ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-07-05, 02:35 PM

boys2love is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New here--Concerned about Adderall dosage for my 7 yr old son

Hi, everyone. My son is 7 years old. He was diagnosed with ADD when he was 5 and was taking the fast acting Adderall, 30 mg in the morning and 20 mg at noon and then another 10 after school. He seemed to be doing really well, although I thought that was a lot of meds. We recently switched to the XR. The dr prescribed 2/ 25mg pills each day -- basically 50 mg just like he was on before. The problem is....I've been noticing a lot more arguing, backtalk, fighting with his brother, etc. My question is, should the dosage be the same with the XR? Is this a lot of medicine for a 7 yr old at around 55 pds? I hate second guessing his dr., but I've been reading other posts and it seems like this is a lot even for an adult. Please help me!!!
Old 11-07-05, 11:41 PM
Jr Member

FixCat is on a distinguished road
Adderall dose

Hello. In our last CHADD meeting, a lot of parents were commenting on the negative effects of these med's - the anger, sadness, etc. I know it happened to my son - who is four - on a much lower dose. You can always ask your pharmacist what he/she thinks. I know ours questioned my son's initial dose of Concerta that was given by our family doctor. He thought it was too high. We then went to a psychiatrist who told us that she thought the dose was waaay too high - she would never start a child on that high a dose. Be sure your doctor knows about these meds - we found that our gen family doctor was great at most things, but the psychiatrist was the best for this kind of medicine - it is her specialty. Also - if you are in Northern Virginia please email me. Kirk Martin, author of Celebrate ADHD, is giving a free workshop in Sterling on Thursday night. I could give you more information. Take care, FixCat