
Can also be Asperger's syndrome. Social anxiety is more about fear and worrying what people think of you, AS without SA isn't like that but eye contact isn't something naturally done and awkwardness can be interpreted in many ways. Just because a person looks away and talks in a monologue with an odd sitting position and are moving their fingers/hands/arms repetitively doesn't mean they have social anxiety.
I've had social anxiety. I used to freeze up and have rushing thoughts while around a group of people and have anxiety attacks. But when that went away the social problems didn't go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter77 View Post
Actually all of those symptoms relate to adhd too.
Someone asked about toe-walking? It's not specifically related...it's an indication of developmental problems, it's one of the red flags that are looked for.
As for people not being diagnosed until they're older, my son was diagnosed at 4, he was in pre-school and being bullied by a little sh*t and the teacher was too stupid to realise what was going on. This escalated his anxiety, he started perimeter running, flapping, all the usual stuff. He was diagnosed very quickly and easily, he's textbook. He's now 7 and I give thanks every day for his early diagnosis, he's already had 3 years of intervention that has made a world of difference. He spends all day, every day playing lego, and god protect the idiot that interrupts him!
For me toe-walking is about sensory issues. Do not want to touch the icky ground with my bare feet.

I had noticeable signs when I was an infant too, mind an infant in the late 1980's, one parent a Hindu, the other a Christian so they weren't really into doctors, thought my dad did want to go to med school once but he was barely around to notice my differences.

What I did have, however was the regression. From happy laughing baby to this uninterested quiet child that wouldn't speak but wailed really loudly when I was upset. So that's a clear sign of autism/AS even if I was capable of speaking.

Quote:

what do you guys think of this video?

I can relate a ton...

Also do all aspergers have the line underneath their eyes like he is talking about and as others said/had on youtube. (I know, not the greatest reference but I just wanted to see how aspergers people behave/think/look) I have the lines and have had them for as long as I can remember

Also i draw alot, and most of the time my drawings are patern oriented.
In have bags under my eyes too. I have this constant tired look.

The guy in the video didn't look like other people with AS. I know you can't tell if someone has that has it, but there are physical signs. I mean I don't look as normal as that guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
poppetx (10-14-17)
Old 04-18-10, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
Can also be Asperger's syndrome. Social anxiety is more about fear and worrying what people think of you, AS without SA isn't like that but eye contact isn't something naturally done and awkwardness can be interpreted in many ways. Just because a person looks away and talks in a monologue with an odd sitting position and are moving their fingers/hands/arms repetitively doesn't mean they have social anxiety.
I've had social anxiety. I used to freeze up and have rushing thoughts while around a group of people and have anxiety attacks. But when that went away the social problems didn't go away.

For me toe-walking is about sensory issues. Do not want to touch the icky ground with my bare feet.

I had noticeable signs when I was an infant too, mind an infant in the late 1980's, one parent a Hindu, the other a Christian so they weren't really into doctors, thought my dad did want to go to med school once but he was barely around to notice my differences.

What I did have, however was the regression. From happy laughing baby to this uninterested quiet child that wouldn't speak but wailed really loudly when I was upset. So that's a clear sign of autism/AS even if I was capable of speaking.

In have bags under my eyes too. I have this constant tired look.

The guy in the video didn't look like other people with AS. I know you can't tell if someone has that has it, but there are physical signs. I mean I don't look as normal as that guy.

point taken, but it also doesnt make them autistic

i had these issues and they have come and gone with various meds

in turn disproving the autistic theory in my case

and with alcohol, again disproving it with my case

but thats just me, and i know how it is to fit yourself into symptoms
Old 04-19-10, 06:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
point taken, but it also doesnt make them autistic

i had these issues and they have come and gone with various meds

in turn disproving the autistic theory in my case

and with alcohol, again disproving it with my case

but thats just me, and i know how it is to fit yourself into symptoms
So if alcahol or opiates can make a person more social that means they do not have aspergers or high functioning autism?

While not always, alcahol and/or opiates can make me more social than without. Though I'm still not going to approach people I do not know unless I'm really drunk. Benzo's didn't really seem to have that effect on me- while I did not feel anxiety as much when I took them, I also did not communicate better or feel more inclined to do so.

How do stimulants effect aspergers or HFA? (To those that have been diagnosed) Or any medications for that matter?
Old 04-20-10, 06:58 PM

Quote:
So if alcahol or opiates can make a person more social that means they do not have aspergers or high functioning autism?

While not always, alcahol and/or opiates can make me more social than without. Though I'm still not going to approach people I do not know unless I'm really drunk. Benzo's didn't really seem to have that effect on me- while I did not feel anxiety as much when I took them, I also did not communicate better or feel more inclined to do so.

How do stimulants effect aspergers or HFA? (To those that have been diagnosed) Or any medications for that matter?
for me social akwardness went away with alcohol and some pysch meds and i was fine in social settings

autism people dont know how, alcoho; meds or not
Old 04-20-10, 08:27 PM

Quote:
No.
Alcohol just makes people with AS more comfortable in social situations, but they still haven't got any greater social skills. My god, do I ever say and do such embarrassing things when I'm like that. It's good way to cope in social situations though.

God, around here I'm getting the impression that many think of AS as social no-hopes. It does get better with practice. Alcohol and anti-anxiety meds do help, but do not erase the AS completely. It took away my obsessional behaviour, which I didn't like, although I'm slowly getting it back now.
Old 04-21-10, 01:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

starting a new doc on thursday

going to re-evaluate my diagnosis, ask about aspergers and add-I

never really fit into the adhd mold imo..

fit a little more into the add-I profile (had not known about it until I found this forum)

I found out about aspergers a couple years ago but never really researched it that well until now and from what I know about it currently it would explain alot if indeed I do have it

if I were to diagnose myself today I'd say I have aspergers with add-i
*though its usually a bad thing to diagnosis yourself in my experience, doctors seem to hate when I do.

also on the alcohol/opiate note i do not become better at socializing either but am more comfortable being in such situations