ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-05, 07:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

dbr2 is on a distinguished road
aspartame

Is it generally believed that aspartame makes ADD worse?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-05, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Yes. Aspartame can cause symptoms that are very much like ADD.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 11-18-05, 07:49 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
I personally wouldn't consume aspartame in high quantities, ADD or not.

How's that?

No, I'm not sure. Here's something interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.americanfreepress.net/Alternative_Health/Fake_Sweetener_/fake_sweetener_.html

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock, a neurosurgeon at the Medical University of Mississippi, on Mission Impossible Radio, a program dedicated to the eradication of aspartame as an additive in food preparation, with hosts Jon Baum and Betty Martini. Baum’s questions appear in boldface, Martini’s are in italics. And Blaylock’s responses are in regular text.

Why do you think aspartame is so dangerous?

Aspartame contains aspartic acid which is also an isolated amino acid that is just as toxic as glutamate. What makes aspartame particularly dangerous is that it contains three neurotoxins.

Methanol is a very powerful neurotoxin. In fact, the EPA controls methanol exposure very carefully allowing only very minute levels to be found in foods or in environmental exposures. But, it’s interesting that the level allowed in NutraSweet is seven times the amount that the EPA will allow anyone else to use.

Methanol is an extremely powerful neurotoxin. It can produce blindness. It can produce cellular destruction in the brain and the spinal cord, in particular the optic nerves that have to do with our vision.

The second amino acid, aspartic acid, is an exitotoxin that can produce cellular excitation and cell death in the brain. It can alter the way the brain is formed in newborn babies that permanently changes the brain formation, resulting in behavioral changes in children and hyperactivity.

Phenylalanine can also alter how the brain is formed during the fetal formation of the brain and it can produce lowering of the seizure threshold so you’re more likely to have a seizure.

Phenylalanine and aspartic acid are both well recognized neurotoxins. So this combination by putting three relatively powerful neurotoxins into one combination is just to me unbelievable.

We’ve heard a lot about the blood brain barrier. Doesn’t it prevent these amino acids from entering the brain?

This is one of the other things that the defenders of these compounds usually bring up. The brain has a barrier system that would keep these toxic substances from entering.

There’s an enormous amount of research, particularly recently, in which the levels of glutamic acid, aspartic acid and phenylalanine have been measured inside the brain after ingestion of NutraSweet or MSG. It has clearly shown that these substances accumulate in very high concentrations within the brain.

One study which was recently done indicated that the previous studies that said phenylalanine does not increase in the brain is really deceptive. They homogenated or ground up the entire brain of animals and measured phenylalanine levels.

When they repeated this study and measured the amount of phenylalanine in particular areas of the brain they found the phenylalanine tended to accumulate in the critical areas.

For example, the hypothalamus, which controls so many aspects of our functions—not just the endocrine system but our heart rate, the autonomic nervous system, the sleep/wake cycles, your appetite, the emotional system—has been shown to have very high accumulations of phenylalanine. The medulla oblongata at the brain stem accumulates it. The corpus striadem, which is related to Parkinson’s Disease, is known to accumulate phenylalanine.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-05, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

dbr2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the answers!
Old 11-18-05, 11:56 PM

Toad has disabled reputation

Our friend Donald

Mmmm...Chocolate! (drool)
Old 11-19-05, 09:47 AM

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
I always use Splenda, since I have Diabetes running rampant in my family, and you can't
take that back' once you get it. I have enough on my 'plate', thank you, without having a 'heapin' helpin' of that also :0)...and Splenda tastes great, to boot !

By the way..I think The Donald is still one hades of a sexy guy, from a Girly Girl's point of view, lol !
Nova

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 11-19-05, 11:06 AM

barbyma has disabled reputation
I'm very concerned with this issue, since I use aspartame in my coffee and I drink diet soda.

I cannot find an empirical study that addresses the claims here. Can anyone help me out? Do you have a reference (peer-reviewed)?

Thanks!

Barb
Old 11-19-05, 11:08 AM

His pic is here for those who know why he is there, if you don't know why he is here, well look over there, because their are unknown heres, here, while their are known knowns over there.
So look there.

It ain't so sweet.

Old 11-19-05, 11:20 AM

Splenda is derived from sugar cane and there are diet sodas that are made with Splenda that you might consider switching to. Also you are able to purchase Splenda in either packet or box from your supermarker, if you want to switch to that brand, instead of aspartame.
Just my view.
Nova

-True Blood
Old 11-19-05, 11:34 AM

Research people, splenda is a chlorinated sugar, and sometimes when things are chlorinated they become bad.
Yeah, made from sugar, but t'aint sugar!

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexcl...xclusive15.htm
Quote:
"Donald Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and the day after he took office he appointed an FDA Commissioner who would approve aspartame. The FDA set up a Board of Inquiry of the best scientists they had to offer who said aspartame is not safe and causes brain tumors, and the petition for approval is hereby revoked. The new FDA Commissioner, Arthur Hull Hayes, over-ruled that Board of Inquiry and then went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer, Burson-Marstellar, rumored at $1000.00 a day, and has refused to talk to the press ever since.

Old 11-19-05, 11:51 AM

Well, Toad...
For me..personally...I like my coffee to taste like candy, because I'm a total girl, and always have been....and I love my coffee with my Splenda Vanilla flavored coffee cream...
And I won't give it up.
And you can't catch me and make me a grown up.
Sorry.
The other evil thing that I refuse to give up is my chocolate Lucky Charms cereal.
That's just Me.
I was just giving a wicked option for others, since too much consumption of sugar, is also, bad for you.
I don't mean this to be taken in a bad way, so laugh with me, K ?
Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt !!!!! (Sticking my little tongue out at you and doing a 'raspberry', lol !)
Nova

-True Blood
Old 11-19-05, 11:54 AM

Your body, I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10.5 meter pole.

I've read too many bad things about it.

So 20 years down the road when you have mysterious health problems, what are you going to blame?

Your life, your body, be a guinea pig if you want, I won't.

Old 11-19-05, 02:33 PM

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Splenda is derived from sugar cane and there are diet sodas that are made with Splenda that you might consider switching to. Also you are able to purchase Splenda in either packet or box from your supermarker, if you want to switch to that brand, instead of aspartame.
Just my view.
Nova
Nova,

I might be asking you for some brand names if and when I decide to make a switch, but I won't make any changes without some evidence.

Doesn't anyone have a reference from a peer-reviewed journal? Or a newblurb that might mention a RESPECTABLE source that I can look up?

I'm REALLY interested in the real findings. Anyone can make claims; where's the evidence??? I've got access to just about every scientific journal under the sun. Now, I haven't completed an exhaustive search, but one would think that if a substance was truly that harmful I could find some empirical research to support that....

Thanks in advance,

Barb
The Following User Says Thank You to barbyma For This Useful Post:
Annwn (07-01-09)
Old 11-19-05, 03:36 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbyma
I'm REALLY interested in the real findings. Anyone can make claims; where's the evidence??? I've got access to just about every scientific journal under the sun. Now, I haven't completed an exhaustive search, but one would think that if a substance was truly that harmful I could find some empirical research to support that....
Well, I guess it's all about amounts. Most substances are harmful, including water, depending on how much one consumes. One could easily conduct an empirical study that would make a conclusion one way, and another could be conducted with a conclusion the opposite of the first.

One study could have people chewing aspartame laden gum for a period of time, whereas another could have people drinking 10 gallons of diet coke.

There's all kinds of evidence that methanol is harmful. It's about the amounts. Aspartame is 10% methanol. If you are worried about consumption of aspartame, maybe you should estimate the amount methanol that you consume each day, and then do research on methanol toxicity relative to that amount.

Aspartame is safe in small amounts. After all, it is normal to ingest small amounts of methanol each day from certain foods (ones that don't contain aspartame). Most of the claims of aspartame induced problems are related to high quantities (like drinking several 20oz bottles of diet soda a day).

Just something to think about.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).

Last edited by HighFunctioning; 11-19-05 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-19-05, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
There's alot of claims about these sweeteners, and most of them are based on junk science. It's hard to find real peer reviewed stidies that back up these claims.

However, some people do have trouble tolerating some of them. For me, too much aspertame seems to make me feel lousy. Splenda seems to cause me minor headaches. The one I prefer is actually sacharine. It's the most studied. Yes it's true that it used to be labelled a carcinogen, but subsequent studies have found that it's safe at realistic doses.