ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-13-03, 01:23 AM
ShinyObjects ShinyObjects is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ShinyObjects is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by andreaa000
I always felt like I was fooling everyone at work and one day they would escort me off of the property for being a "fraud". Or I would be fired for surfing the net too much. That actually might still happen, so I better get back to work. BYE!!!

Andrea
Story of my life! And now I'm a web producer, so I'm online all the time. It's like an alcoholic working in a liquor store.
__________________
There is never enough time unless you're serving it. ~ Malcolm Forbes
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-13-03, 01:32 AM
ShinyObjects ShinyObjects is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ShinyObjects is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Keppig
Movie theaters are too loud, At work the telephone makes me jump
I can totally identify. Not only are movie theaters too loud, they're too COLD!!! I hardly ever go to the movies anymore because I'm never comfortable. And I can't deal with it when it's crowded and there are people sitting next to me. I need personal space. Crowds in general make me uncomfortable because I don't like being touched much to begin with, but esp. not by strangers.

I am VERY sensitive to both noise and temperature, and smells. I am always too hot or too cold, I'm rarely comfortable. I work in a newsroom and the noise is ceaseless. I loathe the sound of the phone, and we have a police scanner which makes all kinds of irritating, high-pitched noises that go straight up my spine. I've taken to wearing headphones at my desk to muffle it and make it more tolerable.

There are certain foods that, when I smell them cooking, absolutely repulse me. I'm also quite particular about the smell of my laundry detergent, deodorant and shampoo/conditioner. I get a lot of strange looks as I unscrew all the caps on the shampoo at the beauty supply store so I can see whether it smells acceptable before buying it. If the scent is something not pleasing to me, I will notice it all day long.

I'm pretty OK with clothing actually, although that could be because I'm a slave to fashion! I prefer natural fibers, but wool is natural and I wear it pretty easily without getting too itchy. Tags are another story, however.
__________________
There is never enough time unless you're serving it. ~ Malcolm Forbes
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-13-03, 03:08 AM
missing_cues missing_cues is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: windsor, ON
Posts: 307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
missing_cues is on a distinguished road
both emotionally and physically hypersensitive....I dont like too much close contact with people,....cant wear watches and jewellry of any kind (my wedding ring will have to be glued to my hand.....of course, I wont worry about that now as I at least need a girlfriend first, and before that....a date!.....but I am getting better with foods.....I try new things.....I cant do mushrooms thouhg,....unless they are well fried, kind of crispy....the texture bothers me big time....
__________________
I have an inferiority complex.
But it's not a very good one
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missing_cues For This Useful Post:
Colorwind (10-27-09)
Sponsored Links
  #19  
Old 12-13-03, 06:50 AM
Wheel1975 Wheel1975 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ShinyObjects


I can totally identify. Not only are movie theaters too loud, they're too COLD!!! I hardly ever go to the movies anymore because I'm never comfortable. And I can't deal with it when it's crowded and there are people sitting next to me. I need personal space. Crowds in general make me uncomfortable because I don't like being touched much to begin with, but esp. not by strangers.

I am VERY sensitive to both noise and temperature, and smells. I am always too hot or too cold, I'm rarely comfortable.


There are certain foods that, when I smell them cooking, absolutely repulse me. I'm also quite particular about the smell of my laundry detergent, deodorant and shampoo/conditioner.

If the scent is something not pleasing to me, I will notice it all day long.

I'm pretty OK with clothing actually, although that could be because I'm a slave to fashion! I prefer natural fibers, but wool is natural and I wear it pretty easily without getting too itchy. Tags are another story, however.
I am "amazed" how how much drives you nuts!

But not nearly as amazed, as, that now that i think of it, even though one or two things here DON'T bother me, 8 or 10 of them do more than i would ever have realized without reading your post.

i have long contended that the reason ADHD people act like they are under constant and(or frequent) vicious attack (being short temppered, irritatble, explosive) is because THEY ARE UNDER ATTACK.

But realizing how "normal life" can be such an attack is hard for any "normal" person to appreicate, and we, as the ADHD, become burdened by expectations, language and interpretations that we mechanically learn, that are not our own experience.

thanks for further opening my eyes to who and how I am!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-17-03, 06:07 PM
mom03 mom03 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: xxx
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mom03 has disabled reputation
I've been sleeping with the fan on since I was 10. I like the ventilation but it especially covers up small noises from outside, like the wind on the corner of the house or the cat jumping on the window ledge.

I hear electric pitches from the tv... faucets dripping at the other end of the house

Listening to others chew can drive me insane.. especially if I'm in a situation where they are really lound or eating crunchy food and I need to sit across from them and try to continue with dinner like a normal person. If it's necessary, I will excuse myself for a moment to keep my sanity.. my husband understands so he doesn't eat near me.

I complained for years to my parents and just got mocked for it.. It took a mental breakdown before my complaints were taken more seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-17-03, 08:55 PM
Wheel1975 Wheel1975 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
You know, there is a thing called "sensory integration" that might describe some of your experiences.

Do a web search and see if it speaks to you.

If you'd like me to do a search and post some links, just say so.

< smile >

David
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-23-03, 03:51 AM
SubtleMuttle's Avatar
SubtleMuttle SubtleMuttle is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
SubtleMuttle is on a distinguished road
Wow- once again the openness of people on this forum makes the world seem like a smaller place! Thanks! This is kind of long, but I am trying not to rant..

Food touching: I cannot stand mixed foods like hamburgers, tacos/burritos, pasta dishes, ect (warming up to very simplified gyros, salads ok). I gag if I taste more than one thing at once- either cook it all togther or put it on a plate in separated piles thank you. If something has a sauce, I'll even prop my plate up with a spoon to keep it from running into something that doesn't go with it.

I HATE SEAFOOD (but not seaweed...)

Pasta: love angel hair with cheese and butter. Gag at the sight of funny shaped and fat pastas- especially if they have something on them like pesto! Egg noodles and ramen noodles ok (with cheese and butter!)

Light: Overhead lights drive me berzerk! Especially fluorescents (I can feel them flickering, sometimes hear them too even when others cannot). I need directed, ambient lighting in my home to feel normal. I don't like sunlight either, but that's an allergy (most terrible in the summer though- heat and humidity over 80 makes me feel sick and being in direct sun makes that worse).

Is anyone really sensitive to others feelings? If I'm near someone who's feeling something intensely (doesn't matter who or what it's directed toward, or even if I interact with them or not) I can feel that as a knot in my stomach (feeling someone's anger is extremely painful- makes me lose it sometimes!).

ej35401- the chewing thing gets me too! And something my boyfriend does- he slurps hot soups and beverages. I try not to strangle him for it, but he refuses to believe me when I tell him that this sets my hair on end and makes my neck tense. These are no dainty slurps. These slurps could register up on the rictor scale; I can feel them through the soles of my feet too, and they hurt my ears, and I cannot have food in my mouth when I hear this. I cannot rationalize my reaction well enough. He can rationalize the slurping though: "It's hot!!!"

The high pitched ringing noise that monitors and TVs make can give me headaches if I don't drown them out with something.

Wish that my acute sense of smell cold help me find my missing cell phone . Hate the smell of Taco Bell- ick.

And there is so much more.. but I have to stop somewhere!
__________________
"And I get to tend the rabbits!"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-23-03, 03:33 PM
smooch smooch is offline
Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 793
Thanks: 10
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
smooch has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by SubtleMuttle

I HATE SEAFOOD.... ]ME TOO!! BLECH!!


Is anyone really sensitive to others feelings? If I'm near someone who's feeling something intensely (doesn't matter who or what it's directed toward, or even if I interact with them or not) I can feel that as a knot in my stomach (feeling someone's anger is extremely painful- makes me lose it sometimes!).


Yep, that's me too. Totally identify with the knot in my stomach that's supposed to be in someone else's!

smoo
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. (Author Unknown)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-23-03, 06:26 PM
steveb's Avatar
steveb steveb is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oakland County - Michigan
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
steveb is on a distinguished road
Wow, I never thought of the gut pain as being hyper sensitive.
I always get a pain behind my groin if I see someone get hurt, or even hear about them getting hurt. Enough of a pain to make me jump as if I was poked.

Also, Wet newspaper makes me physically shiver, even to think about it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-25-03, 06:41 AM
Wheel1975 Wheel1975 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SubtleMuttle
Wow- once again the openness of people on this forum makes the world seem like a smaller place! Thanks! This is kind of long, but I am trying not to rant..

Food touching: I cannot stand mixed foods like hamburgers, tacos/burritos, pasta dishes, ect (warming up to very simplified gyros, salads ok). I gag if I taste more than one thing at once- either cook it all togther or put it on a plate in separated piles thank you. If something has a sauce, I'll even prop my plate up with a spoon to keep it from running into something that doesn't go with it.

I HATE SEAFOOD (but not seaweed...)

Pasta: love angel hair with cheese and butter. Gag at the sight of funny shaped and fat pastas- especially if they have something on them like pesto! Egg noodles and ramen noodles ok (with cheese and butter!)

Light: Overhead lights drive me berzerk! Especially fluorescents (I can feel them flickering, sometimes hear them too even when others cannot). I need directed, ambient lighting in my home to feel normal. I don't like sunlight either, but that's an allergy (most terrible in the summer though- heat and humidity over 80 makes me feel sick and being in direct sun makes that worse).

Is anyone really sensitive to others feelings? If I'm near someone who's feeling something intensely (doesn't matter who or what it's directed toward, or even if I interact with them or not) I can feel that as a knot in my stomach (feeling someone's anger is extremely painful- makes me lose it sometimes!).

ej35401- the chewing thing gets me too! And something my boyfriend does- he slurps hot soups and beverages. I try not to strangle him for it, but he refuses to believe me when I tell him that this sets my hair on end and makes my neck tense. These are no dainty slurps. These slurps could register up on the rictor scale; I can feel them through the soles of my feet too, and they hurt my ears, and I cannot have food in my mouth when I hear this. I cannot rationalize my reaction well enough. He can rationalize the slurping though: "It's hot!!!"

The high pitched ringing noise that monitors and TVs make can give me headaches if I don't drown them out with something.

Wish that my acute sense of smell cold help me find my missing cell phone . Hate the smell of Taco Bell- ick.

And there is so much more.. but I have to stop somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-25-03, 06:45 AM
Wheel1975 Wheel1975 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Some of this looks o me like traits of asperger's or autism, and sensory integration disorder...

Everything outside of me being connected to inside of me, (even the "empathy stuff, someone else cutting themselves with a knife while cooking, getting burned, caused real physical pain for me just to see, hear, or know about it,) without an intermediatea step...

even the "imagined" stuff is not buffered through a "virtual" step that makes it truely abstract... like other people
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-25-03, 09:49 PM
HighFunctioning's Avatar
HighFunctioning HighFunctioning is offline
Extradimensional Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Not In Your Dimension
Posts: 3,866
Thanks: 339
Thanked 826 Times in 449 Posts
HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Many of my hypersensitivities seem to be greatly diminished over the years. Tags and other parts of clothes such as stitched logos used to bother me profoundly. Now, tags usually do not bother me, unless they are offset from their usual positions (if I run something down my back, I can tell that there is a noticable loss of sensitivity where my tags usually are).

Rough textures of nylon (like those on the outside of winter coats) would make the hair on my arms stand straight up. It was definately a nerve related issue (like biting on tinfoil). Today, I can actually touch nylon coats on the outside.

I hear oscillators in TV's, extrememly high pitched noises (like from pressurized propane gas operating portable heaters, being very annoying). I still hear this, especially in some cheaper TV's. However, I haven't experienced this with computer monitors in a while.

I am hypersensitive to heat. Now, it is more direct heat than anything. I could never handle hot plates very well, as compared to others. I would never wear long sleve shirts, sweatshirts, etc, (even in the winter) as I would tend to feel a bit sick wearing them (extremely chilled). Today, I can wear such shirts, although I prefer not to. I would say working for an apiary on a hot day in a bee suit helped this a bit. Direct, intense heat (from hot plates, pans, fires) still bothers me.

As mentioned before, I too can hear noises at night at the opposite end of the house. Even though I had auditory problems, I can easily listen to conversations two floors apart if there is no background noise.

I used to be bothered a bit by florescent lights. I could tell that they were flickering enough to cause eye strain (as compared to standard incandescents). Today, it doesn't bother me as much (probably because I am forced to stare at 60hz computer screens). I can stand a 60hz screen, but that doesn't mean I can't see it flickering. I can tell the difference between 80 and 90hz, even though most people probably couldn't.
__________________
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-25-03, 10:11 PM
HighFunctioning's Avatar
HighFunctioning HighFunctioning is offline
Extradimensional Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Not In Your Dimension
Posts: 3,866
Thanks: 339
Thanked 826 Times in 449 Posts
HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by SubtleMuttle

Light: Overhead lights drive me berzerk! Especially fluorescents (I can feel them flickering, sometimes hear them too even when others cannot).
By hearing the florescent lights, do you mean a low "buzzing" noise generated by the transformer? Transformers are very annoying to me. Where I work, there are many transformers (florescent lighting transformers, 3-phase 480VAC -> single phase 120VAC, etc.) Even in the office parts, the buzzing is quite ambient, but I am used to the noise.

By the way, if you don't like the sound from your computer monitor, just get a system with an AMD Athlon XP. You will need so many fans to cool the Athlon XP that you won't need to worry about the high pitched noises coming from your monitor.
__________________
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).

Last edited by HighFunctioning; 12-25-03 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-26-03, 04:38 AM
SubtleMuttle's Avatar
SubtleMuttle SubtleMuttle is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
SubtleMuttle is on a distinguished road
Transformers, yes. But something else too. I can feel the pulse of the bulb with my eyes if it's an old bulb- it's pulse will slow as it starts to expire. I will often hear something in sync with that pulse (very minor) and I'm not sure if that's my imagination (visual audio connecting) or if there's something in the bulb making the sound as it pulses, or if the transformers are also responsible for that (those buzz though, right? Does the balast make a noise? Fluorescents use balasts? Heckidunno). May be my imagination!

Thanks for the tips- I am not familiar with asperger's or autism or sensory integration disorder but I think I was tested for autism when I was a kid and it was a negative (like there's definitive tests anyway!)- but I may understand these traits better by looking into aspergers and autism and SI and knowing more about those. I'm using a newer monitor at home and havn't noticed a high-pitched noise from it (I am not so technically knowledgeable about these!)- only from somewhere inside the tower . Have no idea what is making the noise! Oh well, maybe the fan, but it doesn't pulse like the fan! The fans bother me too (my boyfriend, "What DOESN'T bother you?")


On the flip side- is anyone hypersensitive to something in a positive way? I really like clicking those sharp metal buttons (like the ones on old stereo equipment) that make a clean snap-click sound. I don't know what it is about those, but I swear that if I could record that sound it would have a really cool wave shape!

I love the smell of fresh copper (my imagination?) (but old pennies stink.. actually, money stinks!).

What is it about the bubble wrap? I know I'm not alone in that!
__________________
"And I get to tend the rabbits!"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-26-03, 09:07 AM
Wheel1975 Wheel1975 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by HighFunctioning


By hearing the florescent lights, do you mean a low "buzzing" noise generated by the transformer? Transformers are very annoying to me. Where I work, there are many transformers (florescent lighting transformers, 3-phase 480VAC -> single phase 120VAC, etc.) Even in the office parts, the buzzing is quite ambient, but I am used to the noise.

By the way, if you don't like the sound from your computer monitor, just get a system with an AMD Athlon XP. You will need so many fans to cool the Athlon XP that you won't need to worry about the high pitched noises coming from your monitor.
Or get a Mac with a flat screen... so little fan noise you won't beleive it, and nothing from the screen!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADHD and hypersensitivity Jett General ADD Talk 9 05-09-06 08:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums