ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-02-05, 01:21 AM
Jr Member

FixCat is on a distinguished road
Preschool son, stimulant meds didn't work - dr wants to try risperdal - bipolar?

Thank you in advance for any help! My son is four and a half years old. He has been diagnosed ADHD - primarily hyper/impulse. Hubby and I have exhausted all the testing that is out there and just two weeks ago we had the school eligibility meeting and he was given the "disabled" diagnosis and will receive an IEP. Hopefully this will get him into a preschool that can help him.

In the mean time - he has been on the following meds: Concerta, Adderal, Strattera and Tenex. All four of these perscribed by a very competent MD - psychiatrist (and pediatrician as well). Our son has had awful reactions to all of these meds - anger, irritability, more aggressive, etc. The Tenex seemed to be the worst - he started attacking other kids - even ones that were sleeping in preschool!

Our son is a very wonderful, sweet and sensitive child - always sorry when he hurt's someone. Very high iq, empathatic, nice to animals (we have many) etc.

He just acts a little "strange" sometimes - does wierd things and can be very impulsive and aggressive - grabbing, pushing, hitting, etc.

The doctor is pretty convinced that his reactions to these meds may indicate that he is bipolar (it runs in our family - I was diagnosed years ago - but not sure if it was just because I was an alcoholic - sober since 1991).

She has perscribed Risperdal for him. I haven't started it yet - I want to give his little body a break for a while.

Have any of you fine folks out there had this experience? Any experience with Risperdal or of a child not being able to take the stimulant meds - being bipolar?

Until then . . . we love him, look for ways that we as parents can do a better job, and only put him in win-win situations.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Old 11-02-05, 05:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
There are some great stickies in the BiP forum on children bip/adhd. This link will lead the way.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133
Old 11-09-05, 11:47 AM
Jr Member

FixCat is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Scuro

Hello Scuro,

I meant to post a thank you for the great link last week! I think I read everything on the link - many thanks!

I've decided not to put my son on the Risperdal right now. He is a sweet and happy boy. We'll see what happens in time.

Again, many thanks.

FixCat