ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-11, 09:01 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about
Re: Asperger's Disorder Symptoms

Is it treatable? I'm going to a party with a dude who has Aspergers and ADD, I have ADD so this might be fun.....never met the guy before so good to know what I'm in for.
Old 07-27-11, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
Is it treatable? I'm going to a party with a dude who has Aspergers and ADD, I have ADD so this might be fun.....never met the guy before so good to know what I'm in for.
I have Aspergers and ADHD. I'm a lot of fun!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 09-29-11, 09:50 AM

jskisses will become famous soon enough

Can I jump in here and ask if any of those who are dx'd Aspie have a sense of humor? Or maybe it's a sense of just being really witty?

I have an 11 year old who is waiting to be evaluated for Aspergers. We were referred after recent neuropsych testing which was brought on by feeling like we just didn't have all the answers yet. We've been working on his 'issues' since before kindergarten and once we get to understand one dx, it seems another pops up.

So far, he's been diagnosed with:
-ADHD, combined type
-GAD (anxiety disorder) with panic attacks
-SPD (sensory processing)
-EFD (executive function)
-expressive language disorder
-fine motor delays

and on top of it all, he's been referred to as gifted as he's a pretty smart cookie. His IQ falls high average but they said he'd likely test higher if he could focus better. On and they say he's extremely rigid in his ideas/plans, and there were several mentions of controlling behaviors.

After the neuropsych appt. the doc mentioned that she wasn't sure about the possible aspie dx b/c he's very witty and while obsessed with his Lego's (I had to laugh at the older post on here about God help whoever comes between the kid and the legos!) he can switch gears from time to time. Of course we're on a waiting list to go any further with the dx process, but in the meantime, he still doesn't respond to his ADD meds as well as he should, nor his anxiety meds, in fact, his anxieties are making life kind of miserable a lot of the time. Plus, the executive function stuff...he doesn't hold a thought long enough to follow through on it so any therapies we do regarding this aren't really sticking, yk?

So that's a long background/question. I have ADD too and ran out of meds so get a bit wordy sometimes!

The 'red lights' that make us think Aspie are his lack of social skills, rigidity and slight obsessiveness in topics of his interest, his inability to see someone else's point of view, etc. Yet he's got some witty comebacks and observations, and he can be the sweetest thing when someone is sad or down. We recently got a confirmed dx on my niece and her intellectual disabilities and my son piped up and asked if she'd ever be able to drive a car, the answer is highly unlikely, so he said to tell her no worries, he'll take her wherever she needs to go, and when he buys a house, he'll get one with an apartment in it so she'll always have someone to live with that loves her. In that way, he's so wise beyond his years!!!

Any input from those who have dx or have loved one's who do?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-11, 01:09 PM

kb7500 is on a distinguished road

I looked at some of the tests on the first post and did them.

Aspie score:73, NT Score 118. But I am an Extream Systemizing with an Emotional IQ of 72. I already know I have very bad EQ. Did not know what it was called until a few hours ago.

My doctor diagnosed me with ADHD 2 weeks ago.

are they directly related? could ADHD not be what is really wrong? What kind of help can I get?

I start my first therapy session on Oct 11th.
Old 09-29-11, 05:17 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,494 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

I think they are all part of a bigger picture and can be genetic, i have two adopted from the same family,one adhd one Aspergers .Jules
Old 12-30-11, 03:43 PM
Jr Member

NyraLunaEXE is on a distinguished road

My sister has it, and I have some. :/

~Take Your Thoughts Captive~
Old 01-02-12, 06:36 PM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskisses View Post
Can I jump in here and ask if any of those who are dx'd Aspie have a sense of humor? Or maybe it's a sense of just being really witty?

I have an 11 year old who is waiting to be evaluated for Aspergers. We were referred after recent neuropsych testing which was brought on by feeling like we just didn't have all the answers yet. We've been working on his 'issues' since before kindergarten and once we get to understand one dx, it seems another pops up.

-ADHD, combined type
-fine motor delays

and on top of it all, he's been referred to as gifted as he's a pretty smart cookie. His IQ falls high average but they said he'd likely test higher if he could focus better. On and they say he's extremely rigid in his ideas/plans, and there were several mentions of controlling behaviors.

After the neuropsych appt. the doc mentioned that she wasn't sure about the possible aspie dx b/c he's very witty and while obsessed with his Lego's (I had to laugh at the older post on here about God help whoever comes between the kid and the legos!) he can switch gears from time to time. Of course we're on a waiting list to go any further with the dx process, but in the meantime, he still doesn't respond to his ADD meds as well as he should, nor his anxiety meds, in fact, his anxieties are making life kind of miserable a lot of the time. Plus, the executive function stuff...he doesn't hold a thought long enough to follow through on it so any therapies we do regarding this aren't really sticking, yk?

So that's a long background/question. I have ADD too and ran out of meds so get a bit wordy sometimes!

The 'red lights' that make us think Aspie are his lack of social skills, rigidity and slight obsessiveness in topics of his interest, his inability to see someone else's point of view, etc. Yet he's got some witty comebacks and observations, and he can be the sweetest thing when someone is sad or down. We recently got a confirmed dx on my niece and her intellectual disabilities and my son piped up and asked if she'd ever be able to drive a car, the answer is highly unlikely, so he said to tell her no worries, he'll take her wherever she needs to go, and when he buys a house, he'll get one with an apartment in it so she'll always have someone to live with that loves her. In that way, he's so wise beyond his years!!!

As a kid I barely talked until the moment of complete silence where I'd break it by saying something witty and have my brother and sister in stitches.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (01-28-12)
Old 01-02-12, 08:58 PM

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskisses View Post

-ADHD, combined type
-fine motor delays

Who says autistics can't be witty?! Pretty ignorant of your dr. if you ask me! Part of the reason a lot of autistics are witty and insightful is that they can think outside the box. I think you need to meet some more autistic peeps!

One of our forum members here is a writer for various sites....tambourine_man, read some of his blogs and it will help you get a more well rounded picture of people on the spectrum.

He actually just posted his articles from the past year on facebook...it's nice to have them all in one place.

https://www.facebook.com/scotty.holm...s/685691542177

This one is a good one to start...but they are all really funny and insightful!

http://blog.autismspeaks.org/2011/09...my-money-back/
Old 01-16-12, 09:19 PM
Jr Member

my4swtzn04 is on a distinguished road
Re: All in the family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
One of the differences between autism and asperger's disorder is the age of onset. That is, asperger's may not be apparent in an individual until they are past the age of 4 or so, and in some cases older. Everything I've read says you can't diagnose aspergers earlier than age 4.
But autism can be diagnosed earlier because the delays are apparent at an earlier age.

ME
My son (13) was dx at 5 and his neurologist said that before the age of 4 that they can not make the dx of Aspergers because it would just be PDD or Autism Spectrum. Aspergers children have normal language skills just have other autistic traits. HTH
Old 01-23-12, 12:40 AM

Pansie has a spectacular aura aboutPansie has a spectacular aura about

I know my ADD confused my diagnosis - to me anyway. I would get to the part about repetitive behavour and routines and say no, I can't do routines. But it wasn't until i wrote down a lot of observations about myself for my psych for my ADD diagnosis that she told me to research AS. It was then I realised that when it comes to some things I freak out if they change and I like to find out about everything before I go somewhere so I know what to expect, and my special interest is so well ordered and cross referenced beyond belief. So even though I can't do routine or plan things small parts of my life are very ordered. Since the diagnosis I've noticed so much more about myself that fits. So if you don't think you fit the criteria, it may be that the ADD won't make it an obvious diagnosis. My 2 sons are diagnosed ADHD/ASD and ADHD/AS and there seems to be a bit of it in the family, and now I see how similar I am to my ADHD/AS boy. I believe ADHD is somewhere on the autistic spectrum and think it's only a matter of time before a link will be made.
Old 01-25-12, 06:09 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,494 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

It is part on the triad ,
my adopted son has severe ADHD and i adopted his bioligical sister ten years his junior,when i started having problems i thought maybe it could be adhd but after 3 years of testing she has a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome,i was told all mimic one another but it takes a proffesional to say what it really is.
Good Luck jules
Old 01-27-12, 12:12 AM

fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is a part of ADHD. Similar areas of the brain are affected. A lot of people with ASDs have OCD but I don't, nor have I had to deal with severe depression, nor do I have Bipolar.

It's like migraines and epilepsy: similar symptoms, can have both but the causes are different.

Next year autism will not be on a broad spectrum but range in severity. The APA aren't going to be thrilled if a doctor finds a link between ASD and ADHD.
Old 02-11-12, 06:22 PM

adhdvsaspi is on a distinguished road

Can you tell me the differences between Autism and Aspbergers my son was just diagnosed aspbergers. And my nephew was Autistic he has all the aspbergers symptoms.
Old 02-23-12, 05:34 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

My nephew has been seeing doctors for a few years now and non of them seem to follow through with an actual diagnosis, this is also due to his Dad, my brother, not being very good at remembering to schedule his appointments (undiagnosed ADHD in denial for sure!)
He has symptoms of both ADHD and Aspergers.. he walks on his tip toes and flaps his hands sometimes.. he has been able to play computer games better than most people from age 4, he does things he repeatedly despite being told not to every 5 minutes, he is very difficult to understand when he speaks and it took him a long time to even speak, his teachers at school don't know what to do with him.. Kids tell him to punch the girls so he does it, but he actually has a heart of gold. He is the first to share when he has anything, even lollies, he is so gentle with babies and animals and i can't help but love him when he does things that are so funny but he has no idea why we're all laughing.
He came home from school one day with a note in his bag from his teacher, it went something like thsi: "Hi Shaun, William bought some chocolates at the fathers day stall for you, we explained to him that he had to put them in his bag and take them home to give you on the weekend. We made sure he understood what we were saying and we repeated it to him. Unfortunately he snuck in at recess and ate the chocolates. I explained to him that this was the wrong thing to do but you may want to speak with him about it further"

Poor little dear, he loves to get into things he shouldnt and i don't quite think he understands the consequences. People think he's naughty, but i believe he just isn't able to process things the same way as the rest of us.

He does things that you wouldn't expect either.
He came up to me with a key one day at a family BBQ, i asked him where he got it and he explained that he'd gone to his Dad's car (without anyone knowing mind you), got a screwdriver, climbed into a tree out the back, and unscrewed a screw that was holding a spare spare key in. No one told him there was a key in there and he didn't ask for help the entire time.

He's also used a screwdriver to completely dismantle his sisters bike before anyone else woke up one morning

And last but not least, he has the memory of a hawke. Staying at my house none night, he had a really close connection with one of my friends.. quite rare for him, he's usually shy until he knows people but he jumped straight onto him. Said friend promised he'd bring lego around for him to play with the next day. 6am i'm woken up by a 5 year old climbing on me saying, "we play lego now?" Unfortunately said friend wasn't able to come good on his promise and every time William comes to my house, he asks about the lego. HAHA.

He is definitely a special little guy and i hope he gets a diagnosis soon so he can get the help he needs to be the best he can be.
The Following User Says Thank You to eeilyk For This Useful Post:
BR549 (02-23-12)
Old 02-25-12, 07:25 PM

But but...you can't hit girls. It just doesn't happen.

Damn those kids for taking advantage of your nephew.

He does sound like he could be on the spectrum. Toe walking isn't really much of a symptom. I only do that doe sensory reasons. Anyone with sensitivity to touch could do it. However, hand flapping does sound like one.