ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 03-29-06, 07:28 AM
Jr Member

wburgs has disabled reputation
urgh...

That 80mg dose is a bugger!

Very queezy!

Well, each rise in the dosage had a similar affect that eventually disappaited so I'll try this for another week or two.

The effects at 40mg seemed to be just fine, side effects disappeared after a few days. In fact, it's kinda weird, it doesn't feel like the medication is doing anything at all, yet, I'm much more productive at work and I seem to be remembering things much better? Subtle, yet somewhat effective.
Old 03-31-06, 01:30 AM
Jr Member

HyperForKiss is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Things come easier.

Hello. I'm 18, male, approx 130 -140 lbs. I took my first strattera pill today (a measley 18MG to match my age), and in about an hour or so, felt kind of almost high. I felt slower, and very tired, but when I went to play my guitar, I noticed that everything I played was in order. Usually, when I play, I play 1/2 of a song, and then change my mind and play 1/2 of another song :P This was a little strange, but good. I didn't suddenly want to do my homework or anything, but I feel as if I did, it might be easier to finnish. I'm supposed to up my dose for the next 3 weeks from 18 - 25 - 40 Mg and see how each affects me.

Side Effects: A little queezy, not nauseous, but just a weird feeling in my gut, other than that, my head feels a tad off, like a drugged sort of tired. It almost is like that feeling you sometimes get when you hear very bad news that you were anticipating and its like your soul is falling behind your body. Like when a camera zooms in and moves away at the same time. Hard to explain really, but not a bad thing. I hope it goes away though, I could see myself getting sick of that feeling.

I'm usually very unorganized so I hope one day to finally be able to use an organizer and pry my but out of this computer chair. At the moment my thoughts are slow and unorganized but everything seems to be coming more naturally to me now.

Anyways, if anyone knows if the being tired and dizzy wears off, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-06, 08:49 AM

jenniferheady is on a distinguished road
Smile Jen

I put my 6 year old son on the lowest dose of Strattera 10mg. At first I thought I had made a terrible mistake! He was EXHAUSTED! He fell asleep waiting for the bus and then fell asleep going down the slide at school! Right in the middle of play! I started giving it to him at night for that first week and saw quite an improvement in his behavior. So I gradually changed the times until it was in the a.m. again. His Sunday school teacher searched for me this Sunday and told me that he was doing so much better this week...not all over the place and he listened! I am waiting to see if his teacher contacts me. I haven't told anyone. I want to see if they come to me. I see a change at home. He is much more on task. I hope that I don't have to up the dosage. I love it how it is. He is still himself completely, just more focused. He laughs and smiles a lot and he is so proud that he is so good now. (he thinks it is allergy meds). I had to "sneak" because of the stigma of meds in my family...They don't want a child in their family "drugged". Yet they seem to like the "new" him.
It is too early to swear loyalty to Strattera, but so far so good.
The Following User Says Thank You to jenniferheady For This Useful Post:
hideout (10-13-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-06, 09:28 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Jen,

Glad to hear your son is seeing positive results with Strattera. The side effects you describe are very normal. I remember when I started, I would start yawning non-stop around 11:00am. I also switched to an evening dose and the side effects disappeared.

Our son (8 years old) is taking Ritalin SR and has improved dramatically. He is aware of his actions when he takes and when he doesn't take his medication. We tell him the medication helps him concentrate and sit still when he is in school and at home. We call it his concentration medicine. Since I take medication, we usually take it at the same time.

Sorry you have to hide the cause of your son's improved behavior. Overall, it's your choice as to what's best for him. Even if it includes taking medication. If you ever decide to share this information and you get negative comments, explain that it's no different that someone taking blood pressure or cholesterol medication. If they say they are dangerous, then share with them that 1000's of children and adults die per year by taking aspirin. Being in tune with your son's behavior will make the treatment plan safe.

Thanks for posting your son's success story and welcome to the forums.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Old 04-11-06, 11:05 AM

jenniferheady is on a distinguished road
I am so relieved at the support I get here. I will be telling my husband at the end of the week...pray for me
The Following User Says Thank You to jenniferheady For This Useful Post:
tom12983 (04-23-11)
Old 04-13-06, 01:10 AM
Jr Member

HyperForKiss is on a distinguished road
Hmm, im on my last 25 MG pill as we speak, and I don't notice a HUGE difference other than being a bit more sedated. My motivation is what I wanted to change most, and that doesn't seem to have changed at all. Reading is a bit easier, and things are falling into place a little better, but I dont know what to think. I think these pills are making my balls hurt . And they make my pupils as big as cheech and chong in an acid facrory. Uhm. hmm ... I'm moving up to 40 MG tomorrow and HOPE to god that it makes a difference, after all this fun side effect junk. :P ...

To be honest, I think I'm feeling happier these days, but I dont know if I'm happier, or I care less. I'm less nervous in public which is good. This is sort of the beginning of a tale of success I feel. Kind of an update :P

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 04-14-06, 11:48 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperForKiss
Hello. I'm 18, male, approx 130 -140 lbs. I took my first strattera pill today (a measley 18MG to match my age)
Don't worry about the dosage/age thing. If anything I'd be more concerned about the Age thing by itself. Some of the things I've read from the way that Straterra affects your sex drive and ability is a bit concerning, especially for an 18 year old male! The other issue I'd be concerned with is the growth potential, if your still growing, you might want to read the fine print.

Quote:
and in about an hour or so, felt kind of almost high. I felt slower, and very tired, but when I went to play my guitar, I noticed that everything I played was in order. Usually, when I play, I play 1/2 of a song, and then change my mind and play 1/2 of another song :P This was a little strange, but good. I didn't suddenly want to do my homework or anything, but I feel as if I did, it might be easier to finnish.
It is hard to explain isn't it. Like I said, it doesn't really feel like it's doing anyhting (aside from the weird side effects) yet work seems to be easier to do. It deffinately doesn't motivate you, but it is a lot easier to stay on track. As for tired, can't say it did that to me. It does keep me up at night if I take my pill later, and on one night with the 80mg dose the queeziness overtook me and I lost my dinner. Needless to say, I choose to take it down to the 40mg mark. That seems to do the best with the least amount of side effects.

Quote:
Hard to explain really, but not a bad thing. I hope it goes away though, I could see myself getting sick of that feeling.

Anyways, if anyone knows if the being tired and dizzy wears off, please let me know.
Definately hard to explain. But one thing I've noticed is that the drug seems to have a break in period (probably why they start off with a low dosage and slowly increase it). The side effects do dissapait with time, each day they will affect you less and less. However, if you stop taking it for the weekend and then start back up... The side effects do too. Probably why I got overcome with the 80mg dosage.
Old 04-14-06, 11:52 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferheady
I put my 6 year old son on the lowest dose of Strattera 10mg.
I don't know about using Strattera for small kids, I'd seriously consider reading the fine print first. There are reports of the way it affects height and weight growth as well as sexual development. Not stuff I'd be messing with in a 6 year old! Keep a close eye on his growth and make sure it's not affecting him!
brentdotcom (02-25-12)
Old 05-14-06, 12:52 AM

keith999 is on a distinguished road
Post i am 12 and started on strateera 2 weeks ago

the strateera is working i have became alot calmer but it does make me tired i almost fall asleep in school does any body have any sugesstions

ps i live in england
Old 06-11-06, 01:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

BananaSlip is on a distinguished road
My life is much better because of it...

Well, I haven't posted for awhile so I can respond to this without sounding like a Strattera sales rep!

I've been taking 40 mg of Staterra <-- and yep, I still can't spell it correctly half the time -- for 3 years now. My recommended dosage is between 50 and 60 mg, but I have found that 40 mg works just fine for me. I tried to go higher, but the side effects were too much. I have minimal side effects on 40 mg -- only persistent thirst, which I quench with a constant supply of water and Gatorade. I started taking Strattera to help me get through the torture of graduate school, but I found that I needed it in my professional career as well.

My overall memory, daily functioning, adaptability, focusing, and critical thinking skills are remarkably better than before I started taking the med. I am also much calmer, less anxious, and less impulsive. I tend to think before acting and plan out tasks instead of just going with the flow and often going down the path of inefficiency. This has helped me reduce the amount of mistakes I tend to make unmedicated and be aware of potential pitfalls that I have to avoid or work through; thus, helping me work much faster and efficiently. My true intelligence and potential are finally showing through, whereas before I was known as the family airhead and perpetual failure.

However, and this a big "however", I have found over the years that Strattera works best for me if I get 8 to 9 hours of sleep a day, no more, no less. With good solid sleep, I'm on top of my game. After a couple of days of sleep deprivation, I might as well not even take the pill.

Now and then, probably because of lack of sleep, when the med is not as effective, I have to revert back to my supply of compensatory strategies to deal with those ADHD symptoms. Fortunately for me, I've used them my entire life so I know what to do on those "off" days. Therefore, it is important to also learn those compensatory strategies as a back-up plan.

Although, I highly recommend Strattera, it is not for everyone. It works for some and not for others as with all the other medications out there. You also have to figure out which dosage works best for you: Too high and you get awful side effects (as with all drugs) -- too low and you don't get the benefits. In the end, it is worth trying but with the knowledge that it may or may not work for you.

Good luck to you all!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BananaSlip For This Useful Post:
aarondev (11-02-10), ADD_Serpent (05-18-17), Jade Sea (04-20-11), Nick The Newbie (04-18-11)
Old 06-12-06, 08:33 PM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Tim,

I had some bad side effects but ain't here to rain on your parade.

Good stuff: Strattera effectively helped stabilize my moods while adjusting to stimulant meds. I simply do not need it any longer.

Bob
I think the conviction and the intensity and the passion and the sincerity - the honesty - you feel these qualities when you hear this record, and that's what makes it so compelling - Joshua Redman on Trane's "Love Supreme"

It is what makes us ADHDers compelling also - Bob1951
Old 06-28-06, 01:31 AM

couldyourepeat? is on a distinguished road
high hopes for strattera

just started taking strattera today...after all the stories, success and otherwise, I seem to be starting on a lower dose than everyone else..18mg once a day for 2 weeks followed by an increase to 40mg starting on the 15th day. Noticed 3 things today...very thirsty, dry mouth, and not hungry, which is abnormal for me since i also have a compulsive eating disorder along with ADD. This is going to be interesting. PS when i did eat...my food had a strange taste, almost earthy...like dirt. Not going to hurt me any for sure. Anyone had a change in their tastebuds?
Old 08-10-06, 09:03 PM
Jr Member

captainkirk is on a distinguished road
Day 10 on 40mg per day

Nothin' yet in terms of positive effects. Quite hairy in terms of side effects. In some ways my ADHD symptoms are actually exacerbated - squirming like billy-o and spacing-out like there was no tomorrow. Forget getting anything productive done. Although I accept that much of this could be down to the abrupt way I finished off taking Effexor (venlafaxine) 10 days ago in my rush to get on Strattera. Should I just hang in there?
Old 08-10-06, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Captain, we have a deep space message here:

If you went off Effexor quickly that is probably the problem-it is nasty stuff unless you wean yourself very, very, slowly. I cannot say that enough. Tell you doc you are having probs, there should be something to help. 10 days is way too fast-I sufferered miserably and took much longer than that.

Let us know how you are doing.
RADD-take care of yourself.
Old 08-11-06, 05:58 AM
Jr Member

captainkirk is on a distinguished road
RADDmom thanks

I didn't exactly cold-turkey the effexor - I had been at 150 mg and managed to take myself down to 37.5 where I had been for a week, stopped completely for a day and then started up on the Strattera at 40 mg. I realise now that I should have done that more gently. I think gallons of water and long walks with the dog are in order. I guess the Strattera wont take effect for another couple of weeks ? In the meanwhile I'll just have to live in this disruption in the space-time continuum ...