ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-04, 11:01 PM

bekindtoedward is on a distinguished road
other: dust, pollen.

i have a yearlong allergic rhinitis
Old 03-11-04, 12:35 PM

Beep! is on a distinguished road
I LOVE sushi. It is my favorite food. I like it more for its texture than taste. There is something wonderful about the density and contrast between the rice and the fish or vegetables.

I can't walk on certian flooring barefooted. Gives me the shivers.
Old 03-13-04, 09:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

codeman38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by BIG
If you're interested in the relationship between Hypersensitivity and ADD, check out this Hypersensitivity Survey
Wow, that's a really interesting link... I'm saving that in my bookmarks for when someone complains about my own hypersensitivity to stimuli.

And I know exactly what you guys are talking about, too. Sometimes, the texture of a particular food I'm eating is a bit 'off' and makes me gag. Clothes that pose no problem for others make me itch like mad. A few times, I've been so overwhelmed by the noise in a restaurant that I've literally had to cover my ears to prevent myself from going into some sort of meltdown.

And of course, I can hear the high-pitched squealing from a TV or monitor that's on but showing a blank screen. I can also hear dog whistles, for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-04, 10:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
I am sound sensitive, smell and touch sensitive and even sight. I have realized a cluttered room is too much 'distraction' for me. I can't settle down. I can't think, my eyes are easily drawn to so manythings.

I also have chronic urticarea, allergies that come and go, sensitive to pressure on my skin, temp changes, stress and anxiety..........once my eyes blistered.........been in anaphylacix before.................Im a ball of nerve endings
Old 03-13-04, 10:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Oh and my youngest kid? I finally broke down and bought her socks online with no seam............hopefully mornings will be easier
Old 03-15-04, 08:27 PM
Banned

ADDled is on a distinguished road
Jees, this thread is so ME.
I hate getting sticky fingers and find that other people secrete a LOT of grease .... from using their mice and keyboards.
After touching their KB/mice, there's this sort of grainy/greasy deposit that has to be washed off my fingers.
I'm VERY sensitive to loud/high pitched noises and find loud TV ad.s unbelievably annoying.
I have an exaggerated noise-startle reflex which can even make my leg jibber.
I drive a lot at night and have real problems with headlights, streetlights, porch lights and bright, cloud-diffused sunlight - and drive with my sun visor down day AND night.
I also have olfactory issues and am loathe ALL perfumes and aftershaves, along with a whole bunch of other smells, some of which make my eyes smart or make me cough or want to puke.
I hold a special place for GARLIC - which is the most vile substance imaginable .... the smell gives me a headache and very serious nausea.
Apparently, many animals and insects are powerfully averse to garlic - so it's not just me and my mum.
Another aversion is people who clank their fork against their teeth when eating - WOW ! - that's worse than nails down a blackboard (even if the most beautiful girl in the world wanted my hand in marriage, I'd turn her down on the spot if she was a fork-clanker .... I just can't sit at the same table as these people).
Whenever I wash up, I never dry the cutlery as it just sets my teeth too much on edge .... eeeechhh !
Old 03-16-04, 05:13 AM
Banned

ADDled is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention my hearing coup-de-gras - I can hear BATS .... hehe.
That's right, bats - from up to half a mile away when they're flying high.
I've only come across one or two others (on the net, of course) who can hear them too.
One of them was a zoology student and went on a field trip with a sonic detector.
On the first night out hunting for a bat, he told the course-leader he could hear one nearby - and was poo-poo'd.
Five seconds later, it showed up on the detector.
Bat sonar isn't really a sound heard in the ear, so much as a registration deeper in the head - presumably in the inner ear (unless I have particularly bat-like skull acoustics or something).
Loud noises such as blasting tannoy announcements at airports are a problem - when I have to put a finger in one ear.
Or people talking way too loud in the car - particularly on the phone, I just have to put a finger in one ear.
Sometimes I wish I had a sound-meter, just to demonstrate how loud these sounds actually are.
I also have a problem with shampoos and detergents - some of which are unbelievably penetrating and offensive.

Last edited by ADDled; 03-16-04 at 05:31 AM..
Old 03-19-04, 12:22 AM
Jr Member

shteklatte is on a distinguished road
Exclamation if you agree with me, say so

Okay, here's my 2 cents.

i say DEATH to all people eating popcorn in a theater (thats a lot of people)
people breathing loudly through their nose, ticking clocks, TVs left on, uncooked mushrooms and the foulest vegetable that ever sprouted on our green earth, CELERI!

Wouldn't the world be a better place ? hmm?

thought so.

;-)
Old 03-19-04, 12:27 AM
Forum ADDvocate

well maybe not death but definately a good hosing down with a fire hose.
Old 03-19-04, 12:35 AM
Jr Member

pleeeeeeeease

can we at least have death to celeri ?

please

pretty please with sugar on top.
The Following User Says Thank You to shteklatte For This Useful Post:
manismom (10-01-10)
Old 03-19-04, 12:40 AM
Forum ADDvocate

but celery is good ! Now mince meat pie, that is evil and needs to die
Old 03-19-04, 12:50 AM
Jr Member

ummmm, technically it IS dead.

its 12 and i haven't showered or started doing my lab report due for 8 tommorrow morning.

Aye, the agony.
Old 03-25-04, 09:15 PM

iced_cooly is on a distinguished road
That survey was really interesting, I've always been really sensitive to clothes.

My Nanna always knitted me wool stuff and I absolutely could not wear it, I HATED the feel of it on my kneck or wrists.

I used to never wear watches, I do know but the band is very loose and I take it off as soon as I go home.

I also hardly ever wear my hair down because I hate the feel of my hair on my ears.

I only wear white or grey cotton or cotton/spandex gym socks, no other kind at all.

I won't get into how much I hate pantyhose.

I cannot wear breifs for underwear, they go up too high and the elastic on my stomach is sooo irritating.

I won't wear polyester, I hate the way it feels and I think I must have a sensitive nose because it's got a weird smell to it that I also hate. All my clothes have to be cotton or a cotton blend.

So yeah, as you can imagine I was a difficult kid to take clothes shopping lol.
Old 03-25-04, 09:17 PM

iced_cooly is on a distinguished road
oh yeah and as for having sensitive ears.....during dinner I can't stand silence because then you can hear everyone chew...
the sound of chewing and swallowing ****es me off like you wouldn't believe, it's like nails on a chalkboard..

and now that i think of it, I really do have a sensitive nose! especially as a kid, my friends house had this strange smell to it, it wasn't bad or anything, but it was weird, kinda like a tomato sauce or something. and sometimes i'd just start gagging because of the smell. It would happen whenever I met anyone else that smelled like curry or something. Certain smells just seem to overwhelm me, and I still have that problem.
Old 03-26-04, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Wheezie has disabled reputation
and my husband thinks it just me.... ha! he's wrong again -- he'll be so pleased to find out

i can't stand certain textures of fabric. polyester (obviously) and wool blankets are the *worst*

i hate cooked peas!

i was a vegetarian for years because it was easier than dealing with the kinnigly bits, fat and tendons and bone in meat.

etc., etc.