ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.52%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.23%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 36.99%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.88%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 397 80.69%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.82%
Claustrophobia 156 31.71%
Sensitive to certain smells 263 53.46%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 77 15.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-03, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

spasepeepole is on a distinguished road
I can't stand loud sudden noises. I flip out. I actually wake up 10 minutes before my alarm (at least) with out trying because it's such negative reenforcement. Ugh.
Old 12-26-03, 10:00 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by SubtleMuttle
Transformers, yes. But something else too. I can feel the pulse of the bulb with my eyes if it's an old bulb- it's pulse will slow as it starts to expire. I will often hear something in sync with that pulse (very minor) and I'm not sure if that's my imagination (visual audio connecting) or if there's something in the bulb making the sound as it pulses, or if the transformers are also responsible for that (those buzz though, right? Does the balast make a noise? Fluorescents use balasts? Heckidunno). May be my imagination!

A ballast (or sometimes called a ballast transformer) is a small regulating low power transformer used in florescent lighting. Modern day lighting ballasts are not supposed to be audible and most people should not be able to see flicker because of the high frequency. Older lights with magnetic ballasts were very audible and the flicker of the light was also noticable.

So yes, ballasts do make noise.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 12-27-03, 10:16 PM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
the modern ballast runs faster than 60 Hz ?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-04, 09:05 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
From http://www.lightsearch.com/resources.../ballasts.html . . .

Quote:
Flicker

Electromagnetic ballasts are designed to condition the 60 Hz input voltage to the electrical requirements of the lamps. A magnetic ballast alters the voltage, but not the frequency. Thus, the lamp voltage crosses zero 120 times each second, resulting in 120 Hz light output oscillations. This results in about 30% flicker for standard halophosphor lamps, operated at 60 Hz. The flicker is generally not noticeable but there is evidence that flicker of this magnitude can cause adverse effects, such as eyestrain and headache.

Most electronic ballasts, on the other hand, use high-frequency operation, which reduces lamp flicker to an essentially imperceptible level. The flicker percentage of a particular ballast is usually specified by the manufacturer. For a given ballast, the percent flicker will be a function of lamp type and phosphor composition.
When I say modern ballasts, I speak of electronic ballasts.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 01-03-04, 03:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
I've got a new one. Riding thru mountain passes with Speedy Gonzales ( my DH) at the wheel. I thought I would pass out, dizzy, short of breath, white knuckling the dash, pumpin' the fake brake. Yowza!
Old 01-17-04, 03:11 AM

mom03 has disabled reputation
The sounds of eating

To sleep it has to be cool w/ a fan, no dripping faucets, no ticking clocks.. the fan helps drown out any random noises that might disturb me, like the cats eating.

The absolute worst is the sound of others eating. (Holiday dinners w/ family are NOT fun!) The worst torture anyone could ever put me threw is to chain me down at the dinner table with a bunch of starving cavemen and then feed them chips, fried chicken and fruit.

I'm not sure if it would be my head or my heart that would explode first!
Old 01-17-04, 06:52 PM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Re: The sounds of eating

Quote:
Originally posted by ej35401

The absolute worst is the sound of others eating. (Holiday dinners w/ family are NOT fun!) The worst torture anyone could ever put me threw is to chain me down at the dinner table with a bunch of starving cavemen and then feed them chips, fried chicken and fruit.

I'm not sure if it would be my head or my heart that would explode first!
That is soooo me! My father, God love him, is the FIRST person who comes to mind when I think of being grossed out by hearing him eat. EEEEEWWWWW!!!!!

smoo
Old 01-18-04, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

citruscat2002 is on a distinguished road
My eggs need to be scrambled or hard cooked because runniness just turns my stomach.
I cut all the labels from my clothes (even/especially underwear). When I was a kid, there was a fad for sewn - in crinolines in dresses and I distinctly remember the torture of wearing them -- uggh. I also went barefoot as much as I could and was always taking off shoes and socks.
I couldn't work in an environment that had pop music playing (even quietly) all day.
Where I live is extremely quiet and dark, so no problems sleeping.
Cheap perfume and some other scents really bother me.
Old 01-26-04, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I always get a pain behind my groin if I see someone get hurt, or even hear about them getting hurt. Enough of a pain to make me jump as if I was poked.
I have ALWAYS been this way too... If someone says they stubbed their toe I cringe becusae I can feel it so well... my brothers used to always tease me because I was so sensitive to being tickled. all they had to do was wiggle a finger at me and I would double over just at the thought!!

When I'm nervous or feeling silly my boyfriend literally can't even touch me. I just giggle all over the place!! (worst when i'm nervous though) he used to think i was nuts but he's used to it now
Old 01-26-04, 06:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
I'm also super sensitive to flourescent lights = the flickering REALLY bothers me, and the noise is just as bad. I used to complain and people would say "yeah... i don't like them much either" but the truth was they hadn't really noticed it as much as I had.
Old 01-27-04, 09:03 PM
Contributor

SubtleMuttle is on a distinguished road
Oh man, I feel ticklish just reading that. When I'm tickled I laugh and smirk, but it hurts!! But when people do it the laugher just eggs them on, and they don't get it when I say, "Cut that out or I'll hit you!" I have a hard-to-control tickle reflex to lash out, I've kneed a few people in a bad place by accident just because they carried on thinking they were causing true laughter. In a group of friends and aquantances, when people start getting a bit familiar, the question will come up, "How ticklish are you?" [with a mischevious grin]. True friends have told them, "NO- not her, don't even think about it!"

On an off topic, I've had a cat for about 17 years who's hypersensitive to ME, and will bite someone's ankle when they tickle me! My 8 lb bodyguard with a saggy tummy and one fang.
Old 01-27-04, 11:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
sounds and smells bother me the most. strong perfume, loud noises make me react physically. my husband doesn't get it. and guess what? he is the loudest - he is deaf in one ear. he even breathes loud.....talk about the odd couple.

my daughter always had clothes that were itchy. didn't get it till she was dx w/add... but, some clothes make me itchy, too.
Baruch Spinoza

Old 01-28-04, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Justolme is on a distinguished road
Same here. Sounds and Smells bug me the most. My husband is also deaf in one ear and it drives me crazy how loud he listens to the TV. We argue more about the damn loud TV than anything.

He doesn't understand that loud sounds or noises hurt my ears. I can just feel them shrilling when I walk into the room when the TV is blairing.
Old 01-28-04, 12:38 AM
Contributor

Brianne will become famous soon enough
Joan I know the feeling on the GUM chewing.......................i can't stand it when my mother or grandmother chew gum more than anyone else...............................they both smack it like a cow LOL!................I don't even have to be doing anything and it drives me up a wall. I always tell mom to stop because I can't even hear myself think let alone do anything else. She will ask me something when chewing it and I forget what she said right away cause the noise is so irritating to me! My grandmother is just a loud eater she can't seem to remember to chew with her mouth closed half the time. LOL So, because I still live at home and my grandmother lives here too I go upstairs and eat in my room. They think I do just because I have sence my teen years and then just figured I was being a normal teen. I just don't have the heart to tell my grandmother...................though mom tells her she is loud sometimes. So I think even if I didn't have ADD (mom doesn't) I would still hate the way my grandmother eats. *sigh* LOL!
I am also a light sleeper. Must be cool or I get night sweats. YUCK! and must have a fan going because of my sinuses so I can breath. I also sleep better when someone is there to share the bed...........................but if they snore AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh! lol I made my ex get the thorat spray and the nasal strips just so I could sleep. LOL I was glad that stuff actually works but felt bad for him cause the throat spray doesn't taste good.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart!

Forgetfulness is a sign of genius!

-Bri
Old 01-28-04, 12:51 AM
Contributor

Brianne will become famous soon enough
Justome,
I had that issue with my ex. Drove me crazy. He doesn't hear well in one ear and he lived in an apt and with it that loud that close to your face OUCH! headache.I had said something to him one time about it and oh no he made a mistake. His friends were there at the time. He made the comment well you don't pay the rent. I was like no but I clean this place I do your arands and I have paid for his food and groceries some cause he didn't know how to save. I was so mad he said that esp with his friends there. I ran into the bedroom and he came in there and couldn't figure out why I was so upset. I said you just made me feel like thousands of house wifes around the world feel. Just because I don't make money I don't get any respect. He felt so bad he still appoligizes for it today. And then says if he could pay me to do the things I have for him he would because I did so much for him and got him out of things. I told him don't ever take me for granted again.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart!

Forgetfulness is a sign of genius!

-Bri