ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-05, 07:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Neurontin (gabapentin)

Neurontin affects dopamine production. It is typically given as an antiseizure, and anticonvulsant medication, and it is often given for neuropathic pain, or for phantom limb pain in amputees. Off label uses include use as a weak mood stabilizer in the treatment of bipolar disorder, and for relief from subjective tinnitis.

The good things about neurontin are the fact that it has few dangerous side effects and is non-addictive.

The bad thing about neurontin is that it only works for about 30% of the people who take it.

I started taking neurontin for about 8 months ago. Last month it stopped working, so I have begun the process of weaning off it.

I had originally taken it to try to curb my tinnitus and in fact, it did help my hyperacusus noticably. I also noticed that it acted as a mild mood stabilizer.... a plus, since anxiety is a big factor for me.

Now it is barely working , so I am going to try to get off of it and see what happens.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 11-07-05, 10:44 AM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
How expensive is neurontin?
Old 11-07-05, 02:09 PM

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
Try 'my' Topamax that I was put on for my recent diagnosis of brain seizures, Speed. It also doubles for Bipo rapid cycle (mood swings), too, which you're well aware of in my case, lol! I'm on it for a life sentence and it works wonders !!!
I don't know if it will work on your tinnitis though, but maybe you can take something for that in conjunction to the Topamax.
If you need details, messenger me later.
I've been working like a DOG lately...hazzards of the job, Sugar..you know that..
But I'll turn on messenger and I'll tell you all about it this evening if you'd like.
It helps me tremendously...but it does also have it's side effects. I'm confident that will wear off (hopefully) as all med side effects wear off eventually...
Talk with you soon Brilliant One
Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-05, 05:52 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
It is not very expensive, and it is not a scheduled drug, and that means you can legally buy it without a prescription if you can find a vendor.

I believe it comes out to about 30 cents a dose.

ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick
How expensive is neurontin?
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 11-07-05, 05:53 PM

Thank you sunshine. It is appreciated. It is good to hear your voice.

ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Try 'my' Topamax that I was put on for my recent diagnosis of brain seizures, Speed. It also doubles for Bipo rapid cycle (mood swings), too, which you're well aware of in my case, lol! I'm on it for a life sentence and it works wonders !!!
I don't know if it will work on your tinnitis though, but maybe you can take something for that in conjunction to the Topamax.
If you need details, messenger me later.
I've been working like a DOG lately...hazzards of the job, Sugar..you know that..
But I'll turn on messenger and I'll tell you all about it this evening if you'd like.
It helps me tremendously...but it does also have it's side effects. I'm confident that will wear off (hopefully) as all med side effects wear off eventually...
Talk with you soon Brilliant One
Nova
Old 11-12-05, 03:46 PM

CJsMom is on a distinguished road
If anyone is interested (low dose) Nerontin also works to prevent migraines...I was on Topomax for menstrual migraine prevention but it totally killed my appetite, made me sick to my stomach, and oddly enough made my arms numb and tingly! The neurontin is cheap and works great in my opinion (no headache for an entire month- a miracle!) with no side effects that I can see but I take a low dose.
Old 11-12-05, 05:06 PM

This is good to know. For me it has been a miracle. It helps reduce my hyperacusus. I stopped taking it briefly last two weeks, but have gone back on it because of an increase in auditory problems that followed going of of it. I had convinced myself that it had stopped working and tapered off of it over a two week period.... I was wrong. It is still working.

ME
Old 01-02-06, 01:21 AM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
Okay I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask. First, I have seizures and am on medication for them I have been epileptic since the age of 9 months. I talked to my psychiatrist about changing my medication, at the moment I am on Strattera 40mg.

Iknow I need something else because last semester I was all over the place and time manangement was not there at all. I become distracted very easiely and have a hard time reading the post even in the forums... I want to get to the writing something before i know what the person needs... I besome so impatient . She wont change me from my stratterra to a adderel or somthing else I know i have to be careful with my medication Tegretol and Mysoline for Epilepsy but I knwo that there has to be somthing else to help me.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 02-20-06, 08:39 AM
Jr Member

autumnsky is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb try effexor or wellbutrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntchris
Okay I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask. First, I have seizures and am on medication for them I have been epileptic since the age of 9 months. I talked to my psychiatrist about changing my medication, at the moment I am on Strattera 40mg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntchris

She wont change me from my stratterra to a adderel or somthing else I know i have to be careful with my medication Tegretol and Mysoline for Epilepsy but I knwo that there has to be somthing else to help me.

I feel you. my new pdoc seems to believe that the "downer" type of anti-anxiety/panic attack meds(kolonopin) I was on before , would cancel out the effects of my ADHD med(adderall xr), and vice versa.

I wouldn't have minded since I didnt like taking kolonopin anyways, except that my anxiety was worse than ever due to a car accident, house fire and catching an older neighborhood boy molesting my 4yr old son, all within 6 weeks of moving across the country. He suggested Effexor, which takes 4 wks. to work. Effrexor has been a blessing but the 4 wks of waiting was total hell, especially since I thought I would have to live one or the other (add or panic disorder), if the effexor didnt work. Neither were options I could handle.

Because adderall was making my anxiety worse, I stayed off of it for 2.5 months til the effexor was well established in my system. I did notice during that time that the effexor seemed to deminish some of my ADD symptoms.

Mundane, routine tasks were not so difficult to finish, I had more motivation to start one of those boring tasks without complete procrastination.
Check with your doctor about EFFEXOR. It increases norepinephrine reuptake which is pretty much what strattera does. Just the change may help. Wellbutrin may work too.
Good Luck!

ADHD-Combined Type, Panic Disorder, GAD
Adderall XR 30mg, Effexor XR 150mg
Old 09-16-06, 08:09 AM

texassweetpea is on a distinguished road
The company that makes neurontin, sorry its name slips my mind, was busted for making false claims about its ability to stabilize bipolar disorder. The research was fudged and the studies were out and out lies. I do have a friend who takes it for seizures and is happy with it. And my grandma takes it for post-shingles nerve pain. So it does have uses. When I was put on it to stabilize my mood...that crazy pdoc upped me to over 2800 mg before she listened to me that the stuff DON'T WORK!!!!! Some doctors think they know it all...trust me I know if a drug is working for me...I am very in tune with my schizoaffective disorder and ADD. Every psychotherapist I have had over the years has commended me for recognizing my symptoms and knowing when trouble may hit.:soapbox:

My crazy cocktail: Trileptal 1200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Dexadrine 30mg, Lunesta 3mg, Clonidine 0.9mg, Phentermine 30mg, Ativan 3mg prn, valium 30mg prn.