ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.52%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.23%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 36.99%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.88%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 397 80.69%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.82%
Claustrophobia 156 31.71%
Sensitive to certain smells 263 53.46%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 77 15.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-04, 12:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
I just heard a comic named Mitch Hedberg compare wearing a turtleneck to having a really weak guy choke you....all day long. I feel the same way.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlakeyGirl For This Useful Post:
manismom (10-01-10)
Old 04-03-04, 01:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
I cant spread sheets out on the bed, I cant walk barefoot in grass, any grass, the feel of my scrubs cant be tolerated, I found scrubs that are a different lighter material finally, I used to cry at fireworks (the noise is too much for me) My rotten cousin and older sister once taped me being chased by them with cap guns and me screaming from the noise. I hate to be tickled and as a kid would cry if you tickled me. My same sister tied a balloon to my wrist to watch me scream ( I was afraid it would pop) The scare shock startle reaction is so heavy i literally fall (same sister enjoyed sneaking up on me for that very reason---and people wonder why Im in therapy?)
Old 05-16-04, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

prumont is on a distinguished road
sensitive to clothing labels, acrylics, prickly/scratchy fabric (they all make my skin 'crawl' or 'buzz'), loud noises, cold makes me sneeze, cannot sleep unless warm

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-04, 12:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

steveb is on a distinguished road
I sneeze when going from inside out into the sunlight, I am not sure if that is related.

About skin issues:

When I wnt to my doctor far a checkup and to pursue ADD meds, he saw a red stripe on my arm.
He rubbed his fingernail backwards (opposite of a scratch) down my other arm and it durned red.
He said that I had too much histamine in my system.
I told him that I thought everyone's skin did that, but he said no.
Tags and such cause my skin to turn red first, then the itching starts. Even if I take the shirt off, where the tag was may still bother me.
It also explains why mesquito bites are so much worse for me than other people. I also get hives (which are too much histomine) on the inside of my knuckles (like where a ring goes) and on my elbows. Hives on semi-calased skin is insanely itchy. (Gross: I usually end up scratching until the hives swell and I end up ripping the skin off :sick: )
I also get chest and neck rashes when a fever breaks from being sick.

Anyway, I guess I am wondering how many of my skin sensitivities are related to this histomine issue, or maybe my histomine issue is related to my skin sensitivity.

I just started taking a 24 hour non-drowsy over the counter generic of Claritin every morning, now that it only $10 a month.
I am curious if any of my skin sensitivities change.
Old 05-31-04, 02:20 PM
Jr Member

Teach35 is on a distinguished road
Wow. I never thought about my hyper-sensitivities being related to ADD. I've seen a lot of info lately lumping ADD into the Autism Spectrum Disorders. I guess that makes sense. I knew a guy with severe Autism once that always had on headphones to block out all the other noise.

I, too, say "Down with Celery!" (taste and stringy texture.) Also, the smell of cauliflower cooking has always made me gag.

And "silent" meals, too - eek- Please turn on the radio! My brother still chews with his mouth open. And the worst is chewing and mouth breathing at the same time! (Whew.)

I once dated someone who smoked. Not in the house or around me much. Even so, I could smell cigarette smoke on their breath in the middle of the night. Like from deep withing their lungs. I couldn't stand it! And the smell of a person changes if they've started smoking again, that's how I knew a couple of my friends had started smoking again.

Almost all perfumes give me an instant headache! I have to hold my breath and run away if I accidently find myself in the perfume section of a store. I too, must gingerly smell every product I buy. And "fragrance free" is a lie.

Food textures - yeah. Anything with lots of textures mixed can be a problem. (Salsa, potato/egg/chicken.....salad, soup with greens...) And anything that's not the texture I expected from the look/smell of the food.

I mute almost all commercials on tv because they're too loud, and all amplification is pretty much painful. I've embarrased some of my friends by wearing ear plugs at movies or concerts or clubs. The funny thing is that I often speak loudly myself, if there's other noise in the room. It's like the other noise is so loud I need to shout to hear myself.

Also electrical noise. There's some sort of adapter on the electrical cord to my keyboard (piano) that buzzes even when the keyboard is off. Drives me nuts, others don't seem to notice it. I was sitting in the dentist's waiting room the other day filling out paperwork when I heard the sound of a tooth being drilled. A sharp pain went through my mouth.

I have to sleep with a fan on and have since college, even in the dead of winter. I have a noise machine, but I can't always use it because I can hear the pattern in the white noise if I think about it even a little bit.

I'm never comfortable in my clothes! Any new shirt I buy must have a v-neck or be button-up. Waist bands on bottoms and underwear that don't match up are maddening. Sometimes I want to tear off a shirt if it suddenly feels too tight in the wrists or shoulders. But then I'm bothered if they're too big because the material bunches up. I wear a watch, but have to take it off at times because it feels like it's cutting off the circulation to my hand, even though it's the same tightness that I always wear it.

And cold bothers me, especially humid-cold. On a day with high humidity and temps in the 70's, I feel like all my clothes are damp and I'm freezing. Everyone else is walking around in shorts saying it's hot, and I'm putting on socks and an extra shirt. Coldness makes my ankles and knees hurt. Really painful aching.

And yes, empathy. If someone is hurt, I instantly grab the part of my body on which they are hurt, as if it will keep me from getting hurt there or something. I can't stand anyone being bullied, I either get angry or tearfully sad, depending on how the person being bullied reacts.

Sorry this is so long - I'm actually excited about this. Another light-bulb in my head turns on!

Thanks for listening - H
The Following User Says Thank You to Teach35 For This Useful Post:
manismom (10-01-10)
Old 08-01-04, 05:02 PM
Jr Member

Jewell is on a distinguished road
I can't stress enough how much reading all this means to me.

Touching: For a long time was couldn't let other people touch me. If anyone touched me...oh gosh just the thought of it. Junior year in high school a friend of mine found out I didn't like being touched, so he said he would give me a hug everyday even if I didn't want it. Though I hated it at first it really helped. I became best friends who touch all the time... so I had to cope with the hypersensitivity. But I realize now that the friends I love the most are thoughs who extented touch to me. Touch the one thing I hate, but crave and want more then anything else...

I'm always cold. My family calls me blanket girl cause even at 18 I still drag my blanket around with me.

For the longest time when I was young I couldn't wear jeans, I just hated the way they feel. As always, when I'm stressed or anixous I can feel everything on my skin, even the air. It can be so overwelming. When anxitey is at its worst I have to cover up myself... everywhere..., long sleeves, knee high socks, gloves, ect. My friends would look at me weird when I'd show up for a gathering with gloves on. Just being able to cover my whole body up is comforting, its like detaching yourself. When I cover my body up I can control what my skin feels.

Pain has never really bothered me much, don't know if it ADD related. But I can sit in uncomfortable positions and do painful things and it doesn't even phase me.

My sense of smell is very senstive. I know smells so well. And I can pick out close family and friends by their smell. I also smell everything. I just wish my sense of smell was even better, I love it.

I'm also very senstive to others feelings. If I'm in a good mood and I converse with someone who is hiding there saddness I can tell... and I start to feel they way they feel. And I feel like I know some people inside and out even if they don't truely know me. I know exactly how their feeling... sometimes its nice to know, and other times I just want to feel happy to feel happy.

I really wish I could make sense of all these senses... put good use to them.
Old 08-13-04, 12:10 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Good questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewell
I really wish I could make sense of all these senses... put good use to them.
Old 08-21-04, 09:47 PM

LuLuG is on a distinguished road
Andreaa000-

Your post on the cotton ball phobia KILLED me! I had never heard of such a thing until I met my husband. If he has to get an aspirin out of a container that has a piece of cotton in it, he WIGS out. He always has me remove the cotton. But if I'm mad at him and refuse, he makes this weird yell "argh!" sound as he grabs it (as though he touching a piece of poop!) and then he flings it across the room. The first time I saw him do this, I thought he was mucking around and I DIED laughing. But as time went by I learned that it really PAINS him to touch it. I still crack up when he does that (and so does he).

I showed him your post and he was so HAPPY to know that there are others that feel similarly....

Last edited by LuLuG; 08-21-04 at 09:52 PM..
Old 08-28-04, 12:23 PM

ET_BUBBLY is on a distinguished road
Wow, I actually read every post...course I also took my morning meds hehe.
I can totally understand about sensitivity to touching things, with a few exceptions.

When I think about it, I think I am kinda wierd about cotton, but the worse thing for me is styrafoam. AH! If someone rubs against it or scratches it OMG, I hate it...I react the same with this as one would with scratching on a chalkboard. If I need to drink something out of a styrafoam cup, it's a last resort.

I hate tags, thank god for tagless clothes and undies. WOOHOO! hehe If I have tags on my clothes I cut them off.

If I wear any kind of jewery, which is rare, it has to be cloth or natural. So for example, I'll wear a bracelet that cloth strung together, or a necklace that's seashell or something like that...but I don't like metal. I wear a golf watch on my belt buckle or on a chain that I swing into my pocket.

I LOVE NUMNUMS
yes, you heard me right. clothing, bed stuff, etc that I consider numnums are really soft and comfy.

Other things that I am very sensitive to are edges of things. Now I don't know if this is an OCD thing or sensory thing or what. I have to have blankets with smooth silky like edges on them and when I'm laying in bed or sitting on it I need to play with the "edgies". I play with them using my hands or feet...and I even love moving my face along it. When I say I play with them, I fold the edges then smooth them out with my hands, I string them in and out between my fingers and/or toes. Sometimes I find myself doing this when all I want to do is go to sleep but I either feel like I need to do this or it feels good so I have to do it...I'm not sure.

When I wear certain types of shorts I also play and fold those edges...constantly. It's like a compulsion, and like the bed stuff I do it to the point where I actually get annoyed about doing it but for some reason i feel like I need to do it. I'm actually considering throughing those shorts out just so I don't do that.

My brother has neurological problems and he actually does does some of the same things. It may be quite possible that it's an OCD thing but just not diagnosed.
Old 09-17-04, 02:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

codeman38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach35
I once dated someone who smoked. Not in the house or around me much. Even so, I could smell cigarette smoke on their breath in the middle of the night. Like from deep withing their lungs. I couldn't stand it! And the smell of a person changes if they've started smoking again, that's how I knew a couple of my friends had started smoking again.
Yes! It's such an irritating smell... of course, the fact that I'm allergic to it doesn't help things much.

Quote:
Almost all perfumes give me an instant headache! I have to hold my breath and run away if I accidently find myself in the perfume section of a store. I too, must gingerly smell every product I buy. And "fragrance free" is a lie.
YES. I always get a headache when I go through the perfume aisle... or even the detergent aisle at a grocery store. And it is rather annoying how so many "unscented" things are in fact scented.

And having to walk past people puffing on cigarettes is no more fun...

Quote:
Food textures - yeah. Anything with lots of textures mixed can be a problem. (Salsa, potato/egg/chicken.....salad, soup with greens...)
I've always wondered why I don't mind mixing some types of food but can't stand mixing others... I think that might have a lot to do with it.

Quote:
I've embarrased some of my friends by wearing ear plugs at movies or concerts or clubs. The funny thing is that I often speak loudly myself, if there's other noise in the room. It's like the other noise is so loud I need to shout to hear myself.
Oh, I don't see how people can handle such loud noise! Even restaurants can be an auditory overload for me if there's enough chatter. And though I'm normally a rather quiet person, I will speak very loudly if there's enough background noise-- I've always wondered how 'normal' people are able to hear me at a more moderate volume when I can barely even hear my own self, much less anyone else...

Quote:
Also electrical noise. There's some sort of adapter on the electrical cord to my keyboard (piano) that buzzes even when the keyboard is off. Drives me nuts, others don't seem to notice it. I was sitting in the dentist's waiting room the other day filling out paperwork when I heard the sound of a tooth being drilled. A sharp pain went through my mouth.
People are always surprised when I can tell that a TV or monitor is turned on but receiving no signal. There's this distinctive high-pitched squealing from TVs that are turned on that's rather unmistakable...but apparently most people can't hear it.

Anyone else able to see the flickering when using a computer monitor set at 60Hz or below, incidentally? It drives me insane, and I always have to increase the refresh rate just to be able to look at the screen for any reasonable length of time.

Quote:
I have to sleep with a fan on and have since college, even in the dead of winter. I have a noise machine, but I can't always use it because I can hear the pattern in the white noise if I think about it even a little bit.
Yep. I always sleep with a fan on, too... if it's dead silence, it somehow seems more bothersome. And hearing noises from neighboring rooms and such doesn't exactly help things.
Old 09-19-04, 02:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
I can relate to almost everything everyone has written here! It's no wonder that I am exhausted at the end of every day. Always having to "find" a "place" where I can be comfortable, both physically and emotionally.
Old 09-19-04, 02:44 AM

Eve is on a distinguished road
I can't stand how cotton balls feel, they make me cringe. Also acrylic and wool are irritating. I'm pretty sensitive to a lot of things.
Old 11-07-04, 01:43 PM

BenFoldsNerd is on a distinguished road
I feel a huge sense of relief after reading this thread! Finally -- some "normal" people who are irritated by "normal" things!

Celery tastes like the smell of a hundred wet bandaids.
Old 11-16-04, 02:28 PM

MaybeADD_in_DC is on a distinguished road
This is interesting about a possible relation between ADHD and hypersensitivity ...

I'm super sensitive to sounds, especially rhythmic or repetitive. When I was a kid I once had to wait in my mom's car for a long time with a ticking clock installed in the dashboard, and got so agitated by the sound that I tried to break the clock and had almost bashed the thing in by the time my mom got back. My mom couldn't understand why I would do such a thing and I got in big trouble. To this day I can't listen to ticking clocks, and if I hear something like very faint rhythmic bass sounds coming up through the floorboards it drives me crazy because then I can't focus on anything else, it feels utterly intrusive even if anyone else would probably barely be able to hear it. At work I have to play white noise on my headphones and block out all other noise to be able to get any work done at all.

Also have pretty sensitive skin, I can only wear silk or cotton clothes, anything else itches me to death, even cashmere or angora. Also very sensitive to cold, am always wrapped up in a blanket at work ... people make fun of me for it.

And extremely sensitive to certain smells - like tobacco. Can't be within 20 ft of a smoker, even outdoors.
Old 11-16-04, 02:53 PM

MaybeADD_in_DC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleMuttle

On the flip side- is anyone hypersensitive to something in a positive way? I really like clicking those sharp metal buttons (like the ones on old stereo equipment) that make a clean snap-click sound. I don't know what it is about those, but I swear that if I could record that sound it would have a really cool wave shape!

I love the smell of fresh copper (my imagination?) (but old pennies stink.. actually, money stinks!).

What is it about the bubble wrap? I know I'm not alone in that!
As far as positives go - it's funny, I have always been hypersensitive to music and sounds, but I majored in music in college - there was definitely a positive side to the sensitivity as well ... I could get into the classical composers in a way other people seemingly couldn't. I was one of those people who would cry over a particularly beautiful performance. But the inattention problem would get in the way & I couldn't listen for long periods of time b/c my concentration would wander. I did best with really short, fast intense pieces ...