ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 10-08-05, 09:51 PM

greendaysum182 is on a distinguished road
Does ADD/ADHD ever "go away"?

I'm sure all of us know about some people believeing that ADD/ADHD goes away when puberty starts. I don't think this is true. I think that if you have ADD and the symptoms are no longer there you have found ways to get around the symptoms enough to make it seem like you no longer have it. What do you think? Does it go away like some people claim or does it stay with you forever?
Old 10-08-05, 10:12 PM

Thanked 8,721 Times in 2,705 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
There has been some research to suggest that some hyperactivity symptoms go away by adolescence.

If I remember correctly it was something like 35%.

Anecdotally, I've personally never seen too much of it.
However,that doesn't mean those data aren't correct.

It's an excellent question and I hope that there's more ongoing research that continues to look at it.

If there were some reason(s) behind that that went beyond individual differences, then that would be important information.

Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 10-08-05, 10:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
It's something I wondered about.

If your ADHD disappeared in puberty, then did you truly ever have ADHD? From what I've read ADHD people's brains are 'wired' differently, and it doesn't seem like something that you should be able to grow out of.

Some people say that ordinary hyperactive kids are often labelled ADHD when they aren't, and I wonder if that's what accounts for the "grow out of it" phenomenon.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-05, 10:59 PM

Some would say that it really doesn't go away in its entirity.
Old 10-08-05, 11:01 PM

greendaysum182 is on a distinguished road
If you truly had ADD/ADHD then it would continue into adulthood, like we have recently discovered. Mental disorders never go away, they stay with you for life. Being on medication for life is another topic entirely. Anyway, I just wanted to see what everything thought about this.
Old 10-08-05, 11:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

lostdog65 will become famous soon enough
Greenday...

I remember "mellowing" for lack of a better term in my early to mid 20's. I just attributed it to getting married and settling down. What I realize now is that I had built up several defense mechanisms to function in public and they were taking hold around that time. I also discovered my metabolism changed around 22-23 years of age as I put on a good 20 pounds. Around that time my hyperactivity seemed to decrease as well. I didn't 'have' to fidget all the time, just some of the time. :-)

Now, at 40, I can look back and see where the defense mechanisms broke down and where I had built up new ones. I can also see the ADHD never went away. I just changed, subconsciously, how I reacted and dealt with it...

Just my 2 cents...

Eric

Old 10-08-05, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
In my own personal life, no.
Stress enhances my hyperactivity, and my 'jumbled/scattered thoughts' immensely..It's just that I forget I'm stressed, while being stressed...and unless there is someone objective, who is around me, who grounds me, I won't realize my actions or statements as being so heightened...
Of course stress is subjective..so whatever stresses me out, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a stressor for someone else..
Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 10-09-05, 12:01 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
In my own personal life, no.
Stress enhances my hyperactivity, and my 'jumbled/scattered thoughts' immensely..
If one were to substitute the word "stimulation" for "stress" . . .

Phaedrus

Old 10-09-05, 01:55 AM
Contributor

bythesea has disabled reputation
what about contexts?

I've been wondering about contexts. I think I read somewhere that there may be situations that seem to bring out the ADD traits more for a person (and I don't know if those conditions/contexts would be same for everyone or every type).

I've thought about this because it was only when returning to school, where I had to work with deadlines more and had a more erratic, less structured schedule (no longer 8-5 everyday), and not a regular paycheck that behaviors that had seemed to be more dormant (or at least not spiraling out of control) came back to the surface (late bills, all-nighters, etc.). Then I remembered... oh yeah I faced this stuff/did this stuff in undergrad and the last time I was working on a Masters! But, some things like running late and having to hurry to get somewhere or doing my taxes on April 15, had never faded into the background.

So maybe too it's not necessarily that it's gone away, or that we've come up with strategies that work without even realizing it (although that happens), but that the situations and circumstances themselves that we've found ourselves in worked with the ADHD instead of against it.

bythesea
The Following User Says Thank You to bythesea For This Useful Post:
ADDMagnet (10-06-09)
Old 10-09-05, 03:58 AM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Well, as we're often reminded around here, if there is no dysfunction there is no Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. The key words being deficit and disorder -- the ADHD syndrome become traits not a disorder. Since, ADHD traits exist on a continuium and since ADHD is a disorder, it seems like theoretically at least one might mature out of it or develop suitable accomodations/lifestyle so that it could no longer be considered a disorder.

My guess (heck, more like my experience) is that while some might "out grow" it, that they would probably still live their lives pretty close to that line that seperates "normal" from "disorder" and that aging, hormonal changes, and changes in the structure, support, responsibilities, or stimulation in one's life could knock them across that line quite easily.

In high school, I hit the right combination of extra curricular activities, parental support and structure, stimulation, diet, exercise, hormones, spirituality, and who knows what else that it would have seemed pretty silly to say I had a disorder (my opinion-- maybe those who knew me then would disagree ). I was a class and student association officer, honor student, musician, responsible student who had good friends and no major comorbid or apparent ADHD problems. I certainly wasn't perfect, but no one is and that can still fall in the normal realm.

My current situation before meds as a mother, wife, and home school teacher, was completely different. My psychologist had no trouble emphatically stating I was ADHD and hasn't changed his mind over the past eight months. It's just too obvious, just like when I was a child. So maybe someone more knowledgable than me can explain if such a profile would make a person ADHD from 3 - 13; normal from 14 - 18; and ADHD in adulthood?

Sorry to go on so, but this topic really interests me, thanks for bringing it up!

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 10-09-05, 05:18 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,627 Times in 5,782 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
My current situation before meds as a mother, wife, and home school teacher, was completely different. My psychologist had no trouble emphatically stating I was ADHD and hasn't changed his mind over the past eight months. It's just too obvious, just like when I was a child. So maybe someone more knowledgable than me can explain if such a profile would make a person ADHD from 3 - 13; normal from 14 - 18; and ADHD in adulthood?

AH Ha small children cause ADHD!!!!!both being one have haveing one or more..sorry it is late.....

Quote:
discovered my metabolism changed around 22-23 years of age as I put on a good 20 pounds. Around that time my hyperactivity seemed to decrease as well. I didn't 'have' to fidget all the time, just some of the time. :-)

Slowing metabolism and decreased activity make prefect scense.....which is why I was very hyper and the high activity level has decreased some wht over the years.

Quote:
If I remember correctly it was something like 35%.

You have a good memory....

From "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders Throughtout the Lifespan" by Patricia Quinn, Md and Nancy Ratey Ed.M,ABDA,ACC

page 81

"It has been estimated from Available literature that aproximately one third of adults with ADHD progress satisfactorily into thier adult years (Hechtman, 2000) Another third continue to experience some problems, while a final one third experience and often develope significant problems. By combining a number of well conducted outcome studies, it is reasonable to conclude that 10% to 20% of adults with histories of AD/HD experience few problems. Sixty precent continue to demonstrate symptoms of AD/HD and experience social, academic, and emotional problems to at least a mild to moderate degree. Finaly, 10% to 30% develope more serious life problems, including those involving the legal system and anti-social behavior. They often experience co-occuring problems such as depression and anxiety (Goldsmith &Teeter-Ellison, 2002)

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-09-05, 04:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

lostdog65 will become famous soon enough
This last week has shown me something interesting. The higher the stress, the more distracted I become. I worked a split-shift last week, tried to make sense of a newsroom that had no leadership, develop a new way of doing the morning show and trying to save the martial arts school I attend.

Throw on top of that the uncertainty of my new job in radio, the pressure from an old boss to come back to aviation, my wife's nervousness about the whole situation and that damnable coffee I had on Friday; I'm feeling like I did back in my late teens early 20's...scatterbrained and fried!

So I guess, like someone said above, these traits can come an go based on circumstances...at least that's what I've been seeing this last week...

Eric

Old 10-09-05, 05:34 PM

I went back and read some material on this from a Barkley on-line course .

What he said was that the symptoms may diminsh over time but will always be in excess (to the point of impairment), compared with the non ADHD person.
Old 10-09-05, 09:01 PM

Garry has disabled reputation
Regarding "Does it ever go away "

Read this post " How Many Stages of ADD Are There "

Taking paticular not to this wonderful addition to my post by Smooch which is linked to this page

The ADD Journey

It has help myself and many others understand where they are at with regards to there place in the lifespan of " Their ADD Journey "

__________________________________________________ ______

Also

May you get as much insight from this as I did

__________________________________________________ ______
"THE STATION"

You can read this wonderfull passage BY:
ROBERT HASTINGS

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are travelling by train. Out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn, and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the Station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, daming the minutes for loitering - waiting, waiting, waiting for the Station.

"When we reach the Station, that will be it!" we cry. "When I'm eighteen." "When I buy a new 450 SL Mercedes Benz!" "When I put the last kid through college." "When I have paid off the mortgage!" "When I get a promotion!" "When I reach retirement, I shall live happily ever after!"

Sooner or later we must realize there is no Station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The Station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us.

"Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled with psalm 118:24
"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad.

It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow.

Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.

So, stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less. Life must be lived as we go along.

The Station will come soon enough.

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 10-09-05, 09:27 PM
Contributor

Bean Delphiki is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind that the teenage years are times of great upheaval in every way. I personally believe I went through some major "brain changes" around 14-16, and I think it could be possible for a small minority of people to have their brains evolve around this time such that they are no longer "ADD brains." I could be wrong on that, but until it's proven impossible, I'd consider it a possibility.

Update: Currently dealing with a repetitive strain injury [RSI] to my hands/wrists/arms. I may not reply immediately (or at all) because typing is difficult and painful some days. If you'd like me to see something or reply, please email and be patient with me.

Current avatar made by user mutantjedibauer on Livejournal.com